Thai mother continues to seek justice for slain daughter

webfact

Mother continues to seek justice for slain daughter
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

30233951-01_big.jpg
Payao

BANGKOK: -- Four years after the killing of her daughter, slain nurse volunteer Kamolked Akkahad, Payao Akkahad, has vowed to continue to pursue the legal case to punish soldiers and the then head of the now-defunct Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) Suthep Thaugsuban.

Payao said the result of the criminal court's inquest last year, which suggested that the military were behind the shootings at Wat Pathum Wanaram temple which led to the deaths of six people, has given her hope.

"The six deaths at Wat Pathum Wanaram was an act of indiscriminate killing in a no-fire zone by state security officers," she said. "How can I forget and forgive when those responsible have not apologised or expressed any remorse? Thai politicians do not know how to apologise. They kill people and are not punished. We need to change this practice."

Relatives of most of the 99 people killed on both sides, like Punsak Srithet, father of 17-year-old Samapun 'Cher' Srithet, who was slain on May 15, 2010 at Rang Nam Road, have virtually abandoned hope of finding the perpetrators.

Punsak said the reason for this was because there was little to cling to after four years except vague allusions by the criminal court that soldiers fired the shots.

"Thai political history has made it clear [that no one would be held responsible]. I knew from very first day [that my son was killed] that the chance [for justice] was slim," said Punsak.

Asked if such a massacre would be repeated again today, Punsak said he thought it was unlikely. However, he believes that lesser number of deaths will continue to be caused by political conflict.

Fight "a necessity"

As for Payao, she believes that the fight for justice for her daughter is a necessary deterrent for future killings with impunity. She pins hope on the belief that the current administration will not repeat the same "mistake" as the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration back in 2010, in allowing the perpetrators to escape justice.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-19

Fair enough, go for it lady.

But lets not forget the widow of the army officer who was killed by the grenade, she has been trying for 3 years to get any response from Chalerm regards the killing of her husband who was only doing his duty protecting the country.

And the lady killed in the grenade attack on the sky train station, someone who had no connection with any side and was only going about her normal business.

Then there are all the others who were killed or injured by bullets and grenades fired in the general direction of the security forces.

" fair enough, go for it lady" Really, have a little heart man. very uncool.

But lets not forget the widow of the army officer who was killed by the grenade, she has been trying for 3 years to get any response from Chalerm regards the killing of her husband who was only doing his duty protecting the country.

And the lady killed in the grenade attack on the sky train station, someone who had no connection with any side and was only going about her normal business.

Then there are all the others who were killed or injured by bullets and grenades fired in the general direction of the security forces.

And what would be wrong with saying that I consider it fair that she should seek justice for her daughter ?

And encouraging her to go for it ?

• Like 2

I am so sorry for her losses.

But ever since she decided to join and work inside the violent Red shirt camp, she must have prepared the consequent already.

If she want to be save, perhaps she should work for the Buddhist Monk, where their security guard are more professional and protective of their camp.

As a mother, I hope she will continue to fight for justice for her daughter. I would. Her daughter - a volunteer nurse, there to selflessly help people. Another good family, that has suffered through this period of insanity. I hope that given time, justice will prevail for her.

• Like 1

At some point, and I hope it is not in the too distant future, Thai security forces and the courts must agree on an appropriate level of force to be used against demonstrators who cross the line from civil disobedience to unlawful conduct. Water canon, tear gas, and rubber bullets are used against demonstrators all over the world to protect and preserve the public order. Unfortunately, these methods are pretty much rejected in Thailand. As a result, there are two extremes - no intervention at all as has been pretty much the case since the anti-government protests started in November (with one exception) to the tragedy of the Army using lethal force in 2010.

My heart goes out to this woman. The situation should have never escalated to the situation it did. Yes, people can get hurt with water canon, tear gas, and rubber bullets but these methods are much better alternatives to the use of lethal force by a government against its own people. It is a moral imperative.

• Like 1

Go for it . You may feel dragged out but keep on going after them. They have apathy but if you continue to dig at their heels someone will fall.

I know your bedraggled but keep it up Get justice for your daughter. Its the right thing to do

And what would be wrong with saying that I consider it fair that she should seek justice for her daughter ?

Ah, but you extol justice and fairness for all. Those on both sides, and those innocents caught in the middle. Those that support Thaksin proxy parties only see their own justice. Nothing fair about that.

