Cash sent through post, seized by Thai customs

PDavies

Evening folks, what's the procedure here. About £900 GBP sent to Thailand from the UK, and a laptop. Please no assumptions, petty jibes or trolling.

How can we reclaim it? What fee or reprimand is likely, if any? Anybody heard about similar situations, what was the outcome there?

cash should be declared and probably insured as well

if it was hidden inside a laptop ,its may well be confiscated into someones pocket already .....

i would certainntly get dow to the customs office ASAP and try to get it back or some of it

This is from the DHL website. What you can’t send

The following items will NOT be accepted for carriage by DHL. This list includes items which are prohibited for carriage by any law, regulation or statute of any federal, state or local government of any country from, to or through which the items may be carried. For international carriage there may be additional prohibited items specified by the country of destination. DHL may at its sole discretion refuse to carry other items not listed below.

• Antiques, works of art and fine art with an individual value in excess of £5,000
  • Bullion
  • Cash and travellers cheques

Yes, was aware of prohibited items and sent regardless. We used a courier instead of post to prevent anybody stealing it. Obviously cannot declare as cash or laptop as more likely to be stolen. Customs has already confirmed exact amount and it matches what we sent.

• Like 1

Yes, was aware of prohibited items and sent regardless. We used a courier instead of post to prevent anybody stealing it. Obviously cannot declare as cash or laptop as more likely to be stolen. Customs has already confirmed exact amount and it matches what we sent.

if they confirmed the amount and didnt suggest any procedure to get it back ,it maybe surrendered to the state

like other smuggled goods are ....

• Like 1

At least they were honest smile.png . Cash aside, nothing to prevent you declaring the laptop as you could have had it covered for the full amount so the theft angle is hard to buy. Are we not talking about trying to evade import duties instead ? This is really up to the customs dept, as you obviously have made a totally false declaration as to the nature of the goods you can count yourself lucky if you do emerge with a fine and the goods.

At least they were honest smile.png . Cash aside, nothing to prevent you declaring the laptop as you could have had it covered for the full amount so the theft angle is hard to buy. Are we not talking about trying to evade import duties instead ? This is really up to the customs dept, as you obviously have made a totally false declaration as to the nature of the goods you can count yourself lucky if you do emerge with a fine and the goods.

Whoever mailed it made a false declaration, not the recipient. Lets not get confused now.

I'd be interested in hearing the outcome of this, especially if it was a used laptop.

rolleyes.gif Clearly you knew it was foolish, so no point in belaboring that point here.

Do you have any receipts or documents that it is yours legally?

I guess not, but give claiming it back again a try anyhow.... but don't count on it.

Anyhow you certainly won't get it back unless you make an attempt to try to get it returned .... so go and try.

-------------------

Once at least 20 years ago (closer to 30, I guess) I actually went through Thai customs and declared in the Red line 20 kilos of Prime Rib Beef packed in two waxed paper wrapped containers.

Amazingly the Thai customs let it in.

Don't think they would do that today, it was a simpler world back then.

The story is ... I was living in a Guesthouse then and the owner promised me a Prime Rib dinner for two with all the fixings if I brought him the Prime Rib from Singapore because he couldn't get good Prime Rib like that in Thailand at that time.

I was younger, and stupider then, so I gave it a try.

I still can recall them laughing about the crazy farang and his 20 kilos of meat coming through customs.

didn't your gf.already have a laptop,or a bank account.you would think twice before sending this in the uk.never mind Thailand.

customs will want at least ??????????????????????????

Call or go to custom and ask him about your courier and how should you do to get your money back.

as far as i can recall there used to be a sign in the airport that undeclared cash maybe confiscated

dont see why the postal system would be any diiffernt

Under 10K GBP you don't have to declare .

Used international signed for for documents and goods.

Never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Go to customs , you will get your parcel and contents. I'm surprised it's been opened. They usually wait for you to arrive so you can open it in front of them. They'll be after 7% of the value put on the laptop. If it's secondhand tell em it's worth 100 quid / $$$. The money , they should give you with no problem. Lot's a smiles and apologies , you'll be fine.

Tip , never use DHL , Fedex or any other private courier. Virtually all items will get stopped at customs. Just use regular USPS , Royal Mail etc ...

Edited by nanapong

Customs may have actually done you a favor.

Once it became known there was cash in the shipment, the chances of someone pilfering it before it reached you- increased significantly.

The fact that the amount is documented would lead me to believe you can claim it, though I have no idea how- or what (if any) the penalties will be.

Take a deep breath, and contact DHL for your next step. They'll know what to do. This has happened at least once in the past...

It's ALWAYS a mistake to send cash. Sending anything Fedex, DHL, or UPS insures that the first stop will be at the very hungry Thailand Customs. Thailand Post is more reliable and honest, and it's 50/50 whether Customs will get involved. (Well, maybe more like 75/25.) Good luck getting your cash and computer back without a huge bite.

I thought its been common knowledge for at least the past 20+ years never to send cash through the post. But the only way to get items back from a courier is to have it declared on the packing slip. If its not then you wont have a fighting chance of getting it back.

Edited by bangarang