Jobs situation and need advise

Hi everyone,

not sure this is the right category, so, sorry in advance if i made a mistake here.

I arrived in thailand in january(this year), tho i've been to thailand many times before.

I've had no success finding a job here, i sent many CVs via direct mail and via websites such as jobsDB, but got only a few replies, no real job, except one but work permit not provided so i walked away.

My field is Restaurant & Hotel, i have a degree and about 5 to 6 years experience which i got in France.

My thai is not bad but not awesome either.

So i can say i speak French, English, and some Thai.

I was also looking at maybe, MAYBE, opening a business here, but a capital of 2 milions baht is a bit too much, now maybe the law change and im not aware of it. I dont intend on opening a big company, but im a bit surprise you still need 2 milions if you want to open a shop in bangkok, or anywhere else. Not a bar or anything but a shop.

I have saving but saving always run out after awhile, so i seek advise.

Clearly i am wondering what can a foreigner do, no troll answer thx.

At the best of times a foreigner planning on starting a restaurant in Thailand would have a low probability of succeeding. At this particular point in time you really don't want to do this. Not a troll response, but what I consider fairly sensible advice.

As far as looking for work in existing restaurants, I would think most are struggling to keep their Thai or foreign employees now and the last thing they would be doing is looking for new foreign hires.

The 2 million baht you're talking about is most likely "registered capital, " not necessarily cash on the table or in the bank, but that would be the least of the problems you'd face, especially now and especially if the thought of raising 2 million baht defeats you.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Alright, thanks for the answer, i'm not looking to open a restaurant, just wondering about a few stuff, but i've seen a few places that seem a bit odd, since you need 4 thai staff for 1 foreigner.

For example one italian restaurant i went to, a foreigner/thai couple, only them, no other staff, owns and work in that restaurant, everyday.

How is that possible?

Or is he just taking a risk?

Asking for 4 thai staff for getting a WP for a foreigner in your OWN business if its a small shop doesnt make much sense to me but okay.....

Edited by Nef

Asking for 4 thai staff for getting a WP for a foreigner in your OWN business if its a small shop doesnt make much sense to me but okay.....

You have to look at it from the Thai government's point of view; the people who make the rules. If you start a business and do not employ any Thais, you aren't benefiting the Thai people. It's not about the size of your enterprise. In their eyes, a Thai person could run that shop just as well as you could, so why allow a foreigner to do it instead with no reprisals. Thailand isn't like America, it's not a land of opportunity for immigrants.

The weakness in the OP's question is that it starts from looking for a job in Thailand right now. A more considered approach might be to return to return West, say London, get a job with an international hotel chain like Marriott, register for a p/t business management master's degree, try to get keep up with and get some certification for your Thai language skills and then after about 5 years have the qualifications and some experience for a company to want to send you to Thailand. That's the longer and harder way to build up an effective CV. Scrabbling around for an opening now is not so good, either now or for the future. Career first, love second.

• Like 1

The weakness in the OP's question is that it starts from looking for a job in Thailand right now. A more considered approach might be to return to return West, say London, get a job with an international hotel chain like Marriott, register for a p/t business management master's degree, try to get keep up with and get some certification for your Thai language skills and then after about 5 years have the qualifications and some experience for a company to want to send you to Thailand. That's the longer and harder way to build up an effective CV. Scrabbling around for an opening now is not so good, either now or for the future. Career first, love second.

The wealness in your approach is op just wants to open a SHOP!

Yes, hold on a sec.

As i said im just asking for info to make clear a few things, because the thai law and how people bend it is really hard to understand.

No one actually seem to have an answer about that italian restaurant, 1 thai 1 foreigner no employee. Whereas the law says 4 thai for 1 foreigner 4:1 ratio.

Ive seen other places like this, this is just an example.

Him and his wife are the owner, still the law seem different. So i assume he is just working illegally in his own shop?

if 2million bht.is above you you have not a cat in hells chance of setting up anything.

if you spent 5yrs.in france why don't you try teaching.

Never been interested in teaching but yes that could be a solution

Edited by Nef

Being married to a Thai only rquires 2 employees and 1 Million capitol ( unless Chonburi)....so him, his wife and maybe they are paying a cleaner...or at least paying social security payments for someone in order to apply for a WP

The wealness in your approach is op just wants to open a SHOP!
He is perfectly entitled to try that. Up to you as they say. In life however, what you want now is not necessarily the best strategy. IMHO to open a restaurant with limited capital and career experience is too risky, but hey, Thailand's siren song is calling.