At some point, and I hope it is not in the too distant future, Thai security forces and the courts must agree on an appropriate level of force to be used against demonstrators who cross the line from civil disobedience to unlawful conduct. Water canon, tear gas, and rubber bullets are used against demonstrators all over the world to protect and preserve the public order. Unfortunately, these methods are pretty much rejected in Thailand. As a result, there are two extremes - no intervention at all as has been pretty much the case since the anti-government protests started in November (with one exception) to the tragedy of the Army using lethal force in 2010.

My heart goes out to this woman. The situation should have never escalated to the situation it did. Yes, people can get hurt with water canon, tear gas, and rubber bullets but these methods are much better alternatives to the use of lethal force by a government against its own people. It is a moral imperative.

What level of force should be used when demonstrators cross the line from unlawful conduct to armed insurrection?

What level of force should be used when demonstrators cross the line from unlawful conduct to armed insurrection?

The most useful force would be common sense and responsibility. Precious little of that shown by the soldiers responsible for the death of this ladies daughter or the other unarmed citizens killed by the army. (and by extension the Political leaders responsible for their response to some armed clashes - snipers and live fire zones????)

I am so sorry for her losses.

But ever since she decided to join and work inside the violent Red shirt camp, she must have prepared the consequent already.

If she want to be save, perhaps she should work for the Buddhist Monk, where their security guard are more professional and protective of their camp.

Go and troll elsewhere, chottee.

• Like 1

Ah, but you extol justice and fairness for all. Those on both sides, and those innocents caught in the middle. Those that support Thaksin proxy parties only see their own justice. Nothing fair about that.

That's exactly the point, he doesn't extol justice and fairness for all - he makes no mention of the other 80 odd killed and 2000 plus injured civilians.

That's exactly the point, he doesn't extol justice and fairness for all - he makes no mention of the other 80 odd killed and 2000 plus injured civilians.

The deaths of those people was a tragedy. There is no other way to describe it.

The fact that some posters use this tragedy as a lever to win political arguments is sad to say the least. All the redshirts wrong-doings are magically forgotten, but not the demise of these 90 people.

So I would need to mention every last one killed and injured to make you happy.

Tell me how many of the other 80 odd were killed by the bullets and grenades of the reds, you don't know and neither do I.

However you and your red mates love to write about the 90 and sometimes 100 killed in a brutal crackdown without mentioning that at least a third were directly killed by the reds in their armed insurrection, mostly before the so called crackdown.

Yes I stand for justice for all without a lot of BS and vilification designed to create hate.

It would be a far better country if I could say the same for others.

A very difficult task in a country that has little respect for law and justice only thing that counts in Thailand is money, I wish her all the best success with her search for justice for her murdered daughter in Thailand where so many people are above the law.

Please someone confirm that she or her mother is not a Red Shirt.

No non-Red shirt will volunteer to work in that protest site at that time.

Similarity, please go to check out the medic/nurse volunteering is Suthep protest site (or the Monk protest site in Cheng Wattana), and tell me if any of their volunteers there are not PCAD supporter themselves?

All I am saying is, like any war correspondents, she already knew what the danger was.

Families of 2010 Crackdown Victims Urge Govt To Ratify ICC Jurisdiction
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Family members of victims of the 2010 military crackdown have renewed their calls for justice, demanding the government allow the International Criminal Court to pursue the pending court cases against those responsible for the crackdown.

"It's been four years since I lost my son, but the case is not going anywhere," said Somchai Chiamphol, whose son, Thipnet Chiamphol, was shot dead near Soi Rang Nam during clashes between the military and Redshirt protesters on 14 May 2010.

Today marks the fourth anniversary of the military crackdown on Redshirt protesters that left over 90 people dead, yet the Thai authorities have still failed to make any headway on the lawsuits against the government and military officials who authorised the crackdown.

As a result, families of the victims and human rights activists have been calling on the government to formally cede jurisdiction over the cases to the ICC.

"I want the DSI [Division of Special Investigation] to press ahead with the cases of the martyrs, and I want the government to accept the jurisdiction of the ICC, so that the world will know [about the crackdown] and help us find the wrongdoers," said Mr. Somchai, whose son died in the crackdown. "That way, the country can move forward."

In April of 2010, former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban ordered the brutal military crackdown on the tens of thousands of Redshirt protesters who were rallying on Bangkok’s streets to demand a fresh election.

