Thailand Driving License: Tough new tests from 1st June 2014

At least 20 hours of driver education and teach people that it is important that you take into account each other in traffic. Consideration of traffic is almost completely lacking in Thailand. More alcohol controls and much harsher penalties for drunk driving. More speed checks with stiffer penalties. Much tougher penalties for those crazy overtaking that one sees every day. Much tougher penalties for driving without a license. The introduction of a law on compulsory motor insurance covering damage their own vehicle may cause. Then maybe it would be less accidents in the future!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You bitch and moan and complain about the lack of good rules etc. and as soon as they start upgrading the system you bitch and moan and complain.

It's skepticism. Read the damn thread.

So sorry, you bitch and moan and complain because you are a skeptic. Thank you for explaining.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Every time I see one of these threads with "superior" farangs going on about Thai drivers I always wonder what it would be like back in farang countries if the police suddenly announced they would no longer be stopping drivers for DUI, speeding, red lights, etc. ? I suspect they would drive even worse than Thais especially in places like Italy or Miami. Considering that there is no fear of police intervention here I think the Thai's are actually RELATIVELY restrained. And to be honest I think I actually prefer having to be extra careful here in return for not having to constantly be looking in my mirror for the police or cameras sending me a ticket in the mail for some minor infraction like in the states or Briton.

Well bob it really is not about superior farangs, but all about Superior driving laws, superior training, superior policing,superior license testing..........i could go on forever. alt=rolleyes.gif>

Well use of the superior word may have side tracked people from the main point of my post but I can't help but think about some of the crazy farang drivers I have rode with here in Thailand and all the drunk farangs coming home from the bar in their pickups drunk on their ass. A bit hypocritical. I keep remembering my friend in Patong who bragged about being in 11 motorbike accidents since he has come here, all drunk of course. Certainly they are no less threat than the Thais with their bad driving habits.

It was the license centre that said that It would be OK to drive for 6 months on UK license as police would assume I was a tourist.

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice.

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials. Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid.

I just looked at my Thai liscense and of course, it expired on the 28th of March 2014. Does anyone know the regulations / requirements / problems or pitfals to avoid in obtaining a renewal? Does it matter that my liscense is 2 months expired?

Input will be appreciated.. I will post my experience.

I have been driving on my UK licence for the last 10 years,no problem.In that time I have had a couple of minor bumps,once with a taxi,he pulled out without looking and another with a m/c who cut across the front of me and I had no chance of missing.I have always maintained 1st class insurance and when the assesors came they took a picture of my licence and no questions asked.I used to get stopped regularly on the Don Mueng tollway.Showed them my licence which they accepted.The reason I didn't bother with a Thai licence is because a friend of mine went to the Lad Phroa office to get an international licence and he was told he did not need his UK licence was ok,Just as an extra precaution if I get pulled over I never give them my licence but hold it so they can read it.

Then you have been exactly the same as many Thais for the last 9 1/2 yrs .... driving WITHOUT a license ......... your UK license is only valid for 6 months (enough time to allow you to get a Thai license)

Can you show me where it states this,I would hate to break the law.

You will find out the hard way when you have a bad crash and find out that your insurance is invalid due to not having a valid license. Sorry you not only do not have a valid drivers license but no insurance as well. Insurance companies love you for paying the fees and they have no risk at all. It would be so easy to do it right and get a Thai license.

Also a so called international license is only recognized with a valid home license and never more than one year. Protect your self ( and family) get a Thai license and Thai insurance and do not wait for others to show you why. You should not be on the road if you do not know. All the best and get that good feeling when your name is called and they hand you your license. Cheerio tooduloo

Edited by Jimbolai

'... the new test will bring driving in Thailand to that of international driving standards ...'

Now, now, let's stick to one small step for driving's Thai man and forget, for the moment, the one giant step for driving's mankind. Medical science has still to develop pigs with flying genes.

i thought this could have been more serious like have to be well dressed for the test

Ohh Noooo ... not well dressed blink.png alt=blink.png>

Soooo much better in LOS v/s Philly. In PP men must wear long trousers to get a visitor extension. Yes it is stranger than truth but true all the same.

In Thailand this simply means, a new black market.

... and what about all these millions of terrible drivers already on the road who slips away from this test.

... but, my guess is, this is Thailand after all, all these 50 questions will be just as easy as the previous 30, and the actual driving test which they claim will be much harder... Yeah right! Most likely just another insult to Thais intelligence.

A spokesperson for the DLT also went on to confirm that it plans to expand the number of driver training centres nationwide in order to accommodate the increase in training and studying time and that the DLT is actively seeking new trainers to help teach the revised driving curriculum.

Who is going to train the trainers?

Schools use Farang English teachers because Thai English teachers do not come up to the same standards. So how about driving instructors from Western countries? Although I am not sure about driving instructors from countries who drive on the right.

It's not going to make people better drivers or reduce their levels of road rage. The Roads in Thailand are full of unlicensed drivers and idiots. Get the police out onto the roads and actually book people breaking the laws.

Wishful Thinking tongue.png......Haven't seen it in 44 years!

Driving or riding without a legal licence, first offence, fine 2000 Baht, with vehicle or motorbike returned with a warning on payment. Second offense. vehicle or motorbike confiscated for good. Policemen given a cash bonus for amounts of fines collected. Problem solved, road deaths down to a fraction of what they are now.

It's not going to make people better drivers or reduce their levels of road rage. The Roads in Thailand are full of unlicensed drivers and idiots. Get the police out onto the roads and actually book people breaking the laws.

Wishful Thinking tongue.png......Haven't seen it in 44 years!

