Thailand coup leaders suspend constitution

webfact

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a military junta can suspend the constitution, but a democratically elected government can't touch it!

"welcome to the jungle".

Obviously can be modified through the barrel of a gun. Forget buying the people, whoever owns the army, owns the constitution and the country.

suspending it and modifying it are two different things. They have suspended it to enable them to stop all the crap then it can be brought back in unchanged once they have the country on the straight and narrow. The only ones complaining are ptp/reds(plus their supporters) because it means they will have to face up for what they have done and this will mean they are toast. You want to blame someone look no further than thaksin, he refused to let anyone else take over Thailand from himself.

In 2006, the army didn't write a new constitution. They took the 1997 constitution and made some changes. It seems that they have decided that they didn't make enough changes.

... sent from my phone.

Constitution? What this constitution? We no need no stinkin' constitution.

Britain does fine without one. All u need is guiding principles and rights.

Not sure Thailand understand that.

By Britain, I assume you mean the United Kingdom. If what you say is the case, then you'd better have the CIA change their United Kingdom World Factbook page because they have its "Government type" listed as a:

constitutional monarchy and Commonwealth realm

Of course, the CIA has been known to be wrong on occasion, hasn't it?

Incidentally, who or what is this 'u' thing? I'm from Rio Linda. Also, it looks like the Thailand World Factbook page will (temporarily?) have to be changed as well to a 'military monarchy' or 'Prayuth's Private Country' some such.

Britain doesn't have a written constitution. The magna carta is a list of rights and principles of the people acknowledged by the head of state at the time.

It doesn't state how the country should be run, or anything like a constitution as is recognised by the USA or Thailand. It is a very important part of the principles of English law, but it is not a constitution.

The rest of what makes up the British system is law. There is no absolute document which cannot be touched or violated or must be protected. British law just keeps on reinventing itself to reflect the time and place in which it is enforced to reflect the best necessary outcome.

Genius. Thailand should try it sometime.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

YAY time to try to rewrite things to suit yet again....

If you cant win ... cheat

Never in a million years could I have seen this coming cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> Like I stated in a post yesterday the only way suthep and abhisit could get back in power is to come in behind the tanks like the last time Of course this time they risk an all out civil war .

There cannot be a civil war in a country that no longer exists.

The country still exists, even if the heart and soul are being crushed currently sad.png

We British don't need a written Constitution. We know how to behave. smile.png

Toodle pip!

Sure, sure. We've gone from "no constitution" to an "unwritten constitution" for the UK on this thread. I get the attempt at humor, though, but the word badly (as in "behave") sprang immediately to mind.

This Constitution of the United Kingdom (wiki) entry disputes this:

"Much of the British constitution is embodied in written documents, within statutes, court judgements, works of authority and treaties ..."

and this from the same source:

"Since the Glorious Revolution in 1688, the bedrock of the British constitution has traditionally been the doctrine of parliamentary sovereignty, according to which the statutes passed by Parliament are the UK's supreme and final source of law."

dispute that, wouldn't you say? I'm presuming that the "statutes passed by Parliament" are written.

Sure there's a lot of unwritten law in government, but would you bet your life on the inscrutability of such law? Even if the law is in writing, there's not a guarantee that it would not be "interpreted" or overridden by a judge.

Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder if the UK was ever capable of producing and upholding a succinct, concise, understandable, integral, written constitution any more than Thailand is capable of producing and upholding one.

I would say that Thailand's current constitution is certainly unwritten now since it exists in General Chan-ocha's mind and imagination, notwithstanding influences on him from multiple sources, also unwritten (to protect the guilty).

Edited by MaxYakov

Right, well I'm at a loss?

as a side; on the Telly it shows the five arms of the services, going from left: Coastguard/Army/Navy/Air Force, now the last one, looks like a wheel with a Baseball bat behind it, is that the Phuket Tuk Tuk insignia...? Or maybe only local to this island paradise??

Isn't that the Police badge?

I do like the idea of it being the crest of the Tuk Tuk Mafia though. Thank you for raising a smile on an otherwise grim day.

Police Badge...?

Yep, like I said the Tuk Tuk Mafia (*note below*)

Had a mooch around Patong on my bike 1am this morning felt very dark & spooky, all closed Soi Sansabai and Bangla rd areas: Bars, Restaurants even 7/11s and Family Marts, the Middle Eastern Qtr (resturants) on 200 Pee rd had a few customers in and first row near O-Top seemed to still have the odd punter, smattering along Nanai, just odd bar lights on it seemed. Police patrol vehicles cruising slowly around the soi's with the red lights flashing, and observed plenty of the BIB two up on the scooters riding around Sai Nam Yen, Nanai, Pissit Koranee. Street food stalls seemed open as usual, heard one female TPV outside Pizza Place on Bangla, advise a bunch of Australian kids on vacation that it would be like this for next 10 nights??? (the look on the poor kids faces when she said this) B S!! Talk about misleading info, you may read this lady - shame on you, you don't know how long these rules are in place so do not spread crap to people, your supposed to help! What you should have advised the young people was to go back to your accom and be safe... On a positive the Bin men were out working away and for the first time in years I rode along middle road without any dust being kicked up or having to negotiate ghost riders, Tuk Tuks and Tourist coaches at the juction with Banzaan (then again I was the only person on the road at that point lol)

Seems a bit daft to apply curfew in tourist places which have sweet FA to do with the way the people wish to mess up their country, No fun, no TV, if they end up pulling the NET then that will be worrying as everyone will end up on the streets after a day or two. So ideas for the Champions league final anyone???

(Police/ Tuk Tuks) - same same no?

Edited by Lokie
  • Like 1

Toodle pip!

Sure, sure. We've gone from "no constitution" to an "unwritten constitution" for the UK on this thread. I get the attempt at humor, though, but the word badly (as in "behave") sprang immediately to mind.

"Much of the British constitution is embodied in written documents, within statutes, court judgements, works of authority and treaties ..."

"Since the Glorious Revolution in 1688, the bedrock of the British constitution has traditionally been the doctrine of parliamentary sovereignty, according to which the statutes passed by Parliament are the UK's supreme and final source of law."

dispute that, wouldn't you say? I'm presuming that the "statutes passed by Parliament" are written.

Sure there's a lot of unwritten law in government, but would you bet your life on the inscrutability of such law? Even if the law is in writing, there's not a guarantee that it would not be "interpreted" or overridden by a judge.

Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder if the UK was ever capable of producing and upholding a succinct, concise, understandable, integral, written constitution any more than Thailand is capable of producing and upholding one.

I would say that Thailand's current constitution is certainly unwritten now since it exists in General Chan-ocha's mind and imagination, notwithstanding influences on him from multiple sources, also unwritten (to protect the guilty).

The UK did write a clear constitution - The Australian Constitution.

Sorry but it had to be said, lol

Toodle pip!

The UK did write a clear constitution - The Australian Constitution.

Sorry but it had to be said, lol

Thank you very much, sir! Constitution of Australia, Wiki

So, I wonder no more.