Soldiers deployed in Thai capital Bangkok under martial law

webfact

And the coup has begun. Please please, do not cut off the internet.

This is not a coup, but gives the Army complete control for the short term.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Readying Thailand for the long term!!!

I feel that you are correct sir, and I think I know what you mean by "readying Thailand for the long term"! I just hope that the Thai military allows the Thai people to decide what path Thailand takes "for the long term" wai2.gif

Economically sir, populist policies have bought votes, but not allowed Thais economic long term choices.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought a VPN, cheap but a good one according to the info and reviews, STRONGVPN which routes my IP to another country, typically the United States.

But I think I still need an available and open browser to use it.

Hope I don't need to find out.

First month's free anyway with the option to cancel.

First thing they do is look for people using VPN. Anybody trying to hide their internet identity are clearly up to no good ....

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How true do not use they will find you.

The only thing the Boyz in Beijing and their hyperactive censors / laundry officers were able to do while I was using a Virtual Private Network In the PRChina was to cancel my PRChina IP address. They were not able to stop my use of a VPN in any other way. So I simply got a new IP address without any hassle or repercussions..

I present some of my experience of having to use VPN in the CCP-PRC as a necessity in the face of the worst government censorship in the world, and censorship of the internet and of all information by the CCP in the PRC is positively the most severe, pervasive, intrusive, strict and unrelenting form of censorship ever practiced by any government over its people and society. Light years worse than any government in history.

I anyway very much doubt the military ruling council will close the country to the internet. The military rulers of the 2006-7 coup and ruling council did not close it and this isn't quite a coup, so I think Prayuth & Co will let that be the case in this instance..

People here can make their own choices after finding all the information about using a VPN here, but only if each individual person makes an initial decision to pursue it. Or not to pursue it.

TiT so as with so much here it's up to you.

Don't know about soldiers, but the police were out in force at the toll gate coming from Bangna toward Chonburi collecting Bht 1,000 coffee money from cars that they claimed had been speeding up to the toll get and were caught on camera.

I don't speak Thai but the cop that stopped me after paying the toll kept pointing to a license plate number on his list that was not mine and asking for Bht 1,000 or he would write a ticket. I said, go ahead, write a ticket but he then asked for my license, would not write a ticket and made me wait there until I paid him.

I bought a VPN, cheap but a good one according to the info and reviews, STRONGVPN which routes my IP to another country, typically the United States.

First thing they do is look for people using VPN. Anybody trying to hide their internet identity are clearly up to no good ....

Nah...it shouldn't be a problem. I highly recommend "Hide My Ass." It's a great VPN, but it's a little pricey. I use it when I'm working in the Middle East and the Gulf. They use high powered monitoring in that part of the world but HMA tunnels through it like it wasn't even there!

Edited by Echo Tango
  • Like 1

Well the police haven't or won't get a handle on the safety of their citizens, then I guess it is time for the military to take over their security..

Cheap shot, glib.

Not really.

Now that the politicians and the police have shown they are no longer capable of maintaining law and order it was inevitable than eventually the military would have to do the job for them before the country disappears down the toilet completely.. It's not ideal but until the people who are charged to run the country can prove they can do it then there is no alternative.

Hopefully this action will kick a few <deleted> into gear and quickly.

The feudal and feudalist ideology is that the people and their politicians are immoral, corrupt, bad people, and I've heard this ideology in its pervasive forms and in its various components ad nauseam since the middle of last year, and many times prior to then besides.

It's the shamelessly reactionary and anti-democracy line and belief system of the elites, the Bangkok ammart, Suthep, the PDRC, the DP, Abhisit, the military, the bureaucracy, academia and a shocking number of fahlang born, raised, acculturated and educated in Western society, culture, civilization.

Shockingly so.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Does this mean Chalerm and CAPO are no longer in control?

Yes, thought they were never in real control other than sound bytes in the media.

Not only no longer in control they don't exist any more.

