New EcoSport,or 'old' X5...?

Well,it's been kind of boring around here (except for the obvious c... situation),so what do you guys think,should I get a brand new EcoSport,or 10 year old BMW X5?I know,it is kind of weird to compare these two,but let say the X5 is really nice,has only 70+K km on the clock and....I can possibly get it for the same money...

...fire away....I do have some time to think about it,but some helpful thoughts will be appreciated... ;)

Very low miles on that X5. Obviously much better car, no comparison, if you have the money for the maintenance. However, I'm not sure you would be able to resell anything like that in the next couple years if that is a consideration. I think tough times are coming, and indeed here, as far as used car resale, and that car only appeals to those with money enough to play, and that pool seems to be shrinking in this environment.

We seem to be heading into unknown economic territory, probably a prolonged period of austerity where Thai consumers will buy more economical cars or keep existing ones (unable to sell used cars). But, maybe I'm misreading the signs? If you scour Taladrod, dealfish, Thaicar etc., and monitor how long older premium cars are sitting, it seems like an eternity.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

eh Funcat, not happy with the Ranger anymore?

I intend to keep mine for app 5 years and then see what is on the market then, it don't necessary have to be a pick-up truck again and I am not brand loyal at all but will buy whatever I think is the best on the market for our needs at the time of purchasing.

Don't get me wrong...I'm keeping the Ranger(at least for 5 years)...and the X5,or EcoSport will be a keeper as well for awhile,more like 'around town' car....I was just thinking,that (instead of the maintenance costs) the X5 could bring much more pleasure to life of driving... ;)

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong...I'm keeping the Ranger(at least for 5 years)...and the X5,or EcoSport will be a keeper as well for awhile,more like 'around town' car....I was just thinking,that (instead of the maintenance costs) the X5 could bring much more pleasure to life of driving... wink.png

Cool man,

We only have one 4 wheeler in the household for our needs, I simply find it too expensive to run a 4 wheeled vehicle, be it a sedan or truck so only one at all times but off-course needs are different .

I think the EcoSport looks cute, ha-ha, and when we visited Ford Pattaya for booking a service for the Ranger I saw a lot of them there and one was picked up by a customer. The EcoBoost engine should be very good but sadly not yet offered in Thailand, hopefully it will come later on.

Fun factor, well well, I given up on it long time ago, lets face it, cars with less than 300 hp is not really that fun to drive but more like a box with windows getting you from A to B.

I seen a few Suzuki Swifts slightly modified (wider rims and a bit of body work) and they looks great, have you considered one of those?

In all honesty, after now having the new Ecosport for about a month (though I don't personally drive it much), the fun factor is not really there for driving enthusiasts. It is more akin to a C segment ride and handling, and when I say that, I mean more like a Sylphy or Corolla than a Focus, Civic or Mazda 3. So, let that be a guide. It is a very nice ride and I think the best mini SUV for the money, but it is not fun to drive, other than that it is a novelty and everyone wants to take pics and look at it, and it drives really quiet and smooth.

I have a couple of toys for fun, but if I were looking for an extra fun car I could get for simply tooling around town, and cheap it would be this one, and it is about a third of the price of the Eco or X5, and would also get you oohs and ahs:

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1397362

I only asked about the X5 in comparison with the EcoSport,because I know one particular X5 may be available for sale soon.There is not to many around,so it will be nice to know something more about it...If somebody got an experience with this particular car,I would appreciate the input....

...and thanks to posters,who already shared their views here... ;)

If you know the car buy the X5 bung an LPG system on and drive around with gay abandon. There are lots of independent BMW repair shops at least in Bangkok. You can even surf for X5 LPG it has been done before.

Edited by VocalNeal

up grading or down grading ?

Guy in my Village had for years a Land Rover Discovery, last year changed the old thing for a year old Pajero Sport, hated it, sold it 3 month later and bought a Range Rover 4.4, 2008, 6 months on still loves it....

I do like the Ecosport, but for the price could also get a year old Ford Escape, or new Nissan Juke, guess by the end of the year 2nd hand near new, will see the Subaru XV maybe even the Mazda CX5 for the same price.. so is a question, all the praise for the Ecosport is with the Turbo engine which is not sold here.

The BMW X5 well is a different class, but 10 years old [some people have silly little problems often with the electrics = costly repairs...... often same on many different luxury makes]

Edited by ignis