Thai Election Commissioner angered by pro-election lecture

webfact

Election Commissioner Angered By Pro-Election Lecture
By Khaosod English

14004216551400421789l.jpg
Law lecturer and co-founder of the AFDD Worachet Pakeerut speaking at en vent on 17 May, 2014.

BANGKOK — The agency responsible for organising elections in Thailand has threatened disciplinary action against state-owned Channel 11 for broadcasting a lecture about the need to hold elections.

"I will have the Election Commission (EC) formally ask the Minister who oversees Channel 11 about the broadcast ... to determine who ordered the broadcast, and how much money has been spent in the process," said Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, Election Commissioner and director of the EC's election organisation department.

Mr. Somchai’s remarks came in response to a event, televised by Channel 11, in which a panel of academics emphasized the need to hold elections promptly.

The lecture was organised by a group of political science and law professors with the Assembly for the Defence of Democracy (AFDD) at Thammasat University's Rangsit Campus on Saturday.

In the event, law lecturer and co-founder of the AFDD Worachet Pakeerut stressed that elections must be held as soon as possible.

The EC had initially scheduled a poll for 20 July, but officials have since suggested that the date is no longer possible, citing difficulties in issuing a Royal Decree to officially approve the election date.

According to Mr. Worachet, the postponement of elections will only bring more uncertainty to Thailand’s political crisis. He urged the government to unilaterally issue a Royal Decree approving the election without the EC's assistance, pointing to Article 195 of the Thai Constitution.

These remarks amount to "presentation of information that causes rifts and confusion among the public,” said Election Commissioner Somchai.

He was particularly upset by Mr. Worachet's suggestion that the government can issue Royal Decrees without the EC's approval.

"If this broadcast was overseen by the channel directors, they will be officially reprimanded," Mr. Somchai said.

Mr. Somchai insisted that the government must meet with the EC before any election date can be officially confirmed. Last week, a meeting between the government and the EC was abruptly brought to an end when anti-government protesters stormed the venue.

Mr. Somchai also hinted that the election may not take place on 20 July after all.

“It may be impossible because there is not enough time to process issuing the Royal Decree," Mr. Somchai told reporters.

Mr. Somchai's repeated reluctance to arrange the election has led many pro-government supporters to accuse him of tacitly collaborating with anti-government protesters efforts to scupper any election under the current administration.

Academics speaking at Saturday's event also called anti-government protesters' demand for an appointed, royally-approved Prime Minister via Article 7 of the Thai Constitution misguided and undemocratic.

Prajak Kongkirati, political scientist and AFDD member, said that protesters' calls for reforms are valid, but that reforms must be implemented after an election is held.

"The discourse about 'Reform Before Election' is fooling and misleading the public," Mr. Prajak said.

Anti-government protesters have vowed to block any election that is organised before unspecified "national reforms" are carried out.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1400421655&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-19

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Election Commissioner Angered By Pro-Election Lecture"

Oopsie, Thammasat people make the Election-Collection-Committee lose face????

Serves those bunch of Thaksin hired cowards right, but in the other hand academics aren't any better...

• Like 1

I don't understand why the EC threatened a disciplinary action. What rule did Channel 11 break for broadcasting a pro-election lecture?

Isn't it obvious, Channel 11 caused those Election-Collection-phony-dudes to lose face by broadcasting it publicly,...unfortunately the EC deserves it cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 2

Serves those bunch of Thaksin hired cowards right, but in the other hand academics aren't any better...

Can anything be more ironic in Thailand?

"The agency responsible for organising elections in Thailand has threatened disciplinary action against state-owned Channel 11 for broadcasting a lecture about the need to hold elections."

I believe that I watched a Mickey Mouse cartoon with this plot as a child!

• Like 1

so who are the cowards? I'm confused.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"According to Mr. Worachet, the postponement of elections will only bring more uncertainty to Thailands political crisis. He urged the government to unilaterally issue a Royal Decree approving the election without the EC's assistance, pointing to Article 195 of the Thai Constitution."

In my opinion an election with no reform will solve nothing. The attack against each side will still continue. How can a person get a collage degree in any thing and think an election will settle any thing with out reform.

You would have to be so stupid you would make a snake look intelligent to think if you held an election and the Democrats won that the red shirts would all go home never say any thing no more rallies. Thaksin's hired politicians would stop mouthing off and attacking any one and every one who did not agree with them. They would start looking for ways to improve the life's of the Thai population.

Or if the PTP won the people would just stop asking for the government to end the corruption. They would just stand by as Thaksin was inaugurated as Dictator.

Elections with no reform is just putting reform off. It will come but the longer it is put off the bloodier it will be. Will these nitwit wannabe intellectuals be standing on the firing line? Or will they be proclaiming intellectual things that have no meaning answer nothing.

What concerns me is that they state that:

"the protesters' calls for reforms are valid, but that reforms must be implemented after an election is held ... the discourse about 'Reform Before Election' is fooling and misleading the public".

Those who call for reforms before an election have put forward reasons for this, such as the exclusion of convicted individuals, those currently out on bail or with cases pending against them, anyone found to have been involved in vote rigging or vote buying, and so on, all of which are reasonable reform demands prior to carrying out new elections.

What do these academics propose as valid reasons not to have reforms prior to the election? Nothing...!!

If they want to argue that the call for reforms is misleading the public, then they must surely have some valid reasons to support this, or are they simply relying on the same principles as my local vicar back home ... "you must simply have faith"...!!

• Like 1

Does the yellow appointed puppet Mr. Somchai - who is obviously in over his head - want to silence the press now as well?

What are his credentials except wearing the right colored shirt after the coup?

Maybe he should spent his time with the task he is entrusted - organizing elections - instead of playing politics !

If he can't do that he should resign today - he is part of the problem but not part of a solution- I know he considers himself "important" and in his delusion he considers himself smarter than the entire panel of academics - but believe me nobody will miss him once he is gone!

Maybe the thaksin puppet who ordered fair media to make hate speeches agains one side should be held responsible. Where are his ceredentials to try to BUY the media - You OBVIOUSLY as usual dont understand the processes involved and as usual are only interested in protecting your master in Dubai so PLEASEget an understanding of things before you start calling people puppets and asking them to resign. The law of the village doesnt work in the picture !!

• Like 2

I don't understand why the EC threatened a disciplinary action. What rule did Channel 11 break for broadcasting a pro-election lecture?

Isn't it obvious, Channel 11 caused those Election-Collection-phony-dudes to lose face by broadcasting it publicly,...unfortunately the EC deserves it cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

They deserve it why...because they dont let the Dubai fugitive have all his own corrupt way in elections?

Perhaps the issue is that a government owned TV station shouldn't be broadcasting a partisan TV show, or at least should not be funding it themselves. It's probably fine if the PTP paid for election broadcasting (if that is allowed), and not for the government to be running their own agenda.

They probably are also upset because the point of the show was to propagandize the public into believing that the EC aren't doing their job.

• Like 1

In the current heated political atmosphere, the only impact of one side asking to circumvent the rules defined in the constitution will be negative.

PTP supporters will think that elections can be held without EC involvement (they can't)

PDRC supporters will believe that yet another set of rules is about to be broken.

Whilst I believe in free speech, I also believe in prudent speech.

Perhaps the issue is that a government owned TV station shouldn't be broadcasting a partisan TV show, or at least should not be funding it themselves. It's probably fine if the PTP paid for election broadcasting (if that is allowed), and not for the government to be running their own agenda.

They probably are also upset because the point of the show was to propagandize the public into believing that the EC aren't doing their job.

But the EC isn't doing its job. So what's wrong with pointing this out?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by srsv1238