TCT: Martial law would help tourism sector in long run

webfact

Figures that Tywais [ at 22./10 ] gives for tourism value to Thialand is 6% of GDP.

I believe this is an underestimate.

GDP Thailand recorded 2012 at google is $US 360 billion.

Visitors to Thailand each year about 25 million. Lets estimate conservative $1500 expenditure each.

That's more than $35 billion, and that's . That's 9% near 10% of GDP.

But there is more. The tourist dollar is cash and the flow on throughout Thailand is fast.

I do agree with the comment that Thailand may be losing favour with the younger market.

Lets look at me. I spend $25,000 one way or another every year in Thailand.

Hotels, food, gas, tips general costs.

Tourism is vital to Thailand, and yes we are just atm's

Edited by peterquixote

Ridiculous thing to come out with. Apart from a few anoraks interested in military hardware its hard to understand who would want to come to Thailand right now

On another note the idea that tourism makes up 6% (or 9% as it is actually reported) is obsurd. In other cities the skyscrappers bear the names of multi nationals banks, in Bangkok its hotels. Add in the ripple effect in terms of taxis drivers to restauarants etc and you can be sure its a huge part of the economy. In 2013 bangkok was the worlds most visited city, in 2014 its on course to drop out of the top 20!

This country doesn't 'rely' on its tourist industry!! Rice, rubber etc....

Tourism is around 6% GDP so not big but can hurt many in the industry but not much wider than that (ok, perhaps a slight snow ball effect to other areas of the economy).

----------------------

The Thai tourist sector is:

• out of date
  • overpriced
  • pitched to a older and "luxury" market
  • and increasingly going out of favor with the younger market.

That means it will inevitably decline in the future, and will not be able to compete in the "Asean" market with such places as Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia. etc.

Thailand tourism is the "old style" high price tourist business, and is going to be declining against other markets in South East Asia.

Thailand will have to learn to deal with that fact, if it can.

Mongers come rain or shine , coup or no coup - they should be rewarded with some Monger Elite Card which pays homage to the sacrifices these generally older gentlemen make at the altar of developing nation depravity (aka single moms left holding the Thai baby development fund).

This country doesn't 'rely' on its tourist industry!! Rice, rubber etc....

Tourism is around 6% GDP so not big but can hurt many in the industry but not much wider than that (ok, perhaps a slight snow ball effect to other areas of the economy).

6% registered . How much of the books?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I believe 6% includes domestic tourism too. Industry & Manufacturing make up near 50% of GDP.

You cannot believe OFFICIAL figures. It is the same accounting used by Greece to join the EU. Look where that got them? And here is the same. If we all look around we can actually see TOURISM consequences each and every day. If it is really 6% I will eat one grain of rice per week for the rest of my life.

I would not trust anything from government here. I have first hand experience seeing what a crock of idiots they are and wow do they love making up figures.

Just look at the arrivals all over the place at Bangkok. 28 million down from - 22 million! How can you trust these fools?

It is.probably more than 6% but then the total measure of GDP is probably undervalued. Tourism is a service with lots of cash business in Thailand. I am sure they try to estimate it, but how.to.capture data on foxy Lady joiner club?

For me personally martial law has no meaning at all , but for people in the west watching bbc, showing tanks and army is another story .

It really is not what TAT or TCT thinks but what regular Joe thinks watching the news

On the morning martial law was announced I called a friend in Khon Kaen at 1000 hrs to say my intended visit at the weekend was on hold until more information on restrictions etc. was available and she didn't have a clue what i was talking about !

I have no idea what the Thai channels were doing but the BBC started ' Breaking News ' at 0600.

Only in Thailand would the Tourism sector state that invoking martial law is good from local tourism.

Spot on!

It IS the land of paradox here.

I am amazed to see the a TAT is not enough! The bureaucratic bureaucracy needs of course a TCT as well to spill salt & pepper with even more nonsense...

Sick and tired about "the cats" behind a desk with no competence expressing "how it or how it should"...

I am very sad to see how LOS has lost the face but still smiles talking "smart nonsense"!

A real farce it is - in my very humble opinion

As always, the numerous different tourism organisations in this country are coming out with completely conflicting information.

I don't believe a word any of them say and prefer to rely on what I can see happening on the streets as well as talking with people involved in tourism related businesses.