High School Graduates Need Not Apply

farangsay

I understand that posing one's candidature for the assembly in LOS requires that

the candidate has a university degree.

Firstly I have not heard of this requirement in other countries (but it may exist).

Secondly , has the logic behind this ever been explained ?

The current ruling party and prime minister were elected (and re-elected) on the basis

of populist policies. Their "constituency" very much includes the rural poor , but the above

rule largely excludes that constituency from their ranks.

Any thoughts guys and gals ?

:o

It is perfectly logical. Jobs for the boys. :D

It keeps the poor out of government, simple as that.

After all they might actually come up with sensible measures for dealing

with the country's problems.

We can't have that, can we. :o

In the early 90s there was a raft of complaints about Thai MPs who didn't have the necessary degree. Much discussion about 'Police College and Army College certificates".

Needless to say, those in power remained there.

With the opening of higher education to the masses, this rule is soon to become outdated, and no doubt a new rule will be required.

I agree, most members of Congress probably hold university degrees as it is the culturally accepted norm, but I think the point was, that it is probably not a requirement in the US or UK in order to hold office.

With the opening of higher education to the masses, this rule is soon to become outdated, and no doubt a new rule will be required.

Thats right, they'll make a rule that you'll have to have a lot of money so that you can afford to distribute bags of rice with 200 baht stapled to it........

er...um...sorry, they already have that rule :o

back to the drawing board then........

A range of public and private universities in Thailand will bestow a master's degree on you after 0 classroom hours and a one of payment of 1,000,000+ baht. TiT :o

Think you'll find they come in a good site cheaper than a million. Sakhon Nakhon University was dispensing them a few years ago to aspiring pollies at a five figure sum a throw, but not sure what the going rate is these days for an MA or PhD. Ask the godfather of Suphan for some inside info. :D

I agree, most members of Congress probably hold university degrees as it is the culturally accepted norm, but I think the point was, that it is probably not a requirement in the US or UK in order to hold office.

George W Bush

Education: Bachelor's degree, Yale University, 1968; MBA, Harvard University, 1975

The mind boggles... :o

George W Bush

Education: Bachelor's degree, Yale University, 1968; MBA, Harvard University, 1975

It's quite amusing to see someone whose intellectual requirements are apparently satisfied by living in Pattaya making laboured fun of George Bush's academic attainments.I would be interested to know whether the poster from Pattaya has achieved equal educational status (to prepare him for the intellectual cut and thrust of the Eastern Seaboard, pub quiz nights etc)

I'm no supporter of Bush and question his judgement in many areas, not least foreign affairs.However it is a very common delusion among tabloid reading lower class Brits that Bush is some kind of goofball intellectually.As any switched on American would tell you, including his political opponents, Bush is a very smart savvy operator albeit one in my view with defective judgement.

Back to the original point it is ridiculous that any politician in any country should be by statute required to have a college degree, and I think any such stipulation is profoundly undemocratic.The intent is of course is to discourage working class participation in politics.If this rule had been applied in 19th century Britain an independent Labour party would never have emerged.

George W Bush

It's quite amusing to see someone whose intellectual requirements are apparently satisfied by living in Pattaya making laboured fun of George Bush's academic attainments.I would be interested to know whether the poster from Pattaya has achieved equal educational status (to prepare him for the intellectual cut and thrust of the Eastern Seaboard, pub quiz nights etc)

Hmmm, interesting that you appear to believe that satisfying one's "intellectual requirements" is dependent on where one lives... :D

Would you like a copy of my Curriculum Vitae?

I could also send you a scan of my diary to open your eyes, but that would be infra dig and might be perceived as using a sledgehammer to crack a nut... :D

For us farang expats, you supposedly don't need a degree for any profession other than teaching. Of course, few other professions are open to farangs due to the 1979 Alien Employment Act which protects the jobs for Thais. This is why most farangs go into teaching; it's not necessarily their first career choice. Schools are so desperate for applicants these days, you often don't need a degree to teach and the paperwork can be "adjusted" to get you the necessary work permit, teaching license, etc.

