Thailand: What the martial law entails

webfact

What the martial law entails
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Military commanders in troubled areas have the authority to enforce martial law, if it looks like war or riots may break out.

Martial law gives military officers the power to:

- Take action against war or riots;

- Use arms to suppress unrest;

- Search, confiscate or occupy any premises or vehicles;

- Censor information;

- Block, search and control postal services;

- Activate the military court to judge on crimes within the area under martial law;

- Mobilise civilians to help the military;

- Procure resources such as vehicles or logistical materials to support military operations;

- Prohibit public gatherings, publications, broadcasting, transport,

communication, travel, the movement of people or any action that the Defence Ministry deems necessary;

- Enforce curfews;

- Destroy, remove or adjust any premise or location for the purpose of military operations;

- Arrest and detain suspects for a maximum of seven days.

- People are not entitled to any compensation for damage incurred during such military operations;

- Martial law can only be ended with a Royal Decree.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-20

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP details what martial law entails very well.

I would like to see more TV posts discussing the legal contortions involved declaring this particular state of martial law.

How did they do it, and on who's authority, legally?

What is the legal framework used to get a state of martial law declared?

Obviously, the situation in Thailand is quite unique. Most developed countries would have the government inform the military that martial law has been declared and instruct them to carry out their duties as required by law. What's the deal here?

Isn't this really a coup? (If it walks like a duck?)

• Like 1

This martial law is very convenient for Suthep, It means he will stop protesting and will not report himself later on this month at police, not that he had any intention doing so from the start.

The saga continues.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

. . . destroy, remove or adjust any premise or location for the purpose of military operations . . . hope my house isn't in their line of fire . . .

The line of fire is a moving discretionary target.

Congratulation on both Anti and Pro-government, you and any other innocent bystander have officially lost your rights for a peaceful democratic life for the next centuries.

Both sides including their greedy leaders got what they asked for, to the dismay if us innocent bystanders.

Do we need any permission to go to the toilet or for grocery shopping?

There'll be a curfew, and we get attacked because we didn't know?

• Like 1

Seems to me there is more information than has been revealed about the seizure of the white Mazda full of M16's up North. Can it be coincidence that Martial Law have been declared just a day later or is it to nip in the bud a major armed uprising ? Not scaremongering; just putting two and two together.

Please provide link that says white Mazda was "full of M16's". I'm not saying you are wrong, but the reports I read didn't say anything about the car being "full of" M16's.

If you can't provide a link, then my other thought is that you are merely "embellishing" the story for your own agenda.

• Like 1

Very strange timing for the army to enforce martial law.

The talks are deadlocked but they have been for months now so I wonder why now?

Maybe suteps threat for his last final push to get a million on the streets which was just another hollow threat however the reds reaction of heading to bangkok might have swayed them to act but why now?

Quite clearly the bias is once again been shown by the army shutting the red tv channel while the yellow channels are free to operate .

The reaction from the reds is going to be interesting as sutep has been allowed free reign in bangkok for 6 months now and all his allies or what he thought were allies in the end did not back so it upped the ante once again.

I don't know why the military moved now as I don't see what's going to achieve in the long run instead of making a bad situation worse.

The people of Thailand once again see demroracy hijacked.!

..................by the dictator in Dubai whos paying to come back?? is that the hijacking of democracy youre talking about?? or do you refer to the daily lethal attacks on men women and children protesting that has left 28 dead. not that you would ever comment on that as a decent human being!! Your admissionof not understanding the situation is at least a step forward however, but you have far more to understand before you can make a valid contribution to the forum!!

OTT post.

The post is not a matter of disagreement, it is judgmental.

Wrong and wrong.

• Like 1

Very strange timing for the army to enforce martial law.

The talks are deadlocked but they have been for months now so I wonder why now?

Maybe suteps threat for his last final push to get a million on the streets which was just another hollow threat however the reds reaction of heading to bangkok might have swayed them to act but why now?

Quite clearly the bias is once again been shown by the army shutting the red tv channel while the yellow channels are free to operate .

The reaction from the reds is going to be interesting as sutep has been allowed free reign in bangkok for 6 months now and all his allies or what he thought were allies in the end did not back so it upped the ante once again.

I don't know why the military moved now as I don't see what's going to achieve in the long run instead of making a bad situation worse.

The people of Thailand once again see demroracy hijacked.!

Red TV is still running, so there is your first red supporter lie.

I also would not feel too confident about being critical of the army during a state of martial law.

A lot of farangs actually have connections with army officials, through their Thai families (I am one) and they may well take an exception to such comments.

• Like 2

Best thing to do in the circumstances.

The grown ups can t seem to play 'nice' calling reds and yellows to add to the numbers. Guns found on the red side(of course) to be delivered by someone linked to the government (of course) the recent shooting and grenade hurled at Suthep s side. It all adds up. The militairy finally steps up the plate. The Thai people have a sigh of relief. No showdown. Order. Let s see how it evolves.

• Like 1

hmmm...first martial law, then probably a new PM appointed by the Senate...this is all playing out nicely and more or less as expected.

In fact, it means no such thing. The govt remains in office even in the context of martial law. This simply removes from the streets the groups in conflict.

First of all, there is no legitimate Government, at the moment. Secondly, declaring martial law, pulled the last few teeth (CAPO and the ability of the Reds to mobilize) from Thaksin and his cronies. The logical next step, is for the Senate to appoint a Prime Minister (who of course will not be a paid puppet of the man in Dubai)

Looks like you have your choice of either the Upper House (Senate) or the military making the decisions, but it will definitely not be the past Government (Thaksin) wai2.gif

• Like 1