Sony Projector Tv

Mumbo Jumbo

Ive just seen a new large screen Sony Projector type TV , priced at 39,500 Baht and I am looking for a new TV, but never having any thing to do with Projector type TV's I am not too sure just what I may let my self in for with this type of TV..? has any forum member got a projection type Tv or has had experiance / comments / advice on the subject...?

Thanks ................

If you want to go the projection route, you should only look at the models that aren't floor-standing, ie, the ones that are designed to sit on a shelf/table. The ones that are floor standing, which have a stand as a fixed part of the TV itself, are older models. Their viewing angle and picture quality is very bad, and they need to be calibrated every so often. The newer, smaller ones without a floor stand are much better. I think the one you're looking at is an older model.

With projection TVs, you get big size and good resolution at low prices. However, the brightness is not good, and the contrast is poor compared to CRTs. You also have slow warm up and you need to change the bulb every few years.

With the World Cup, plasmas and LCDs have come down considerbly... to around the 40-60k baht range. You might want to reconsider.

If you want to go the projection route, you should only look at the models that aren't floor-standing, ie, the ones that are designed to sit on a shelf/table. The ones that are floor standing, which have a stand as a fixed part of the TV itself, are older models.

Not quite sure what Firefoxx is on about :o but I have a samsung 50in and the very last thing you would want to do is put it on a shelf!!

The latest RPTV are DLP and are fantastic. If you want a big TV with fantastic quality then they are fantastic. I viewed many TV's before I took the plunge and IMHO plasma and LCD are not as good picture wise as my DLP.

However, the brightness is not good, and the contrast is poor compared to CRTs. You also have slow warm up and you need to change the bulb every few years.

I'm sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. Just plain wrong. I'm coming to BKK in the summer and I am selling my DLP here in the UK. One of the first things I will do is to find a replacement DLP and it will have to be one hel_l of a deal for me to go for a plasma/LCD.

Do read others first hand and honest opinions, go to

www.avforums.com

Edited by Cromarty

I'm sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. Just plain wrong. I'm coming to BKK in the summer and I am selling my DLP here in the UK. One of the first things I will do is to find a replacement DLP and it will have to be one hel_l of a deal for me to go for a plasma/LCD.

Do read others first hand and honest opinions, go to

www.avforums.com

I fully agree with above having a 61"dlp, I only regret that I didnt wait a few months more becuase now they have 70" at the price I paid my 61.

rono

I fully agree with above having a 61"dlp, I only regret that I didnt wait a few months more becuase now they have 70" at the price I paid my 61.

rono

I suspect Firefox was thinking about the CRT based projection systems which does/did have all the problems he mentioned. The DLP is certainly a vast improvement but also have the issue of bulb dimming and replacement at a hefty cost. My understanding the life time is anywhere from 1000-6000 hours for the bulb depending on model and useage (display settings).

I have a Samsung 50" DLP, and it is great, especially with HD content. I just saw it and the matching stand listed at $2000 here in the US (I got mine a year ago without the stand for $1700). Being that LOS is a bit draconian and do not believe in lowering taxes on imported goods, this television will probably cost 1 billion baht.

Which part is rubbish? Really, guys, I was comparing typical projection TVs, even the current ones, to CRTs. You really think that typical projection TVs have the same contrast ratio to CRTs? Brightness? No. Do they need to have their bulbs changed every few years? Yes.

Yes, the older Samsung DLP TVs have their own stand, and belong to the newer generation, in terms of technology. They are the exception, not the rule, since even the current Samsung DLP TVs have no stand. You'll see that nearly all other current-gen projection TVs have no stand. Please, guys, go and take a look at the older models with stands and the newer models without stands, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yes, the older models are the CRT-based, tri-color models that need focusing every now and then, and no, the newer ones don't need that, and yes, I already mentioned this.

There *are* really good projection TVs, and those are the SXRD/LCOS type. These rival even CRTs in display quality. However, they're even more expensive than plasmas/LCDs, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond the 39k baht model the OP was looking at (add another zero to the price tag).

I wonder if I have to get bashed every time I give information on the good and bad points of a product (especially if someone happens to own said product)? I really haven't said anything that's actually inaccurate, people.

Oh, and to risk even more wrath, a sore point of projection TVs is their viewing angle. Current models are much better (again) than older models, but still suffer from limited vertical viewing angle.

Edited by Firefoxx