Anyone else having problems with magicjack?

jaideeguy

I've been mostly happy with my magicjack for 7+ years, good clear connections, but for the last few months, MJ voice quality is getting worse, especially on the other end as my friends tell me...........clipped voice and eventually drops. Could be internet, or could it be that my MJ unit is failing, as it is now 7 years and has been used quite heavily?? I notice that they have a new model that doesn't require a computer, but still needs internet connection................any reviews??

Or, is anyone else having problems with their MJ??

No problems for me, still using my original mJ. I use it ~ 30 minutes per day. When I have an issue it invariably is the called party in the U.S. using a cordless phone.

Does every call drop? To the same people? Are they on a mobile phone? What happens when they call you back? Same thing?

I assume you are not using your internet connection for let's say downloading? Is your PC connected to your router via ethernet (cable) or via WiFi? Could anyone be poaching your network?

Maybe re-start your network device(s), and your PC, and use testmy.net to say, Dallas.

In theory you need a reliable ~ 80 Kbps up, and 80 Kpbs down (G.711 64 Kbps codec with overhead).

mJ is always offering heavily discounted/free (with a re-up) replacement magicJack Plus units, so maybe it's time to get a new one, if only as a back-up?

No problems for me, still using my original mJ. I use it ~ 30 minutes per day. When I have an issue it invariably is the called party in the U.S. using a cordless phone.

It seems to happen when calling almost any phone and most of my contacts are now cel phones in the US. I might mention that I'm using a cordless phone. Could that be the problem??

Does every call drop? To the same people? Are they on a mobile phone? What happens when they call you back? Same thing?

Some numbers seem to be better than others and often have to hang up and call back and that will sometimes clear the signal.................but not always.

I assume you are not using your internet connection for let's say downloading? Is your PC connected to your router via ethernet (cable) or via WiFi? Could anyone be poaching your network?

I'm in a very remote area with no poachers near, but I do use a locked wifi.

Maybe re-start your network device(s), and your PC, and use testmy.net to say, Dallas.

I'll give that a try next time.

In theory you need a reliable ~ 80 Kbps up, and 80 Kpbs down (G.711 64 Kbps codec with overhead).

Well, I'm paying TOT for 10mb down, but TIT and local speedtests tell me that I'm only getting 1+ mb.

mJ is always offering heavily discounted/free (with a re-up) replacement magicJack Plus units, so maybe it's time to get a new one, if only as a back-up?

Yeah, I was thinking same same as a back-up, but can I maintain my same number on another MJ device??

BTW,

I just DLed the MJ app onto my smart phone and will try it tomorrow to see how it works. I did a test call to a 24 hr business and sounded clear on a short call. I am curious how it works as my MJ was unplugged from my pc, yet I still have a signal.

Will give it a review on this thread tomorrow after i give it a trial.

Thanks loma........

Don't know I use global talk but have

Simular problem connection has echo only caller hear cannot update balance today first time my itune account has problem cannot recharge

Is not only the speed

Also the ping in Cambodia operator mobitel 250 ping

Was impossible to use any voice programm

All over 140 ping is not working

In Bali the mobile and also

DSL company's are very wise

Limited the upload to 200 kb

Also cannot use skype etc

384 kbit mostly enough the

12 call 384 edge plusconnection is even 10 Procent faster then true h after reach 3 gigs

But the upload itself is on true better on 384 mode !

It seems to happen when calling almost any phone and most of my contacts are now cel phones in the US. I might mention that I'm using a cordless phone. Could that be the problem??

Some numbers seem to be better than others and often have to hang up and call back and that will sometimes clear the signal.................but not always.

I'm in a very remote area with no poachers near, but I do use a locked wifi.

I'll give that a try next time.

Well, I'm paying TOT for 10mb down, but TIT and local speedtests tell me that I'm only getting 1+ mb.

Yeah, I was thinking same same as a back-up, but can I maintain my same number on another MJ device??

BTW,

I just DLed the MJ app onto my smart phone and will try it tomorrow to see how it works. I did a test call to a 24 hr business and sounded clear on a short call. I am curious how it works as my MJ was unplugged from my pc, yet I still have a signal.

Will give it a review on this thread tomorrow after i give it a trial.

Thanks loma........

The MJ app you just downloaded doesn't connect your smartphone to your magic jack to make the call. It uses your wifi network, or your mobile data network to route the call. With the MJ smartphone app, you can be anywhere in the world that you have a data connection to your smart phone, and your MJ app will ring to it. If you have the app on your smartphone and you are at home, you will notice that your "landline" will ring as well as the MJ app, allowing you to choose which device to take the call on.

The new MJ+ device plugs straight into a LAN port and does not require a computer to use it. Maybe time for an upgrade to one of these new ones for you.

I have been using Magic Jack for several years. 2 years ago I bought the new one that does not need a computer and it works just fine. I some times don't get a good connection so I just redial and usually this helps. I also downloaded the Magic Jack app for Iphone. My connection with the Iphone is very good. My home TOT DSL speed is usually around 6-10 mgs and the same when out and about.

Just a warning here. Yes, the new MagicJack does not require a computer to use it, but you must have a computer to initially set it up but does have the advantage over the older model since you no longer have to keep your computer on at all times

Mine works perfectly here in Thailand using TOT, have another year of service left and am definitely going to renew for another 5 years

I especially like the automated email notification that I received a call and the calling number, even if they don't leave a voice mail message

Just a warning here. Yes, the new MagicJack does not require a computer to use it, but you must have a computer to initially set it up but does have the advantage over the older model since you no longer have to keep your computer on at all times

Actually, I think the newest one being sold does not require a computer for setup either.

The MJ app you just downloaded...

The Android version looks much improved over the earlier versions.

Does this app. still drain the battery rapidly?

Is there any way to close the application? ("Quit" only seems to log you out.)

Yes, its seems to still be "always on" . I have to stop it in the task manager to get it to close.

The MJ app you just downloaded...

The Android version looks much improved over the earlier versions.

Does this app. still drain the battery rapidly?

Is there any way to close the application? ("Quit" only seems to log you out.)

I've been using the Android mJ app for the last few days, and with the loss of of GrooVeIP and no replacement with Hangouts (unless you have an iPhone, which is nutty) yet, I have to say it is OK. Still a crappy app. re: closing it down, but very handy to have.

Thanks for the heads up on the newer version as the original version was useless.

I think you can "marry" a new mJ device (magicJack Plus) to an existing account/number quite easily, but you couldn't use both an old and new device simultaneously.

A long time ago one hack an mJ adapter and use the details in any SIP app.; but they made the credentials dynamic to thwart this hack, unfortunately.