However one of their main men Surapong by name still seems to think he still has a position and says he will wait till he sees his demise in the royal gazette before he believes.

See the following link kindly provided by a red supporter while trying to prove something else : http://www.nationmul...w-30233791.html

Edited by Robby nz
  • Like 1

I suspect the martial law has been imposed in reaction to Suthep upping the stakes. I guess hunting down government ministers is considered a step too far. I expect the General to come out in the next week and say that elections will take place under martial law which will prevent them being disrupted by the PDRC. Affectively, martial law is doing the job the police were prevented from doing by the General.

Yes, I agree and I too think the ruling military council will facilitate a new general election. Gen Prayuth, the military chiefs and their general staff, right on down to the rank and file grunts were permitted to vote freely and reasonably confidentially in the Feb 2nd election that was demolished by Suthep and his PDRC and its thugs.

Gen Prayuth and the military high command made a highly visible show of themselves voting and of all of the military voting in the Feb 2nd election, which is more than the DP or Abhisit bothered to do. I think Prayuth and the military chiefs under him will go ahead to promote a new election.

Gen Prayuth and his senior commanders know the Army has to regain the confidence and trust of the people, the general population of the country, and, very significantly, to regain credibility among the large number of Thais in the broad swathe north of Bangkok. After the 1992 post coup Army massacres of Thais in the streets, the 2006 coup against democracy, and the 2010 ravaging of a particular political grouping of Thai society, the armed forces and their commanders know they must walk the straight and narrow, and they pretty much have been approximating that, at least more or less so.

Now comes the real test. Gen Prayuth and the senior commanders across the armed forces were very junior officers at the time of the Army's 1992 slaughtering of Thais in the streets of Bangkok. The general and his generation of officers were rising commanders at the time of the 2006 coup, and were already senior commanders during the 2010 abomination against the Thai people.

The armed forces and their commanders know they have a lot of repenting to do before the ordinary people of Thailand, the people to the north, south, northeast and to the west. The military ruling council and its armed forces are being watched closely from all points of the compass. How the people think of the armed forces and its commanders is a central part of the future of the country, if it indeed is to have a future.

Eradicating the Shin's is the key to returning Thailand back towards stability. This could turn out to be one of the pivotal moments in Thailand's history and if the reds try to stop it they must be put down in order to deter them form letting democracy return to the LOS!!!

Chalerm must be pulling his hair out as all of these sedition charges against Suthep (Robin Hood) and his merry men, I'm assuming, will all be rescinded!!!

Another official member of Suthep's Purge Patrol.

Well the police haven't or won't get a handle on the safety of their citizens, then I guess it is time for the military to take over their security..

Cheap shot, glib.

Cheap in your eyes - but true.

Exactly how many people have been arrested,charged with attacks and murders of anti-Thaksin protesters or innocents? The increasingly bizarre and threatening rhetoric being spouted by CAPO seems strangely one sided too. Like warning that those against Thaksin were in danger of attack but those protesting in support would be protected. CAPO, DSI. RTP - all should be impartial and enforce the law fairly. Sadly, everyone knows they do as they are told by the PTP boss.

Law and order in Thailand is relative, always has been relative.

Which means if your brother in law isn't a judge, you're screwed.

That's an indiscriminate and presumptuous condemnation that is imprudent and wrong.

When I was in the CCP-PRC my uni computer major students put in my pc desktop the Google Unblock and Uncensor system "Ultrareach" that the 35,000 CCP censors working full time can't even identify, much take action against. It goes right through the Great Firewall of China while being undetectable. Same for VPN. The technologies are beyond them. I doubt Thai technology is any better than the miserable state of the CCP's technologies.

I was being sarcastic!

I wuz being rhetorical.

Hyperbolic even. laugh.png

I suspect the martial law has been imposed in reaction to Suthep upping the stakes. I guess hunting down government ministers is considered a step too far. I expect the General to come out in the next week and say that elections will take place under martial law which will prevent them being disrupted by the PDRC. Affectively, martial law is doing the job the police were prevented from doing by the General.

