Thai coup brings mix of relief and anxiety

Lite Beer

And after all of this, in a few years or so, the next election will bring the same people to power. And as a true democrat that is the only thing that counts.

The miltairy should be kept miles away from power, as the are absolutely unfit for the task and are not legally entitled to it.

I hope the Thai people will keep their right to decide who governs them, as they have shown time and time again, it isn't the people now running the show.

In many democratic countries the majority of the populace is inept and unqualified to vote..in Thailand even more so. Cause the overwhelming majority of people cannot think for themselves, well, they are unwilling to think, culture and lack of proper education, its all a no brainer to have democracy in Thailand. Let the military sort it out, ie, and within a decade its same same again. Only until......some righteouss person with a vision stands up, and dares too as well, nothing will change. The pot of cash is not big enough for political parties to find the middleground....shades of grey.

To benalinia .... this is a very cynical view ...and a hit into the face for every Thai citizen who is trying to run his life under worst circumstances...Who do you think is able to vote ??? I agree to the lack of education , but these people are not to blame for this.Who is a qualified voter in your kind of view ?? Someone who finished High School ??? But ..... even in High School they are only taught the same old BS ..., forget it . I say that everybody is qualified to take his personal choose of what is offered to him , maybe he will become disappointed soon , may be not.There is a great lack of education in Thai schools , even if I don`t live in Thailand , I notice this everyday talking to my Thai wife. She holds a University degree , but she does know so little ...so who is the one to blame for this ???? Who wants the people to stay "dumb" and without knowledge how they could change their lifes... As sjaak327 told , the next election will bring the same people to power ...., again and again. I agree to his view , that military should be kept be kept miles away from power , as they have only learned " I shall do what I am ordered to " . The majority of Thai people ( in my kind of view ) lives a life without perspectives .. I hopefully await a person who is able to change this , I would wish that the Reds could form a new party , without the Shins ., ..As a sum up I think that every person in a democracy should ( and must ) use his right to vote , even if others condemn him of being too dumb for this.

Benalinia may be cynical, whereas you are extremely naive. People who look at and speak to the truth are often labeled as cynical or negative.

The fact is that democracy is a farce. The system in Thailand is no different than most places on the planet that claim to be "democratic". Voting, as it is called is the thing that people think is going to change their country whereas it really is the thing that maintains the status quo. Few people understand this. Voting isn't going to change anything until corruption is gone. And that is not going to happen.....anywhere. Thailand, I think is an example of the people really believing in democracy, all the political parties are extremely corrupt, and the people have chosen the one party that appears to do the most for them, even if he is giving scraps in one hand and pillaging with the other. They get something from him...in their eyes.

So you people tell me, just what voting is going to change in this country. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. You don't have to answer. You people that stand on a soapbox and go on about democracy and our right (or theirs) to vote crack me up. We are a world of sheep led by wolves, and you don't even know it. That's the sad part.

• Like 1

Weep tears for Thailand - weep tears for the stooped old lady planting rice in 40 degree sun for 300 baht a day , weep tears for the poor , dispossessed toiling sons and and daughters of Thailand who are taught they are born and live in paradise - no foreign shores retirement and bar stool barracks for them - days grind on endlessly and now they know they just don't count - so they must keep their heads down and pray for a better rebirth - coz it sure ain't happening in this one.

One day on one of my walks around Bangkok I happened upon Sirajaj Hospital and was wondering round and took a shortcut through a building which turned out to be the AE admissions - or should I say a corridor filled with trollies of the dying and surrounded by saddened loved ones as they saw their kith and kin slipping away and harassed overworked doctors and nurses rushing around trying to halt this tide of dying humanity. It was then that I truly understood this place and what it means to have no money and live on the edge.

This song's for you ...

This was your great epiphany? Topical, self indulgent meandering of one who has the freedom to be able to see the contrast; but nothing had touched you- not really. Your words wouldn't be so contrived had your experience had any real meaning. If you grasped real suffering you'd hardly find a song to "capture" it. You sound like a tourist who just needed... That one... Last... Moment to complete their photobook/memory.

Weep tears for Thailand - weep tears for the stooped old lady planting rice in 40 degree sun for 300 baht a day , weep tears for the poor , dispossessed toiling sons and and daughters of Thailand who are taught they are born and live in paradise - no foreign shores retirement and bar stool barracks for them - days grind on endlessly and now they know they just don't count - so they must keep their heads down and pray for a better rebirth - coz it sure ain't happening in this one.

One day on one of my walks around Bangkok I happened upon Sirajaj Hospital and was wondering round and took a shortcut through a building which turned out to be the AE admissions - or should I say a corridor filled with trollies of the dying and surrounded by saddened loved ones as they saw their kith and kin slipping away and harassed overworked doctors and nurses rushing around trying to halt this tide of dying humanity. It was then that I truly understood this place and what it means to have no money and live on the edge.

This song's for you ...

Send the link to Taksin he is the one responsible but am sure he will shed no tears!

Thai military are a blessing to save a land from corrupt politicians who steal from farmers God has blesses Thailand with a coup so that the mess can be cleaned and the people made free again AMEN

You really don't understand Thai Society if you think that another coup will solve the problem! It is only going to prolong the misery!

Thai military are a blessing to save a land from corrupt politicians who steal from farmers God has blesses Thailand with a coup so that the mess can be cleaned and the people made free again AMEN

You really don't understand Thai Society if you think that another coup will solve the problem! It is only going to prolong the misery!

So what's your solution? Let the kids continue to fight over the donut in the sandbox? That's been going on for a long time now. Really. Tell us how you see a solution happening. It was going to get violent. You think that letting them scrap it out to the point of civil war would be the answer?? I don't understand your perspective. If you are sitting patiently waiting for them to "work it out" and "compromise" through "seeing the other perspective" then it is you that does not understand Thai society. You piss off a Thai, you have made an enemy for life. That's Thai society. How are they going to work it out? They don't have the skills.