Yes. but no pulling in drivers for not using the inside lane when the road has been damaged by overloaded lorries.

Wishful Thinking alt=tongue.png>......Haven't seen it in 44 years!

Driving or riding without a legal licence, first offence, fine 2000 Baht, with vehicle or motorbike returned with a warning on payment. Second offense. vehicle or motorbike confiscated for good. Policemen given a cash bonus for amounts of fines collected. Problem solved, road deaths down to a fraction of what they are now.

Why not a 10 year prison sentence on first offense just to prevent 2nd offenses. Are you for real?

Wishful Thinking alt=tongue.png>......Haven't seen it in 44 years!

Why not a 10 year prison sentence on first offense just to prevent 2nd offenses. Are you for real?

Yes, I'm for real. things have now gone too far in this country where unlicenced drivers and riders are concerned.

Agree 100 percent

Over 100 likes for a single post, is this a record on this forum.

Agree 100 percent

Over 100 likes for a single post, is this a record on this forum.

Why all the negativity about Thai drivers...are you all disgruntled fat old expats...who would not be happy anywhere...?

You are obviously not a driver or rider. Much that I love the Thai people, their non confrontational ways, and their honesty. It has to be said that about 90% of them are not fit to be on any road. Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

I love your avatar by the way.

I've always thought the BIB could make a lot of money by enforcing the law....

Examples...

Employ mobile road side mechanics to replace blown bulbs at an extortionate rate ^-^

Raise "spot fines" to match the value of the vehicle ^-^

Your first sentence is ridiculous, you must be a real capitalist. Don't you know that light bulbs can go at any time, drivers have no control over that, even Thai drivers.

I haven't got the time to read all the posts so this has probably already been said.

If you want driving to international standards then you need a test like in those countries that have good driving standards. That means not in a car park.

A test means absolutely NOTHING to those who don't/won't/take the test. When there are little/no consequences for operating a motor vehicle - ANY motor vehicle then what's the point?

I/we live in Isaan. I'll bet 99 percent of individuals operating motorized vehicles have no idea a/b road etiquette/rules of the road/nor any semblance of passing a test. Hell in our village and surrounding ones there are children as young as ???? 8 yrs old ridding motorbikes - with passengers. I even saw one whose feet could not reach the ground while seated.

Here they typically drive/ride however they choose including going the "wrong way" or making a right turn from the wrong lane into the wrong land.

Is there any wonder why Thailand has so many accidents?

Will "police" lol lol lol ever enforce anything here in Thailand???? lol ahhhhhhhhhh I crack myself up sometimes. lol

Cheers to all and hope for your continued safety on these dangerous/deadly roads.

Cops in Surin fined me for not having my licence on me wilst overloaded pickups and 12yo kids driving motorbikes without helmets passed unmalested & I have a 10yr clean & accident free licence in camera crazy UK.

Guess I deserved the fine as I was the only one in the queue wearing a seat belt!

I've seen those books. They're full of cash post-4641-1156694572.gif.pagespeed.ce.33 post-4641-1156693976.gif.pagespeed.ce.Jg

Making the driving test harder will NOT stop the idiots that are colour blind. Well I think they must be because I am sure you are all aware of the idiots who jump the red lights up to 10 seconds after they have changed.

The police here need to step up to the plate and

1) When they stop motorbike riders for not wearing a hat they should also check that their lights are working. How many of you have been driving in a poorly lit area only to see a shadow in front of you which turns out to be a motorbike???

2) Make sure when there are roads works in hand that at nightime these roadworks are clearly lit so drivers can see the roadworks at night time. A friend of mine recently came back to Pattaya from the airport at night only to nearly plough into unlit road works.

3) As for the drivers that jump the red lights put cameras at these junctions as they do in most Western countries. Secondly when they have the police blockades on Sukumvit road just before Pattaya Thai have police with radios who can communicate with their colleagues down the road and get these drivers stopped and fined at least 1000B.

No matter how hard the new test will be once passed drivers will copy others on the roads and the accidents will continue to happen. Stop and fine the idiots out there now and set them up as an example to new drivers. Once the police take positive action the word will quickly spread and then these selfish drivers may start driving safetly

At most of the traffic lights here when i stop on the bike at the front i can count 15-20 red light runners each time in full view of the police sitting in their aircon box, this happens 24/7 non stop , scooters, trucks,cars, buses, vans,

While ago when pulling out of the post office onto the main road looking right for oncoming traffic a bib coming up the road on the wrong side against the traffic hit my front wheel, sure he was only doing 3-4kmh but anyway he fell then got up and retrieved his helmet which had fallen off and gave me a mouthfull as he rode away,

In my opinion thailand does,nt have a real police force...there is no one enforcing the traffic laws, I doubt the police even know the traffic laws or have any interest,

Thailand can make whatever changes it wants regarding requirements to get a licence or threaten heavier fines, until they enforce any existing traffic laws it will make no difference to the carnage on the roads here,

be careful out there.

Many years ago when I applied for a motorcycle driver's license I failed the written test three times in one day. So I gave up and went back to the desk and asked the lady when could I take the test again. She said the next day but since I had a valid driver's license for a car from my home country she said I could get a Thai driver's license for the car right away with no test.

I said fine, paid the fee and got my license. I can only assume that the signs for motorbikes are different than the signs for autos. LOL You gotta love this place. It's an idiot's delight.

How about - no licence = no insurance cover and liable to pay all expenses; caught without a licence - 1000 baht first time, 5000 second time, jail 3rd time. Even if the current standard of licencing is lousy, just get unlicensed licensed first....and be especially tough on bike riders, such as those jumping red lights.