Dog bite

MrMuddle

I've just been bitten by one of our pet dogs, (who have all been vaccinated for several years, against Rabies). Do I need to go to Hospital tomorrow ? It's curfew time at present. I am worried about infection, as I only have one kidney. Any advice ?

Difficult question and I don't know.

But I think it is easy to get an infection from a dog bite. Normally if it bleed a lot it is less dangerous as the blood takes out most of the things. If there is not much blood it is easier to get an infection.

But that is very general.....

If they are vaccinated against rabies I wouldn't be too afraid of an delay to see the doc....

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

Your remaining kidney is far more endangered by a potential nasty soft tissue infection than by a therapeutic course of antibiotics.

If however you prefer and the wound is looking very clean, you could wait on the abx in favor of just twice daily wound care with an antiseptic. (Irrigate thoroughly with normal saline and then betadine , apply sterile dressing). But watch carefully because if any redness starts to develop around the edges of the wound, abx must be started promptly..

• Like 1

The Hospital gave me a first Anti-Rabies injection, (with three more to follow, two this week, and one in a months time, plus a Tetanus injection, (it had been many years since I had one), and a short course of anti-biotics. I used the local Government hospital (I have a foreigner medical card), and was very impressed with the service I received. Thank you to all on here for your good advice, and replies to my questions.