Where to buy ? 16 x 6 rims 8 lug pattern like a USA Pick up truck uses

Hi

I need help finding some wheels for a trailer , and I do not see the 8 lug bolt pattern being used in Thailand,

but maybe I missed what they were fitted to in Thailand , or nearby Burma, Malaysia etc

stock take offs would be great, or aluminum rims

16 x 6 , 8 lug pattern

back spacing is 3 1/2 inches

if you have them or know what pick up or van they would have come on please let me know

I hate to spend the money to bring them from the USA if they are available in Thailand

We need at least 4 now but an extra spare or 2 will also be needed

thanks for your help

post-8816-0-51678900-1400527872_thumb.jp

8 lug is for the heavier 3/4 ton pickups and I don't know where you'd find them.

My Ford F150 4 door 4x4 has 6 lug rims as do the Chevy and Dodge versions of the 1/2 ton trucks.

THESE are the F150 1/2 ton pickups.

THESE are the F250 3/4 tons, 8 lugs. Dodge and Chevy, same.

Edited by NeverSure

I had a brain fade. Everything I said above is true, but in addition the 1 ton trucks take the same 8 lug wheel. So you have the 350/3500 series trucks to hunt too.

So 150/1500 (depending only on brand of truck) is 6 lug 1/2 ton, 250/2500 is 8 lug 3/4 ton, and 350/3500 is 8 lug 1 ton.

Edited by NeverSure

8 lugnut would probably be considered farm trailer territory. I am wanting to build a trailer for road and farm use but farm wheel tyres are low speed rated.

• "Specially designed to carry higher loads at higher speads upto 65 km/h

post-63954-0-16321100-1400592590_thumb.j

If you get into a brands other than the "big 3" American brands, the spacing between the lugs might be different. So you need to know that your axle is the same as American as are the wheels. Just seeing 8 lugs is not enough.

All of those wheels are made to take high speed tires, and the rigs are run on the freeways, and carrying loads.

Do you have your axle yet? Unless your loads will be very heavy, remember that American "so called" 1/2 ton trucks use 6 lugs and are very strong. The term 1/2 ton came into the vernacular eons ago and stuck, but my 1/2 ton Ford is rated at 7,000 pounds gross which gives it a carrying capacity of 1 ton. That's conservative due to liability fears of the manufacturers. It will carry 1.5 tons because I've had a cubic yard of wet crushed rock in it.

These are big strong trucks with a towing capacity of 9,000 pounds. LINK

BJ Motor Parts do a fully floating rear axle conversion for these trucks. Check them out.

Google 'Runstop Thailand' for contact details

I should have added that they also supply the heavy duty steel rims with this conversion which is used on shrimp trucks, pineapple truck and shrub delivery trucks. They carry up to 3 tons on those little trucks.

Most I have noticed are still 6 stud, but they will know if 8 stud are available.

The stud spacing mentioned by another poster is referred to as PCD. (Pitch Circle Diameter)

If you get into a brands other than the "big 3" American brands, the spacing between the lugs might be different. So you need to know that your axle is the same as American as are the wheels. Just seeing 8 lugs is not enough.

Do you have your axle yet? ..........

the bolt pattern spacing is 6.5 inches ,

we do have the axles but never thought about the wheel bolt pattern until they arrived and then it was an " ohh SHT" moment ,

So hoping there is something closer than from America !

When I was looking into build a trailer, seems local trailer builders use Toyota hubs, which of course are local. It may be easier to convert your axles to local hubs and use local wheels.

If the axles you sources come from a non Thai vehicle ask the vendor where the wheels are that go with the axles.

You could ask these guys? They had a step-side and an old Chevy panel van. Looked like they were building trailers?

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=13.809191,100.467814&spn=0.007762,0.013078&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=13.809149,100.467841&panoid=1n4ET7xkHbzjDlWRGwIwwA&cbp=12,68.17,,0,16.83

Sorry about the long link but for some reason now Google maps won't allow the copying of the link info. It is in Bang kruay on the 3014. I walked past it about 10 days ago.

Edited by VocalNeal

Most Jap pickups us 5 or 6 stud 140mm PCD. Some larger Jap trucks use 8 stud wheels but these are bigger OD and PCD than the US Pickup wheels.

Japanese hubs and wheels would be easier in LOS but if that is not a goer, http://tokaisolidtire.com/wheels-rims/# make custom wheels for industrial applications. They wont be cheap and are really for high load forklifts etc. May not be suitable if the OP's trailer is for on-highway work.

The US 8 stud 6.5 inch PCD wheels are similar but not identical. Some details of LT wheels from Accuride catalogue below.

post-149670-0-70959100-1400643048_thumb.

thanks for the http://tokaisolidtire.com/wheels-rims/# link

any other companies that make rims ?

if they make a 16 x 6 rim I am sure they can drill it the proper 8 bolt pattern as long as there is enough material to machine

maybe even an alloy rim the correct size,

they are $45 US each to buy them in Texas , but shipping is high if airmail and a long time if by sea ,

yeah if we do another one we will use local made hubs and rims ,

but we are stuck with what we started here so need to get it done ,

again thanks for your ideas.....

• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few old US cars/trucks and vans around but in or near small local garages. I doubt you will find a website. You could try the classic/vintage club sites but they would probably gasp if you wanted to put classic original wheel on a trailer!

Without wishing to rub salt into the wound. The phrase "think global, buy local" comes to mind.

thanks for the http://tokaisolidtire.com/wheels-rims/# link

any other companies that make rims ?

if they make a 16 x 6 rim I am sure they can drill it the proper 8 bolt pattern as long as there is enough material to machine

maybe even an alloy rim the correct size,

they are $45 US each to buy them in Texas , but shipping is high if airmail and a long time if by sea ,

yeah if we do another one we will use local made hubs and rims ,

but we are stuck with what we started here so need to get it done ,

again thanks for your ideas.....

What was the result after you called Runstop?

BJ Motor Parts do a fully floating rear axle conversion for these trucks. Check them out.

I should have added that they also supply the heavy duty steel rims with this conversion which is used on shrimp trucks, pineapple truck and shrub delivery trucks. They carry up to 3 tons on those little trucks.

Most I have noticed are still 6 stud, but they will know if 8 stud are available.

The stud spacing mentioned by another poster is referred to as PCD. (Pitch Circle Diameter)

I am thinking the 6 stud will be enough for what I want. The 6 stud HD rims and tyres are pretty tough from what I have seen.

I am thinking the 6 stud will be enough for what I want. The 6 stud HD rims and tyres are pretty tough from what I have seen.

I think your 'thinking' is correct.biggrin.png

I'm starting to think that having found the "foreign" rims the next question will be where can I get tires?

Yep, you're right, seems like most times people ask for advice on this forum they don't heed it.

Probably shouldn't ask in the first place.

Some of us are actually very heavily involved in the Motor Trade in Thailand. smile.png

Hi

sorry been working and not on here....

the axles, hubs and trailer bits have already been bought and built , its just sitting waiting for some rims.....

yeah the next one will be from local axles , hubs and rims , but too late for this one , a mistake was made not to buy the rimes day one, we know that

no answer from runstop.......

and yes getting 16.5 tires may be a problem , its just a stop gap solution for now....

I hope that gets you the info you want ,