Well guys and girls

It appears nobody really knows ?

When either a law is passed (or something is put in the constitution) there are

usually clearly expressed reasons given at the time.

e.g. In the US a president cannot serve more than two terms (they don't want dictators)

and must be US born (they certainly don't want foreign dictators). These reasons

were expressed by the founding fathers at the time.

I was going to post a similar question on the 'farangs cannot buy land' subject but

I have decided against because somebody would find a way to bring George F Bush

into the conversation and that would attract abuse (if he lodged in Pattaya or Patong or

any other "fleshpot".

à plus

A range of public and private universities in Thailand will bestow a master's degree on you after 0 classroom hours and a one of payment of 1,000,000+ baht. TiT :o

For that price they can spend a year or two at a US based diploma mill, sharpen their English skills, and come back with an even more impressive foreign "degree." There is such a diploma mill in my home town in the US and it will often have more Thai students than the local major university. I have a very close friend who obtained a degree there and has been head of a well known English language school in downtown Bangkok for years now.

Then there is my brother-in-law who has but a high school diploma. But he spent over a year in Bangkok several years ago with the extended demonstration/protests of the rural poor. During that time he spent many, many days, often living with the few activist professors from Chula and Thamasaat who supported the protestors and then returned to Chiang Mai as an acivist. These days, intense debates with government officials he is constantly being asked which college he graduated from. He then gives them this big infectious smile, and almost but not quite gloating, informs them that he is but a high school grad.

Conditions of Candidature

Candidates standing for election to the House of Representatives must have the following

qualifications: (1) have Thai nationality by birth; (2) be at least 25 years on the

election day; (3) hold a degree not lower than a bachelor’s degree or equivalent,

except in the case of former members of the House of Representatives or former members of the

Senate; or (4) be a member of any and only one political party for a consecutive

period of not less than 90 days prior to the date of applying for candidacy in an

election.

This is the first time that a candidate in an election is required to hold at least a

bachelor’s degree or equivalent. In the past, the educational qualification of

candidates in an election was not specified except in the case of candidates

whose fathers were foreigners. This change is in response to a call from the

public during the period of drafting the constitution that members of the HoR

and the Senate should have an adequate education so as to be able to perform

their responsibilities effectively. Moreover, it is expected that the requirement of

a bachelor’s degree will improve the quality of members of the National

Assembly as a whole. Former members of the HoR and the Senate are exempted

from this requirement because they have already had working experience in

parliament. Another reason for this exception was to get support for the passage

of the 1997 Constitution Bill from members of the HoR and the Senate whose

educational qualifications were below a bachelor’s degree.

Taken from:

http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/iez/01361009.pdf

You mean, about the validity of requiring a Uni degree to run for Thai parliament or were you misled by the digression into American politics which is totally OFF TOPIC?

Conditions of Candidature

Candidates standing for election to the House of Representatives must have the following

qualifications: (1) have Thai nationality by birth; (2) be at least 25 years on the

election day; (3) hold a degree not lower than a bachelor’s degree or equivalent,

except in the case of former members of the House of Representatives or former members of the

Senate; or (4) be a member of any and only one political party for a consecutive

period of not less than 90 days prior to the date of applying for candidacy in an

election.

This is the first time that a candidate in an election is required to hold at least a

bachelor’s degree or equivalent. In the past, the educational qualification of

candidates in an election was not specified except in the case of candidates

whose fathers were foreigners. This change is in response to a call from the

public during the period of drafting the constitution that members of the HoR

and the Senate should have an adequate education so as to be able to perform

their responsibilities effectively. Moreover, it is expected that the requirement of

a bachelor’s degree will improve the quality of members of the National

Assembly as a whole. Former members of the HoR and the Senate are exempted

from this requirement because they have already had working experience in

parliament. Another reason for this exception was to get support for the passage

of the 1997 Constitution Bill from members of the HoR and the Senate whose

educational qualifications were below a bachelor’s degree.

Taken from:

http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/iez/01361009.pdf

Thank you Slimdog for a very complete and lucid answer