Politicians must resolve problems without military help: Thailand

webfact

Politicians must resolve problems without military help
ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM
NATION NEWS AGENCY

FINALLY, the military lost patience and martial law was imposed at 3am on Tuesday. This move was surprising to some, but had been anticipated by some.

To keen political observers, the military's move was no surprise. The situation had been increasingly precarious after more than six months of confrontation and tension between the government and the People's Democratic Reform Committee. The chances of finding a way out had become extremely slim, both in terms of talk and applying the law.

A surprise was that the martial law came earlier than expected. Earlier, political observers had anticipated the military would come out only after a violent clash between the pro- and anti-government demonstrators - it still had deep wounds from the coup of September 2006.

This time the military opted for a proactive solution rather than coming out to deal with a problem after it had happened. However, the military has also chosen a different path from 2006. It is more careful and more tactful. There was no full-scale military coup. Instead, a 100-year-old martial law was imposed to deal with a modern-day political conflict. The situation is unusual for Thailand. Some actions of the Peace and Order Maintaining Command (POMC) - set up and headed by Army commander-in-chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha - are similar to what often follows a coup: mass media have been controlled, bureaucrats summoned to report to the military, various orders and prohibitions issued.

However, what is different from a coup is that the Constitution has not been abolished and the government has not been overthrown.

The military now has supreme power in politics and the balance of power has shifted. The government no longer holds the highest political power, and neither of the conflicting sides has a better status than the other.

If the military supports any of the conflicting parties, that side will have an advantage. Both sides of the political divide are aware of this, so no one has attacked the military for imposing martial law. Instead both claimed their stance would win support from the military.

It is likely the military will play a mediator's role by brokering talks between the conflicting sides. The question is - as the mediator, what will the military do to cause both sides to reduce their demands so that an accord can be reached?

There have been hopes for the military to play the mediator's role in a fair and efficient manner, for the benefit of the country. However, we should not expect the military to act as a referee or mediator every time there is a political conflict.

Politicians and those involved in politics should also learn to settle their disputes by themselves without military intervention.

It is time Thai politicians become mature and attempted to solve their problems by themselves.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-22

Quite obviously, politicians cannot solve anything.....just one debacle after another......

No-one likes martial law being imposed.....but 7 months down the road...many deaths and injuries.....and these politicians (loosly used name for them)....have failed the people of Thailand miserably......

"It is time Thai politicians become mature and attempted to solve their problems by themselves."

Wow!!!! "Thai politicians" and "mature" in the same sentence. You live long enough and anything can happen. Of course, don't expect this concept to go any further than in print. I'll file this article under: "Someone needs to get off the yaba". rolleyes.gif

"Politicians must resolve problems without military help"

Impossible, too much FACE at stake. No politician and their phony cronies can ever risk to lose face and status.

Politics in Thailand is like a never ending kindergarten, where kids bully, ridicule and beat the crap out of each other each and every day out of greed, envy etc...

Good luck, general to take care of this group of overaged, greedy, ignorant and spoiled group of nasty nasty kindergarten kids...

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

Interesting interview aired on BBC early today with a Thai Political Scientist who lectures in Singapore and appears regularly on BBC and News Channel Asia.

He was downbeat and opined if the military cannot get an acceptable PM in place there will be a ' full ' coup leading to long and difficult times even suggesting a situation like 1992 where a military power struggle saw army units engaging each other.

What a terrible thought, any chance some form of commonsense will prevail ?

Thailand needs to grow up if it wants to be considered a democracy. The only way forward is an election ; the military have got to step aside and let the people decide - if they are silly enough to be bought that is their problem; no one elses. The ballot box is the only decider democratically. The great problem in this country is that no one wants to take responsability for anything - it's always someone else's fault. No way Jose -you get the politicians and government you vote for so just get on with it. Vote for the guys who aren't corrupt - good luck if you can find any!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A coup is a coup is a coup. No way about it this is just another coup.

A coup is when a leader is overthrown by another person or the Army. You really need to google before you post your nonsense here. Lack of knowledge shows ignorance on your part

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A coup is a coup is a coup. This is a coup, don't need google just need common sense with you seems to be without.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A coup is when a leader is overthrown by another person or the Army. You really need to google before you post your nonsense here. Lack of knowledge shows ignorance on your part

deleted.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 1

deleted.

Definition of a coup: " a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government."

The only thing similar with this Martial Law was " sudden ", so hard to call it a coup.

I hope you " deleted " meant you were trying to delete your original post.

It is time Thai politicians become mature and attempted to solve their problems by themselves.

It's like hoping the kid (who picked first) and got the biggest brownie at the birthday party, will give some of his brownie to kids who picked later, and got much smaller pieces. Won't happen.

Thai politicians are like Thai drivers:

'If you see an opening, go for it'

'the heck with concern for others'

'I'm behind tinted windows closed tight, so I can do whatever I want.'

'So what if I cut a blind corner. My time/errand is more important than the other person's. Plus I save 1/10th of a second when I cut corners.'

'I'm driving an expensive new car, so no cop will give me a hard time.'

A coup is when a leader is overthrown by another person or the Army. Hmmmm... is it a coup d'etat then? It sounds better than just a coup. LOL

Lets be nice and suggest that all bases are covered.

A little bit of maturity will go along way.

-----------------------

Yes it would, but based on evidence of how the politicians behaved in the last 6 months or so, maturity is the last thing they will be able to show.