Yes, I agree and I too think the ruling military council will facilitate a new general election. Gen Prayuth, the military chiefs and their general staff, right on down to the rank and file grunts were permitted to vote freely and reasonably confidentially in the Feb 2nd election that was demolished by Suthep and his PDRC and its thugs.

Gen Prayuth and the military high command made a highly visible show of themselves voting and of all of the military voting in the Feb 2nd election, which is more than the DP or Abhisit bothered to do. I think Prayuth and the military chiefs under him will go ahead to promote a new election.

Gen Prayuth and his senior commanders know the Army has to regain the confidence and trust of the people, the general population of the country, and, very significantly, to regain credibility among the large number of Thais in the broad swathe north of Bangkok. After the 1992 post coup Army massacres of Thais in the streets, the 2006 coup against democracy, and the 2010 ravaging of a particular political grouping of Thai society, the armed forces and their commanders know they must walk the straight and narrow, and they pretty much have been approximating that, at least more or less so.

Now comes the real test. Gen Prayuth and the senior commanders across the armed forces were very junior officers at the time of the Army's 1992 slaughtering of Thais in the streets of Bangkok. The general and his generation of officers were rising commanders at the time of the 2006 coup, and were already senior commanders during the 2010 abomination against the Thai people.

The armed forces and their commanders know they have a lot of repenting to do before the ordinary people of Thailand, the people to the north, south, northeast and to the west. The military ruling council and its armed forces are being watched closely from all points of the compass. How the people think of the armed forces and its commanders is a central part of the future of the country, if it indeed is to have a future.

Eradicating the Shin's is the key to returning Thailand back towards stability. This could turn out to be one of the pivotal moments in Thailand's history and if the reds try to stop it they must be put down in order to deter them form letting democracy return to the LOS!!!

Chalerm must be pulling his hair out as all of these sedition charges against Suthep (Robin Hood) and his merry men, I'm assuming, will all be rescinded!!!

My wife and her Thai friends are saying Martial Law was imposed as a result of the weapons find in Korat yesterday. A PTP minister's adviser found with assault rifles among a cache of weapons in his car. Then senior police and ptp politicians tried to avoid the police/army from doing anything about. This apparent open arming of pro Thaksin supporters with serious weapons by police and government officials was the last straw, and considered to serious a threat to ignore.

"My wife and her Thai friends are saying Martial Law was imposed as a result of...."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif

Martial law was imposed because Suthep and his fascist PDRC and thugs were in process of assaulting Cabinet ministers and radically intensifying their street insurrection and anarchy against the legitimate government of Thailand. And because of the expected and appropriate reaction of the UDD and reds in general, not to mention the increased level of great alarm among the population in general at all recent accelerations of developments.

• Like 1

Or it could be , because a Senior MP was caught with assult weapons in his car, givem evidence that the goverment was behind the serious killing spree

these are all opinions

But I ma sure one member will ask the army for an answer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's spot on the money. no excuse now not to have an election. with the army in charge of security, we will see if they are on the side of democracy or of the Ruling Elite. i hope the former, but suspect the latter.

Good so your in favour of the army marching into into Issan and arresting every red shirt that starts trouble when a democrat want to state his parties policy to the Issan people

So we can have fair elections

Or did you not think that far ahead ????

That's spot on the money. no excuse now not to have an election. with the army in charge of security, we will see if they are on the side of democracy or of the Ruling Elite. i hope the former, but suspect the latter.

Good so your in favour of the army marching into into Issan and arresting every red shirt that starts trouble when a democrat want to state his parties policy to the Issan people

My wife and her Thai friends are saying Martial Law was imposed as a result of the weapons find in Korat yesterday. A PTP minister's adviser found with assault rifles among a cache of weapons in his car. Then senior police and ptp politicians tried to avoid the police/army from doing anything about. This apparent open arming of pro Thaksin supporters with serious weapons by police and government officials was the last straw, and considered to serious a threat to ignore.