The 10 April crackdown was followed by weeks of clashes between the protesters and security forces, culminating in a final military assault on the Redshirts' encampment on 19 May.

Mr. Abhisit and Mr. Suthep have been charged by the DSI for murder due to their role in 2010, but both have denied the charges, blaming the deaths on shadowy "Blackshirt" militants thought to be allied with the Redshirts.

Pan Kamkong, whose brother Phan Kamkong was shot dead by the military near Ratchapralop Airport Link Station on 15 May, said he wanted authorities to hasten the legal procedures against Mr. Abhisit and Mr. Suthep.

"Especially Mr. Suthep. He is now charged with insurrections and murder, yet he is allowed to walk free and hurt our feelings," Mr. Pan complained. "If it's possible, I want the government to finally accept the jurisdiction of the ICC, because this is a big case. A lot of people died."

Despite their alliance with the Redshirts, the current government has been reluctant to pass jurisdiction onto the ICC.

In November 2013, the ruling Pheu Thai Party also attempted to pursue a "blank amnesty bill" that would pardon all politicians accused of corruption and political violence since 2005, including the authorities responsible for the 2010 military crackdown.

"I have to admit that I am still deeply disappointed by the government's attempt to pass the 'all in the basket' amnesty bill," Mr. Pan told Khaosod. "Eventually, it led to what is happening right now. If the government had not done it, the PCAD wouldn't be here," Mr Pan said, referring to the anti-government People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State, who began their protests in response to the introduction of the amnesty bill last November.

To commemorate the anniversary of the crackdown, Redshirts invited 2,000 monks to their rally site on Aksa Avenue in western Bangkok to perform a religious ceremony this morning.

Yesterday, a group of families, under the name "Families of April-May 2010 Martyrs,” arranged their own ceremony to honor their loved ones at Plab Pla Chai Temple in Bangkok.

"It's been four years since the loss, but as a relative of the victim, I am still upholding their democratic ideal. I have not forgotten those who died," said Ubonwan Chantorn, the sister of a taxi driver who was shot dead while rallying with the Redshirts near Lumpini Park on 14 May 2010.

"I want the legal process to move forward, because so far progress has been abysmal," Ms. Ubonwan said, "Personally, I understand bureaucracy, and I see that some cases that have clear evidence are being processed, but many cases have not seen any progress at all.”

She added, "I want to use this occasion of the fourth anniversary to remind officials, to ask them whether they are ready to perform their duties, find the truth, and bring us justice."

According to Ms. Ubonwan, the "Families of April-May 2010 Martyrs" will renew their campaign for justice once the current political crisis calms down.

Phayao Akhard, the mother of "Nurse Kate" who was shot dead by the military inside a temple on the last day of the 2010 crackdown, said she plans to meet with DSI chief Tharit Pengdith herself and urge him to make genuine progress on the more than 70 still unresolved cases.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1400495177&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-19

How about they also get the ICC to investigate the one who initiated and funded the riots which made it necessary for the Govt of the day to reclaim the center of the city from the mob with armed elements who were shooting and lobbing grenades at the army and the general public.

• Like 2

Both sides are at fault for this. Thaksin does not want to see the ICC dig in Thailand's dirty laundry any more than Suthep or Abhisit does.

I don't think I can link to it here but google "The Murky Quagmire of Thai Politics & the ICC" , that sums up the situation pretty well, and why sadly there isn't any likely scenario in which these victims will see satisfaction.

I hope she gets justice as well but it the current government who are preventing investigation of the military. They were never ordered to shoot non threatening people but they did. There is part of the case that says the orders were disproportionate but those orders weren't followed anyway. It will be much better when the trial starts and we can hear a bit more evidence. There needs to be investigations into the other deaths as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<

How about they also get the ICC to investigate the one who initiated and funded the riots which made it necessary for the Govt of the day to reclaim the center of the city from the mob with armed elements who were shooting and lobbing grenades at the army and the general public.

This is exactly the reason this Government has not/will not bow to ICC jurisdiction. If it recognises the ICC then it cannot be choosy about what other things they decide to investigate and Thaksin's extrajudicial killings of 2000 people will be right up at the top of the list. What he did is about as bad as it gets and there was no excuse. Punishment would be severe long term imprisonment. I just wish somebody would grow a pair and get the ICC authority recognised.