Thaksin may love the coup for international relations but domestically it hammers home the point that a credible opposition to the Democrats needs a party composed of decent MPs, dedicated to improving the country, not serving one family.

Policies need to be sustainable not absurdly short term as was the rice mortgage scheme, tax rebate for first car, tablets, etc.

Cynics will say with reason that the patronage system is deeply embedded in Thai society, rich men help MPs financially who then help local politicians who then help canvassers, etc, money politics dominate- after all Thaksin bought the entire NAP MPs( nearly 80) bar one years ago.

But times are changing, the young are more mobile, less prone to the influence of seniors, social media means more openness, although sadly more hate speech too, I believe the time is ripe for an upgrade of MPs on both sides in terms of vision, efficiency and public spirited values.

The Democrats need a new leader, more down to earth and Pheua Thai need someone who really works for all Thais not the Shinawats.

• Like 1

Thank you, PDRC and members of the Democratic Party, for hanging in so long and for making so many sacrifices, in order to get rid of Thaksin's cronies. Our thanks to the military and General Prayuth, for finally stepping in and stopping the bloodshed.

Let's hope that Thailand will move on, in a positive way after all this. Long Live the King! Long Live Thailand!

MLLH&R

Agreed 100 percent........ Let us get it together, just my two sense... Kerrywai2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The coup doesn't only bring relief and anxiety. It brings hope too.

Tarit and Chalerm who tried to threaten everybody with arrests for treason if they showed sympathy for the protest movement, were on top of the corruption piramid. Now most of the leaders are locked up.

Best start of the cleanup is at the top. All the lesser authorities will see what they are facing if they don't fast cleanup their acts. The same time normal people are encouraged to report corruption and try to fight it. The examples are being set now.

Why else were the only results in fighting the shootings and bombings made by the army? The police were/are on the payroll of the missunderstood fugitive. How is it possible they hardly had any results in 7 months? Reporting suspicious stuff to the police was equal to try to commit suicide. Now people will feel safe to report things they think are wrong to the military.

Would be lovely if the missunderstood fugitive can be brought to justice too. But first revoke his diplomatic passport. It's an outrage that that criminal got one.

The coup brings hope. Let the bad guys pay for their doings. Make room for others. It's a process that will take time. But things are on the move.

Bravo Prayuth!

"But first revoke his diplomatic passport." In reference to Thaksin.

Very Dramatic but a country cannot revoke a passport that it did not issue. Thaksin's passport was issued by Nicaragua. Thailand can refuse to recognize the passport and either refuse entry into Thailand or refuse diplomatic immunity and arrest him upon entry for fleeing as a felon. Given the recent coup, Mynamar and Cambodia might want to issue Thaksin a passport just to rile the Thai military.

Abhisit has offered to stand down and take o part in he nexrt election.

What has the PTP offered in the same connection?

Absolutely nothing.

Edited by astral
Removal of quote - Please use Reply button a the bottom

This song's for you ...

This was your great epiphany? Topical, self indulgent meandering of one who has the freedom to be able to see the contrast; but nothing had touched you- not really. Your words wouldn't be so contrived had your experience had any real meaning. If you grasped real suffering you'd hardly find a song to "capture" it. You sound like a tourist who just needed... That one... Last... Moment to complete their photobook/memory.

Not my best work for sure - but have spent over 3 years in country in the last 15 and worked in Bkk in a non teaching post for a year and have been married to Thai for over 11 years so I think I have some understanding of what is going on and how most normal people eke out their lives. But in essence you are right - a tad trite, contrived and I should have self edited it. But in essence I stand by the sentiment that for most normal Thais life is bloody hard in a hot country for little reward. They deserve better.

Nobody deserves anything,it's all down to luck, we were born in the right places to the right parents, the Thais for the most part weren't, there just isn't enough good stuff to go round. I support my family, i don't have enough blood to bleed for everybody nor the inclination.

Edited by astral

TV posters should know, I should not have been as rude to BeautifukThailand as I was. Of all ppl I have been bitching about wanting more compassion and less rudeness. His response was so... well, you can read it- humbling. I wish I had been as hard, but more polite. Sorry poster.

Edited by astral

Nobody deserves anything,it's all down to luck, we were born in the right places to the right parents, the Thais for the most part weren't, there just isn't enough good stuff to go round. I support my family, i don't have enough blood to bleed for everybody nor the inclination.

there's a lot of truth in what you say...

• 3 weeks later...

The coup doesn't only bring relief and anxiety. It brings hope too.

Tarit and Chalerm who tried to threaten everybody with arrests for treason if they showed sympathy for the protest movement, were on top of the corruption piramid. Now most of the leaders are locked up.

Best start of the cleanup is at the top. All the lesser authorities will see what they are facing if they don't fast cleanup their acts. The same time normal people are encouraged to report corruption and try to fight it. The examples are being set now.

Why else were the only results in fighting the shootings and bombings made by the army? The police were/are on the payroll of the missunderstood fugitive. How is it possible they hardly had any results in 7 months? Reporting suspicious stuff to the police was equal to try to commit suicide. Now people will feel safe to report things they think are wrong to the military.

Would be lovely if the missunderstood fugitive can be brought to justice too. But first revoke his diplomatic passport. It's an outrage that that criminal got one.

The coup brings hope. Let the bad guys pay for their doings. Make room for others. It's a process that will take time. But things are on the move.

Bravo Prayuth!

Excellent post there, Eric. Probably the best post I've seen on TVF.

• Like 1