MMMMMMHHHHH

You hijack my saying, but guess it it being used hopefully for the correct reason

But intereseting that the same idea is now doing the rounds of many North east villages that have been siting on the fence

that it is the PTP that are throwing fuel on the red shirt fire

well its about time no ? if they can bring back some kind of peace in this totaly crazy situation ....... will be my third coup actually ....

......and the most justified if it turns into a coup. I want to know what took them so long to do the democratic thing and turf out this illegitimate rabble!!!

"do the democratic thing" clap2.gif

Kim Jong-Un would be proud of this statement

Your government acting against the law of the land is not very democratic is it ??? well done you pro gov propaganda posters it has been a laugh a minute.

Try coming clean and not live in your democratic fantasy world.

Sichonsteve and ginjag how can an elected government be illegitimate? How many times do they have to win an election before you will accept their right to govern? I suggest you either stay out of the sun or buy a decent hat. wai.gif

• Like 1

More supposition.

MMMMMMHHHHH

You hijack my saying, but guess it it being used hopefully for the correct reason

But intereseting that the same idea is now doing the rounds of many North east villages that have been siting on the fence

That too will pass as the country and Bangkok in particular begin to settle down, as they already have, much to the deflation of the insurrection and its insurrectionists.

Will we ever truly know the "real reasons" for this? I doubt it. We can all speculate till we're blue in the face about whether it was the threatened antics of the PDRC to hunt down MP's and force them to resign, or a car of automatic weapons headed for BKK (assumed), and half a dozen other reasons/excuses. The point is, it's done, and both sides of the waring factions (UDD/PDRC) have been put on "indefinite hold" by the military, and I see that as a good thing that will work to avoid potential violence and bloodshed.

One poster said this will nullify the arrest warrants for the PDRC members wanted for insurrection. Wrong. That is a court action, perfectly legal, and is still standing.

Some have cheerfully stated that there is no government. Wrong. The General clearly stated the government will continue their role.

My feeling on this is that the military have "learned their lesson" in regards to coups and past actions, and seriously want to change that image. General P is due to retire soon, and wants his name to go down in the history books in a positive way. With this in mind, I feel he will get all concerned parties together and, if need be, knock a few heads to get them to work things out peacefully and democratically, and then hold elections. Bottom line: He's the only one with the power and influence to do it.

Will he go along with a "neutrally appointed" PM? Not so sure about that one. He could, but remember, he made a big deal out of showing himself, as well as his troops voting, and he has constantly insisted that things must be resolved democratically, so I tend to think he might be against the "appointed" PM, unless it is one who is approved and accepted by all, and that will be the sticking point.

What I find amusing is that even my red shirt, pro-PTP wife, upon hearing the news at 8:00 this morning, proclaimed: "Good! Now they can lock up all the idiots on both sides and get the country straightened out."

Personally, I think it's a good thing, as long as it is just Martial Law, as stated, and not a full blown coup, as that would lead to major problems that no one in their right mind really wants to see. If Gen P can stick to his statements of doing things democratically, and get the others in line as well, then this could be a very good thing. If he doesn't, it could blow up in his face.

• Like 1

Martial law was imposed because Suthep and his fascist PDRC and thugs were in process of assaulting Cabinet ministers and radically intensifying their street insurrection and anarchy against the legitimate government of Thailand. And because of the expected and appropriate reaction of the UDD and reds in general, not to mention the increased level of great alarm among the population in general at all recent accelerations of developments.

Interesting post Publicus. This morning I had cause to visit my computer man and his comment was "we Thais find it funny." My wife was as equally as worried laughing at the news and departed for work with a big smile on her face. We are in Isaan so you should get around a bit more. Maybe you can qualify the following too and tell us where; "not to mention the increased level of great alarm among the population in general".

