Just starting out

Hi all , am currently living in australia with my thai partner, slowly getting some land together in lampang to eventually move over and have a million ideas, we have 10 rai a short distance up the mountain which I was thinking of putting rubber trees in as water supply is limited, on the flat we have four rai , have dug a half rai pond which we have a few fish in , put a basic house up and am considering a brick factory , or have heard of people growing chickens for CP does anyone have any experience in either, we have power and water connected

Thanks

Morgan

post-161621-0-15633900-1400998812_thumb.

post-161621-0-95952500-1400998844_thumb.

post-161621-0-32373800-1400998904_thumb.

• Like 1

Curious. How much that little house cost you to build. Thanks.

As far as what to grow.... wifey tells me that date trees are the next thing. right The price for dates is high. She say they will produce in 3-4 years. I personally know nothing about date farming. I farm cane. You don't have enough land to bother with cane. Rubber...hmmm. I don't know if the price will recover. Many people planted rubber when the price was high. Now the price is not good, and there are many farms coming up that have been planted that aren't producing yet. I'd think that one over pretty carefully. It's also a 6-7 year investment up front before production.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Just started reading up on date palms. Pretty involved. And a long term investment. 4-8 years...Nt sure what that depends on; breed or if from seedlings or clones. Clones will produce quicker than seedlings but not sure if within 4 years. Reading...

Edited by Canada

Hi Canada, the house cost a bit under 200000 baht , building a bathroom onto it now , so will let you know the end cost ,will have to look Into growing dates on the ten rai , mainly looking at either a small scale brick factory , or growing chickens for CP on the main bit of land heard mixed reviews about them

You didn't mention that that the road to your 10 rai may not usable in the wet season, but you will no soon. If the road is not usable in the rainy season you need to consider a crop that needs little or no maintenance for a couple of months during the heaviest rains. You could consider corn, cassava, or pumpkins. Before you plant any type of crop, you should try to determine if anyone else is doing it. Some things may look good on paper (calculator), but they may just no grow there. Consider how easy your crop could be stolen since you won't live on the land.

You can make money with chickens through CP, but you will need to fork out a lot of money and build the barn to their specs (not cheap at all). Also you may not have enough land. CP has some very strict guidelines on how far you barn needs to be from other structures or any other poultry. If someone can raise chickens on the adjoining land you may have a problem. You need to meet with CP to find out more. On the plus side they will train you and everything is organized for you. Build it and they will bring all the chicks and feed. Down side is you are at their mercy for feed and stock.

Bricks would be interesting. You will need a steady supply of good clay and wood that you can control for a very long time. Miserable work in the hot season. will be smelly all the time.

You have other options depending on where exactly you are, what your goals are, and what your finances are. How ever much money you think you need, it will probably be more. Do your homework and good luck.

• Like 2

You didn't mention that that the road to your 10 rai may not usable in the wet season, but you will no soon. If the road is not usable in the rainy season you need to consider a crop that needs little or no maintenance for a couple of months during the heaviest rains. You could consider corn, cassava, or pumpkins. Before you plant any type of crop, you should try to determine if anyone else is doing it. Some things may look good on paper (calculator), but they may just no grow there. Consider how easy your crop could be stolen since you won't live on the land.

You can make money with chickens through CP, but you will need to fork out a lot of money and build the barn to their specs (not cheap at all). Also you may not have enough land. CP has some very strict guidelines on how far you barn needs to be from other structures or any other poultry. If someone can raise chickens on the adjoining land you may have a problem. You need to meet with CP to find out more. On the plus side they will train you and everything is organized for you. Build it and they will bring all the chicks and feed. Down side is you are at their mercy for feed and stock.

Bricks would be interesting. You will need a steady supply of good clay and wood that you can control for a very long time. Miserable work in the hot season. will be smelly all the time.

You have other options depending on where exactly you are, what your goals are, and what your finances are. How ever much money you think you need, it will probably be more. Do your homework and good luck.

Do you have any contact for CP in Thailand / Trang.

Do you have any contact for CP in Thailand / Trang.

http://www.cpthailand.com/Default.aspx?tabid=62

One of the options I mentioned above would be a small fish hatchery. I have no idea what kind of profit you can get and it would depend on how close you are to a government hatchery. AIT does training on how to start and operate a fish hatchery and fish farm (go to utube and search AIT tilapia). I am sure that the start up costs would be less that growing chickens for CP (you would need a couple more small ponds and one really deep one and a well), but it would take a while to get your business going. You could start with tilapia and pla duk. I would also look into frogs as they are lower volume but higher profit. You could run aquaponics in parallel or in addition. You would probably still have room to raise mushrooms. If you set your farm up right you would be nearly self sufficient food wise. You may also be able to raise a few quail and other poultry.

This is not necessarily a recommendation, but something to look into.

• Like 2