Has Chiang Mai been affected by the imposition of martial law?

Loaded

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the airport I saw still loads of Chinese arriving and going shopping.

Buying things.

It may take a while. If/when the Chinese govt says "Don't go," it'll be all over.

Seeing as they come from a country with out democracy do you think they are bothered if Thailand has it or not? Do you not travel to china, Loas, Myanmar, or Vietnam because of the system of governance?

I suggest that the fear of violence is what stops people from traveling. Not the political system in a country.

I suggest China has absolute control over its citizens' ability to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by mesquite

re

Beautiful day this morning.

hes right :) ..... pic of doi suthep 10 minits ago !

i was talking to a bar owner last night and she said the army will be on the streets for about six months or maybe a year

i said no ! ... they will be there two weeks

just long enough to clear out the crud from limpini park ,the red shirt enclave nortb of bangkok and all other sites where sutep has set up camps and they will go back to base

but any reds or yellows trying to shut down bangkok again will be stopped from doing so very quickly :(

i would like to see a compromise between the reds and yellows to stop this going round in circles and billions of baht being spent on election after election but i doubt that will happen unless someone very high up

says enough is enough ... stop ####### up the country !

dave2

post-42592-0-22211000-1400729893_thumb.j

re

Beautiful day this morning.

hes right smile.png ..... pic of doi suthep 10 minits ago !

i was talking to a bar owner last night and she said the army will be on the streets for about six months or maybe a year

i said no ! ... they will be there two weeks

just long enough to clear out the crud from limpini park ,the red shirt enclave nortb of bangkok and all other sites where sutep has set up camps and they will go back to base

but any reds or yellows trying to shut down bangkok again will be stopped from doing so very quickly sad.png

i would like to see a compromise between the reds and yellows to stop this going round in circles and billions of baht being spent on election after election but i doubt that will happen unless someone very high up

says enough is enough ... stop ####### up the country !

dave2

It's been going on for years; it won't stop anytime soon.

Been going on for years yes ^ and life goes on, investment, tourism, commerce etc

Nothing to worry about.

Keep calm and carry on smile.png

International bookings for inbound Thailand vacations are down 17% year-on-year (YOY) for the November 1, 2013 to March 18, 2014 period, and 21% since January 1st (YOY), says Olivier Jager, CEO of travel data intelligence firm ForwardKeys.

Read CNN news headlines on homepage.

Not entirely sure how the foreign press is presenting this. I got a call from my boy in Canada last night who was a little concerned about it. He had been here in February and I told him it is even safer now than when he had been here then. He had spent a week in Pattaya (never again he said) and three weeks here in Chiang Mai.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Almost all the ones I know are pro red.

Very much the same here. Come to think of it I do not personally know any Thai in CM that openly espouses Yellow at all.

I regularly shop at the markets in San Pakoy which still has posters/stickers for Thaksin and Yingluck displayed, never seen an opposing view there at all. Perhaps its a stronghold but either way seems to reflect views of most I know.

Quite a few Thai friends have links to Thaksin and Yingluck on Facebook as well as "Respect My Vote" links. The only time you see Suthep is as a nasty or ranting comical figure.

So far the effect is a few less TV stations only as far as I can see. I think they could have gone further with 3 and 7 soap operas ceasing as well.

Careful, your color allegiance is showing.

There's also many CM folks who are not red but in the past made little to zero noise about their color choice, often because of fear / the thuggery etc., of the CM 51 group etc, and there are more and more CM folks quietly disclosing they have abandoned red - my next door neighbors (both Thai doctors of medicine) just one example, now angry with themselves for being fooled by the 'savior' rhetoric.

A relative called me via Skype to ask about what the latest political developments meant, and if I was "at risk" in any way.

I had to tell them that trying to explain politics in Thailand is useless; it's like explaining puns to kleptomaniacs: everything you might say would be taken, literally.

~o:37;

• Like 2

Buying things.

It may take a while. If/when the Chinese govt says "Don't go," it'll be all over.

Seeing as they come from a country with out democracy do you think they are bothered if Thailand has it or not? Do you not travel to china, Loas, Myanmar, or Vietnam because of the system of governance?

Countries do not put out no-travel warnings because of the style of governments the other maintains, but because of the danger to their citizens. Martial Law signifies just that - most countries will be warning against travel here.

So they say airports operating normally? Flight arriving or departing after 10pm curfew?? Has this been thought through or are they winging it if you'll forgive the pun? Anyone here last curfew- enforced??

So they say airports operating normally? Flight arriving or departing after 10pm curfew?? Has this been thought through or are they winging it if you'll forgive the pun? Anyone here last curfew- enforced??

It was enforced during the emergency decree in 2010, and it was dullest time ever in Chiang Mai. I don't know how they managed late flights, I assume people going to and from the airport were allowed to do so.

Update: country-wide curfew in effect 22:00-5:00.

Is this real? Do you have a link? That would really help kill tourism - it may be 7% of GDP, but its a bigger lump of CM GDP!

It is real. Monitor the coup thread in News for updates.

Buying things.

Countries do not put out no-travel warnings because of the style of governments the other maintains, but because of the danger to their citizens. Martial Law signifies just that - most countries will be warning against travel here.

True

The funny part of it is that the way it is going here in Thailand now you are safer than in many big cities in America. LOL

• Like 2

Update: country-wide curfew in effect 22:00-5:00.

Is this real? Do you have a link? That would really help kill tourism - it may be 7% of GDP, but its a bigger lump of CM GDP!

Well if it is not true you might want to call the Tops markets they were announcing it and saying that they were going to shut down at 8:00 PM.

I wonder if this is just a temporary thing until all the protestors return home? Just a thought.

I wonder about the open 24 hour business. Are they going to close up?

Edited by northernjohn

Suppose they allow the flights to land at 11:00 at night they will have to wait until a cab can get there after 5:00 in the morning.

I remember seeing some very cute lady soldiers patrolling CM after the last coup, full combat gear, but with tight form fitting trousers, full make-up and hair in those little net things with a bow in the back... a new fettish was born that day.

Hahahaha!!! Brilliant!! Bring on the coup!!! So funny mate! Excellent!