Yellow shirts have occupied city for 6 months, have paralyzed important central parts of the city for the majority of the time, Suthep has been free to spew his filth and bile, armed yellow shirt criminals have been allowed to brandish in the same of 'security', yet when the red shirts finally rise up and approach Bangkok in the name of retaining their civil rights, the military steps in and takes over.

Whatever methods are required, the red shirts must be prepared to carry them out in order to retain their basic human rights in this country. This is tyranny plain and simply.

So the words that Jatuporn, Thida et al of the UDD were words of peace and harmony then. Not a bad, cross or wrong word was spoken by them.

Each side is as bad as the other, PDRC or UDD are the same and interchangeable.

Everybody shouting at each other and nobody was listening.

The Army gave clear warnings but BOTH sides ignored them.

With a pathetic caretaker government, a weak opposition, a totally ineffective police force, what did yoy expect the Army to do.

Let the country of 66 MILLION people slide into civil war and anarchy?

• Like 1

Don't know about soldiers, but the police were out in force at the toll gate coming from Bangna toward Chonburi collecting Bht 1,000 coffee money from cars that they claimed had been speeding up to the toll get and were caught on camera.

I don't speak Thai but the cop that stopped me after paying the toll kept pointing to a license plate number on his list that was not mine and asking for Bht 1,000 or he would write a ticket. I said, go ahead, write a ticket but he then asked for my license, would not write a ticket and made me wait there until I paid him.

They have started supplementing their redundancy money!!!

MMMMMMHHHHH

That too will pass as the country and Bangkok in particular begin to settle down, as they already have, much to the deflation of the insurrection and its insurrectionists.

The real deflation needed here is your ego. Twenty-something posts of virtual emptiness (empty vessels......)

We don't know what pushed the army over the edge but judging from Prayuth's comments, the killing of the 3 protestors recently was at least part of the 'that's enough' tipping point.

I don't think that the army will implement a full coup unless the violent sectors of the red shirts are incited into stupid action. So, what comes next? I'm not going to pretend that I know (I'll leave it up to the above mentioned knowall) but I suspect it will be a middle line between the reform before/after/in parallel election.

The general has done the right thing.

Cheap shot, glib.

Cheap in your eyes - but true.

Exactly how many people have been arrested,charged with attacks and murders of anti-Thaksin protesters or innocents? The increasingly bizarre and threatening rhetoric being spouted by CAPO seems strangely one sided too. Like warning that those against Thaksin were in danger of attack but those protesting in support would be protected. CAPO, DSI. RTP - all should be impartial and enforce the law fairly. Sadly, everyone knows they do as they are told by the PTP boss.

Well I guess I'm not screwed! Thanks for keeping this relative!

The rumour that is spreading now is that the story didn't end with the weapons found in that car. There was some coded message also, which after being cracked last night showed a phone number. That number was traced to a person working in a certain famous building in Bangkok. Then mysteriously a fire erupted (or just a fire alarm was triggered) that allowed military to enter the premises disguised as firefighters. A 1000m2 room was discovered filled with weapons and also dolls filled with explosives which had locations tagged to them throughout the city.

As said all rumours, but there was a fire reported in that building last night and now that same building is surrounded by military. If true it certainly explains the very sudden 3am declaration of martial law.

Readying Thailand for the long term!!!

I feel that you are correct sir, and I think I know what you mean by "readying Thailand for the long term"! I just hope that the Thai military allows the Thai people to decide what path Thailand takes "for the long term" wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Economically sir, populist policies have bought votes, but not allowed Thais economic long term choices.

"populist policies have bought votes" funny how this happens in democracies, if you do something that helps out the majority of the population you might just get elected wink.png I imagine your solution to the current Thai political crisis is to install an elitist group to run the country and have a corrupt fascist like suthep oversee the process, good luck with that one rolleyes.gif Thailand was going to have to ready itself for the long term sometime very soon anyway, once a certain someone passes on.

