Canadian is new Australian Honorary Consul in Phuket

Lite Beer

like like this line, 'They also assist and care with fostering some young boys whose parents had brought them to the gym for training.'

sounds like people drop off stray kids at the gym same as they drop off stray cats at the wat

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked if her style will be as confrontational as Mr Cunningham, whose reputation was such that police would sometimes ask that a person with a problem not call him, and whose name alone, if mentioned, would often make extortionists back off, she said, “No, not at all. That’s definitely not my style.”

So what is her style? A soft approach to the extortionists? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I would guess so as she has been appointed by the Thai Government

"been waiting for Thai government approval of her appointment"

I would say she is a yes woman for Thai officials and won't go in and fight to hard for Aussies and will favour Thais.

I am stunned! I have nothing against this Canadian woman, she is no doubt a decent person but WHY would the Australian Government appoint a CANADIAN, or indeed anyone other than an AUSTRALIAN to this position?

Surely there MUST be some suitable Australian in Phuket! Are all the Aussies in Phuket, drunken sleazebags or something?

• Like 1

In addition to her other attributes her last name is Ukrainian.. in 70s had a high school friend in Winnipeg with the same last name..maybe his daughter? Connection with Ukrainian and Russian legal cases all in one legal guidance for all in funny Phuket land..

Asked if her style will be as confrontational as Mr Cunningham, whose reputation was such that police would sometimes ask that a person with a problem not call him, and whose name alone, if mentioned, would often make extortionists back off, she said, “No, not at all. That’s definitely not my style.”

So what is her style? A soft approach to the extortionists? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I would guess so as she has been appointed by the Thai Government

"been waiting for Thai government approval of her appointment"

I would say she is a yes woman for Thai officials and won't go in and fight to hard for Aussies and will favour Thais.

First claim is not correct, second claim we'll have to wqait and see. But I see no reason at all to agree with your presumption.

• Like 1

A great way to increase business for your own law firm - become an Honorary Consul. biggrin.png

It would be a conflict of interest and unethical. She is representing the Australian Government and Australian people so I doubt that Australian authorities would allow her or her firm to represent people who have made a 1st complaint to her. It opens a door to possible corruption ie : kickbacks and Australia is very firm on that sort of thing.

• Like 1

So what is her style? A soft approach to the extortionists?

Don't forget her hubby runs a Muay Thai gym. Mess with her and there will be a crowd of Muay Thai boxers after your blood!! :)

while im sure she is good at what she does,and also attractive,typical of our australian govt who seem to think that overseas applicant are superior to our home grown applicant.I wonder if the canadian govt would appt an aussie person,ithink not(i know that would never happen)

JoePai, on 17 May 2014 - 09:48, said:

A sad state when there are no suitable Aussies whistling.gif

or maybe not silly enough to want the position.. oh well we are still part of the Commonwealth. Beside, one gets the impression you pushing s#it uphill with a Governor who doesn't perform his duties, he has even cancelled all meetings with the honorary consuls because they ask, and require answers, embarrassing questions, on things he has failed to do.

• Like 1

stickylies, on 17 May 2014 - 15:18, said:

You just have to say "mate" at the end of every sentence .......whistling.giftongue.png .... mate!

wrong...if you want be sarcastic get it right.... maaaaate. or better still..cobber.

• Like 1

A great way to increase business for your own law firm - become an Honorary Consul. biggrin.png

It would be a conflict of interest and unethical. She is representing the Australian Government and Australian people so I doubt that Australian authorities would allow her or her firm to represent people who have made a 1st complaint to her. It opens a door to possible corruption ie : kickbacks and Australia is very firm on that sort of thing.

"It would be a conflict of interest and unethical." - have you forgotten where you are? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Congratulations to her, but yes, I would have thought the first essential criteria for the job would have been, "Must be an Australian Citizen."

Its called outsourcing. The new budget in Australia meant we could not afford another Aussie politician or public servant.

The want too many lurks.

Maggusoil, on 17 May 2014 - 18:19, said:
NamKangMan, on 17 May 2014 - 14:15, said:

Congratulations to her, but yes, I would have thought the first essential criteria for the job would have been, "Must be an Australian Citizen."

Its called outsourcing. The new budget in Australia meant we could not afford another Aussie politician or public servant.

The want too many lurks.

Um, the honorary consul is NOT a politician or a public servant, so you comment is completely wrong. You, like me, may not like the current government, but hey, we still need to get our facts right.

Is she French/Canadian or carries a more an American/Canadian accent? Aussies just hate that American/Canadian accent. It is like being looked down on by Americans hard to tell the difference.

You go to the Australian Embassy, I was there 3 months ago and had to deal with an American who apparently knew more about Australia than Australians or so she thought. Very frustrating dealing with her and asked for an Australian and she said no Aussies work here.

Maggusoil, on 17 May 2014 - 18:19, said:
NamKangMan, on 17 May 2014 - 14:15, said:

The want too many lurks.

Um, the honorary consul is NOT a politician or a public servant, so you comment is completely wrong. You, like me, may not like the current government, but hey, we still need to get our facts right.

Isn't there a small renumeration for being an Honorary Consul? That renumeration would come from Australian tax payers.

You would think the Australian Government would like to "employ" a fellow Australian.

I am stunned! I have nothing against this Canadian woman, she is no doubt a decent person but WHY would the Australian Government appoint a CANADIAN, or indeed anyone other than an AUSTRALIAN to this position?

Read the OP!

"Mrs Hawryluk [...] holds a licence to practise law in New South Wales, Australia."

In addition to that she is a citizen of a Commonwealth realm.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1