Non-Immigrant Visa Without Getting A Work Permit

This is from post #1: I literally just want to live there with my son until my husband moves over.

Enrolling in a school year 1 or so just for non-IMMs when extended tourist visas are available right there in Dallas is IMHO not in sync with the above -- at a minimum you will have to arrange for your son's supervision 4 hours per week + travel and even if you enroll via SKYPE you will be distracted for those 4 hours + study. You would be making things far more complicated than necessary.

You seem of forgotten that tourist visas require border runs to start the next entry.

I suspect she will be able to find somebody to help with her child.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No UJ -- I haven't forgotten a visa run once every 3 months and finding someone to take care of a special needs child one day per week may not be as easy as you think.

Edited by JLCrab

Based upon your option 1) above I would suggest you go visit with your son in person the Honorary Consul in Dallas and see what he might suggest. They have wide discretion as to 'O' and even 'B' visas as you will be per post #1 investigating investment opportunities

I think you might be right. That might be the best way to figure it out. If I still can't get an answer, then I'll let Siam Legal figure it out for me. They do this all the time, and I'm sure my situation can't be THAT unique, right?

whistling.gif The point t I wanted to make is that there is NO such thing as a Non Ed VISA issued by any Thai consulate or Embassy.

What they issue is a non immigrant NON O visa.

If that is a 90 day visa or a one year multi entry visa it will always be called a Non immigrant NON O visa in the passport.

It may be issued for different reasons, but in your passport it will always be referred to as a NON O visa.

As per my example, I have a so-called retirement visa.

But it is officially a non immigrant NON O visa.

It was issued for the purpose of retirement , and it's labeled that way, but it is called a non immigrant NON O visa by the consulate I got it at.

If I received my visa from the consulate for the purpose of:

• retirement
  • education
  • or to visit to relatives in Thailand
  • or to support children in Thailand

it would always be called a non Immigrant NON O visa when issued by the consulate or embassy

whistling.gif The point t I wanted to make is that there is NO such thing as a Non Ed VISA issued by any Thai consulate or Embassy.

If that is a 90 day visa or a one year multi entry visa it will always be called a Non immigrant NON O visa in the passport.

It may be issued for different reasons, but in your passport it will always be referred to as a NON O visa.

It was issued for the purpose of retirement , and it's labeled that way, but it is called a non immigrant NON O visa by the consulate I got it at.

• retirement
  • education

it would always be called a non Immigrant NON O visa when issued by the consulate or embassy

So, in this scenario, I would get a non-o before I head over. Then, when it's time for the extension, I tell them what? That I'm taking Thai classes? I mean, I plan to be doing that anyway, but is it really that simple?

• retirement
  • education

You are completely wrong about visas only being non-o visas. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

They are all non immigrant visas not non-o's.

• Like 1

From the Dallas Honorary Consulate you could possibly get a one-year multiple entry 'O' or 'B' visa for both you and your son which would would give up to 15 months with a visa run every 90 days but with no further complication.

BTW personally I have never had a non-IMM 'O' visa. I received 2 one year multiple entry 'B' visas in succession from a US Honorary Consulate based upon my assisting with US Federal credentials a Thai NGO under auspices of HM the KIng before going to extension based upon retirement.

BTW2 This is a bio of the Honorary Thai Consular in Dallas: http://www.dfwairport.com/about/admin/board/P1_008382.php

Edited by JLCrab

<snipped to remove incorrect info>

So, in this scenario, I would get a non-o before I head over. Then, when it's time for the extension, I tell them what? That I'm taking Thai classes? I mean, I plan to be doing that anyway, but is it really that simple?

You can ignore the post your replied to.

You will apply for a non immigrant ED visa using paper work you get from a school.

You son will apply for a non immigrant O visa as your dependent. You will need his birth certificate when you apply for it.

• Like 1

I wasn't clear, but are you planning on home-schooling your child?? Since it seems you have funds, why not enroll him in an international school? They will supply the paper work you then get your visa as his care-giver. You just mail in photocopies of your passport every three months and you are good to go. That is exactly what I did during a one year transition between contracts.

The first time I got a type O from another US consulate, not in Dallas, I had a big story lined up for them; building a home on Samui, living with a Thai lady, have to be there to oversee construction, etc......I rehearsed my speech, planned it, worried about it, all until the day of my appointment.

On that day I walked into the Consulate, asked the lady for a Type O visa, and was fully prepared to get a full onslaught of questions. Problem is, she didn't ask me anything except for the [at the time] fee of 160 dollars. No questions, no hassles, in and out in 10 minutes. Worked the exact same way for the next 5 years as well, the only thing that changed was the fee [now I believe it's 220]. I am post-50 now so have no more needs to get a Type O but from my experience it was really simple.

Your mileage may vary and the Dallas consulate may be a bit more of a stickler for details, but for the consulate in my area it was easy as pie.

I wasn't clear, but are you planning on home-schooling your child?? Since it seems you have funds, why not enroll him in an international school? They will supply the paper work you then get your visa as his care-giver. You just mail in photocopies of your passport every three months and you are good to go. That is exactly what I did during a one year transition between contracts.

My son has special needs and can't go to a regular school. Thanks, though.