Well I guess I'm not screwed! Thanks for keeping this relative!

Don't mention it - please! Actually, as a fellow poster to TVF I'm pleased to help out in any way I can. Can I help you out the door [drumroll with sound of cymbals. smile.png ].

Now today we've had two posters I know of state their connections by marriage to army brass hats or in another instance would appear to be a judge. I'd already known of such developments from among some of the fahlang I know, so this kind of thing doesn't come as a revelation or a shock to most of us here. We of course will never know how many fahlang posters are so connected on either side of the traditionalist-modernist divide in Thailand (nor is it any of our business to know or to try to know).

The volunteering of such information is kinda helpful though because it makes things more clear.Don't stop now guys, you're sure you're on a roll Indeed, for whatever reason the present appears to be heady daze / days for you guys as you choose to come forward to make yourselves more known.

The rumour that is spreading now is that the story didn't end with the weapons found in that car. There was some coded message also, which after being cracked last night showed a phone number. That number was traced to a person working in a certain famous building in Bangkok. Then mysteriously a fire erupted (or just a fire alarm was triggered) that allowed military to enter the premises disguised as firefighters. A 1000m2 room was discovered filled with weapons and also dolls filled with explosives which had locations tagged to them throughout the city.

As said all rumours, but there was a fire reported in that building last night and now that same building is surrounded by military. If true it certainly explains the very sudden 3am declaration of martial law.

Now we're citing and further circulating and promoting rumors that you yourself are confessing are "rumors" and which are also completely unsubstantiated reports that are accompanied by innuendo and other irresponsible claims.

The only thing you failed to say was that the secret code was found in a cereal box by a general's son or some such.

Falsely claiming martial law was imposed because or principally because of a recognized fact, i.e., that weapons were found in a car, is one thing. Saying it was imposed because a secret code was found which led soldiers disguised as firefighters to a secret room in a "certain famous building in Bangkok" is rumor mongering. You yourself confess it's a "rumor."

Forum admin are seriously busy the past year or more trying to cover each and every post to each and every thread each and every day, so they might miss a post here or there that is blatantly in violation of forum rules. I haven't hit the Report function this time Gulfsailor but next time I might not be so generous, and even this time some other poster might be in a less generous mood right at this very moment.

Now we're citing and further circulating and promoting rumors that you yourself are confessing are "rumors" and which are also completely unsubstantiated reports that are accompanied by innuendo and other irresponsible claims.

The only thing you failed to say was that the secret code was found in a cereal box by a general's son or some such.

Falsely claiming martial law was imposed because or principally because of a recognized fact, i.e., that weapons were found in a car, is one thing. Saying it was imposed because a secret code was found which led soldiers disguised as firefighters to a secret room in a "certain famous building in Bangkok" is rumor mongering. You yourself confess it's a "rumor."

Forum admin are seriously busy the past year or more trying to cover each and every post to each and every thread each and every day, so they might miss a post here or there that is blatantly in violation of forum rules. I haven't hit the Report function this time Gulfsailor but next time I might not be so generous, and even this time some other poster might be in a less generous mood right at this very moment.

His rumor is as plausible as yours is….Without links from his or yours that is.

The Generals response 3 days ago regarding the deaths of 3 protestors might be a reason for martial law..

Also the way he addressed Tarit today.

Also the threats by the red shirts referring to the generals daughters stating “Taking them alive as hostages will be very good. But catching them dead is also worth it. Prayuth will know the taste of losing loved ones.

Oh, nearly forgot the cheering and celebrating the deaths of innocent protesters when the police chief said "The People’s Democratic Reform Committee members of Suthep at the protest stage in Khao Saming were deservedly given a reception by the locals. Five PDRC people were killed and over 30 injured. They deserved what they got"

The facts above override your beliefs Publicus.

Facts - The PTP;s greatest enemy.

Beliefs - There dearest friend.