And that is not just one side, but both sides seem to be equally immature and self-serving. don't they?

So maybe the main article here has it backwards.

Maybe it's not the politicians that need to solve the political impasse in Thailand without help from the Army ..... maybe it is time for the Army to solve the political impasse with no help from the politicians, don't you see?

Democracy is for those who have the wisdom and maturity to use it properly.

From the experience of the last 6 months the established political parties have NOT demonstrated the maturity to handle democracy, have they?

I say no, neither of the two main sides has.

Thailand needs a government. A government that the Thai people can be proud of that represents the interests of the Thai people and NOT the greedy self-serving interest of blind acquisition of power, money, and prestige that the political parties have shown for the last 6 months (or more).

Since those established political parties can't seem to forget their own self interest, and work instead for the good of the country and not only their own selfish interests ..... then maybe it's time to get rid of those political parties.

I say, ban all political parties for a period of 5 years.

Appoint a non political administration and establish it by royal decree. Let those administrators rule without elections for a period of 5 years.

Then in 5 years, if the politicians have learned their lesson, let them start their "democracy" again.

Hopefully, 5 years out of power will teach the political parties how unimportant they really are.

Hopefully, by then, they will have changed their self-interest to the people's interest as their goal.

At least it is worth a try.

I kind of agree with you, my concern would be who would be this non political administration, and if they could be found, would they be incorruptible to the inevitable attempts to influence them, not just by political parties, but by many sections of society.

We have heard a lot about finding a neutral independent PM, but as yet i don't think i have seen one name put forward who would be accepted by all stake holders as at least being relatively neutral.

Another issue i foresee would be that it is not only the political system which needs reform, but also law enforcement and dare i say the armed forces as well. You can have the best 'system' in the world but if the laws are not enforced properly/quickly/fairly then there is not a great deal in having them. According to many informed persons, the actual laws are not that bad here, it is just the application and speed of enforcing them that is more the issue, not to mention the propensity to circumvent the laws when well known/wealth/powerful persons are involved.

Would the administrators if they could be found, have the ability to reform all areas that are required, not just the political sides, as doing one without the other would just be a waste of time. I am sure good and useful reform suggestions in all areas could be made, but the enforcement of these laws particularly on areas like the police/army etc would be impossible to enforce- to much money and vested interests at stake.

There needs to be a complete seismic shift in attitudes of all the top personnel that run the country, to put aside their own interests in favor of the country as a whole- sadly i just cannot see it happening.

A coup is when a leader is overthrown by another person or the Army. Hmmmm... is it a coup d'etat then? It sounds better than just a coup. LOL

As you probably know, 'coup' is short form of 'coup d'etat'

Africans had an ancient tradition of 'gaining coup.' Two competing tribes would line up across from one another, about 15 meters apart, in a field. Everyone had fighting sticks. One or a few members of one side would run over and see if they could strike (coup) one or more members of the other side, and not get hit back too badly. Just as quickly, the attackers would run back to their own line. The side which got hit the most, would depart as losers.

Another African tradition, involving men and women: Two tribes would stand off facing each other. They would take turns singing. The side which sung loudest and most intricate would win.

Perhaps Thai politicians could learn a better way to deal with their problems, from olde timer Africans.

• Like 1

As numerous Thai legal scholars have pointed out, martial law has been illegally imposed. So, it's a coup! A plain reading to the Thai constitution can lead to no other conclusion.

• Like 1

You do realise you are breaching the martial law act?

This is classed as social media and it is forbidden to criticize the military and disseminate false information to the public that may cause a negative impact on peace and order..... You have repeated this same crap on almost every thread for 2 days now.

You do realise the army met with the internet service providers yesterday who can trace your IP instantly by the HTTP signature in the links of your posts?

There is NOTHING thaivisa can do to block this from happening, and I doubt thaivisa will be too happy if this forum gets blocked by the ISPs. Because it could be forever.

As numerous Thai legal scholars have pointed out, martial law has been illegally imposed. So, it's a coup! A plain reading to the Thai constitution can lead to no other conclusion.

That goes for you too.

You red lot are swimming with sharks.

• Like 1

the media are getting very worried now about the prospect of being "gagged".

Censorship = lower readership = lower advertising revenues

Interesting times ahead to see who is the first to "have a crack" at the military in their reporting

Firstly you have children as politians fighting like dogs over a bone. neither side will to compermise. So Army steps in to settle both sides down and talk. Now it is up to the idiots to fix this mess if not then I hope there is a coup. Because it will be the government who caused it.

Now I understand how the News Group prepares the publications.

They get put the stories in one hat and the Title or Heading in the second hat. Then the Editor reaches in and pics a story and then a Title. The matching continues until all of the stories have Titles and then it is publishing time.

Good system. The Hub of Intellectual Reporting.

clap2.gif

However, what is different from a coup is that the Constitution has not been abolished and the government has not been overthrown.

The military now has supreme power in politics and the balance of power has shifted. The government no longer holds the highest political power

Nothing like a bit of spin from the master MC's of the The Nation - it's not a coup, no, really whistling.gif

Edited by fab4

It is time Thai politicians become mature and attempted to solve their problems by themselves - Maturity comes with a good education from the schools, homes and society, so I cannot see any Thai politcian getting past teen age mentality in the very near future. So at the end of the day we end up with "Mango Bob" types, we all know the ones, but they are too numerous on TV to name them all.