flying to Savannakhet

when I last looked about a year ago, Lao Air but the price back then was near 9,000 baht.. BKK return [my nearest airport]

Otherwise much cheaper is Nok Air fly/ride service

or AirAsia Fly/ride only 2.700 baht return from BKK and even cheaper if you book many weeks in advance..

http://booking.airasia.com/Select.aspx.... cost all of 50 or 60 baht Tuk Tuk ride from border to Savannakhet.

Those fly/drives are cheaper than a direct flight into Laos but a direct flight cuts out a lot of the headache, waiting around in the heat and the need to deal with tuktuks and things. Like many things it comes down to price versus convenience.

Those fly/drives are cheaper than a direct flight into Laos but a direct flight cuts out a lot of the headache, waiting around in the heat and the need to deal with tuktuks and things. Like many things it comes down to price versus convenience.

I've been looking at this option myself, but Lao Airlines...(shudder, shudder). Planes seem to be dropping from the sky with an alarming frequency in that country.

• Like 1

Simple which I have done a few times, from Bus Station in Mukdahan the International Bus runs about every hour and cost 45 baht... the only waiting is the Bus while you get your Laos Visa..

Problem is if in Savannakhet you are going to the Thai Consulate, it cost 50 - 60 baht from Bus Station, so may as well just get off the Airport Bus at the border and take a Tuk Tuk direct to the Thai Consulate as same price..

If you fly direct you still have to get from the Airport guess by Tuk Tuk..

• 3 weeks later...

How long does it take to get from the Thai consulate to the airport in Nakhon Pannom?

I'm thinking of getting a bus up over night and a flight home the following day but Air Asia fly out at 4:45 p.m. is that long enough to collect visa and make it to the airport?

Edited by bkkgooner

How long does it take to get from the Thai consulate to the airport in Nakhon Pannom?

I'm thinking of getting a bus up over night and a flight home the following day but Air Asia fly out at 4:45 p.m. is that long enough to collect visa and make it to the airport?

You would not have enough time to make it to the air port in Nakhon Phanom after you pick up your passport at 2 pm.

Mukdahan to Nakhon Phanom 09:15 arrive 10:45 Coach DD110 Flight Nakhon Phanom to Don Mueang 11:45 arrive 12:55 Flight DD9515

by Nok Air different times but at least shows you how long it takes.. Yep I did this staying 2 nights

so you would need to add more time: Thai Consulate > border > Immigration both sides + over the bridge + get to Mukdahan to get the bus.

No idea what time the Air Asia Bus leaves, but guess you would miss it.

Edited by ignis

Would add it is easy to just get the night VIP bus in both directions.. 800 baht each way with VIP meal as rest stop.

but look out do not get the day bus as very difficult to get over the border to Bus station early, unless you stay the 2nd night in Mukdahan ..

Mukdahan to Nakhon Phanom 09:15 arrive 10:45 Coach DD110 Flight Nakhon Phanom to Don Mueang 11:45 arrive 12:55 Flight DD9515

by Nok Air different times but at least shows you how long it takes.. Yep I did this staying 2 nights

so you would need to add more time: Thai Consulate > border > Immigration both sides + over the bridge + get to Mukdahan to get the bus.

Air asia June:

14:00 departing Mukdahan (transfer bus)

15:30 arriving Nakhon Phanom

16:45 departing Nakhon Phanom

17:50 arriving Don Mueang

ZVK = Savannakhet

BKK - ZVK: 12:40, arrives 14:10h

Equipment:ATR 72
ZVK - BKK: 10:30h, arrives 12:00h
Definitely at least one overnight.
Seems to be a daily flight.
Edited by KhunBENQ

Air asia June:

Ah christ that is so frustrating I really don't fancy getting the bus back as it will mean 3 nights away from the family

Air asia June:

Ah christ that is so frustrating I really don't fancy getting the bus back as it will mean 3 nights away from the family

Correct.

Thats why I am going together with my wife.