CBR500/CB500F v. Ninja 650....

funcat

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda service has always been spot on

The two worst cases of customer service I've ever recieved anywhere in the World were at Honda in Thailand. One included attempted fraud and theft. The other included a staff member treating my bike in such a way that I was lucky to be so shocked as to freeze and quite believe what I was seeing, if it wasn't as bad as it was I wouldn't have frozen and would have went for him with the largest, heaviest tool there was to hand.

I also remember reading shocking things about the staff and management in the Chiang Mai and Udon branches.

which Honda service?

you mean Honda scooter service or Honda Bigwing?

I believe what you hear from some guys on this forum is only one sided. I never believe one sided stories. Truth always has two sides.

and also, if you guys think 500 series is slow, you have a wrong assumption as well. it is pretty quick, passing cars is easy at normal speeds up to 170 kph and no problems on long tour and keeping up with bigger bikes as well especially if the roads are twisty. 500 series is a lot comfy too.

but you have to know the bikes power band and twist accordingly not like kawa er6f on a highway which offers more flexibility of course in terms of engine. I prefer kawa er6f on the highway and touring. But other than that, 500 series are a much more better fit and it is much more easier to drive plus it is smoother.

• Like 2

Get the Kawa, especially since I'm 90% sure you're talking about mine!

More power, dual discs, better looks!

And yes it's a bit older and more KMs but I've been willing to pay the maintenance cost and replaced everything as suggested even if the mechanics said it could go a bit further. I hate the SE Asian mentality of "Why are you replacing that? It's not broken yet." Thats why their buses and trains keep crashing....

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by BlackArtemis
  • Like 1

you have to know the bikes power band

The one that just goes up at a 30 degree angle until it hits the limiter at around 8,500-9000rpm?

74367_527779683918941_523655775_n.jpg

you dont know what is a power band, do you?

it is from 7000 rpm where the torque peaks to 8500 rpm where the hp peaks.

Seems no doubt from this thread the 500 is how can we say it....a bit <deleted>..... Never mind it is really on a beginners bike I remember doing my test on a 500 cc bike 15 years ago .

on an NSR 500 or 4 stroke honda cb500 tanin?

whatever you call it, it is a good bike which is smoother and easier to ride.

check it out why many experienced riders get one next to their bmw 1000rrs or honda cbr 1000rrs.

you have to know the bikes power band

The one that just goes up at a 30 degree angle until it hits the limiter at around 8,500-9000rpm?

74367_527779683918941_523655775_n.jpg

you dont know what is a power band, do you?

it is from 7000 rpm where the torque peaks to 8500 rpm where the hp peaks.

How else would you describe the power band shown.

"goes up at a 30 degree angle until it hits the limiter at around 8,500-9000rpm" blink.png

Maybe it's your English that is letting you down?

If you plan on riding in BKK, get a 500 to get through traffic, otherwise you'll be stuck forever on your ER6.

I read this often & wonder why ?

Because the truth is on any of these bikes width is very comparable

For instance

Honda is 0.74m for cbr500, 0.77m for cbf-model & a wide 0.81m for the cbx500 model

Kawasaki Ninja 650 is 0.76m & ER650 is 0.77m

So difference between cbr & ninja is less than an inch. If that is really anything simply pulling bar end caps

would actually loose more than an inch. But I do not think it is needed

I do not think it will equate to being stuck in traffic on either Honda nor Kawasaki smile.png

30" is a pretty standard width bar on many bikes

Edited by mania

If you plan on riding in BKK, get a 500 to get through traffic, otherwise you'll be stuck forever on your ER6.

For instance

Honda is 0.74m for cbr500, 0.77m for cbf-model & a wide 0.81m for the cbx500 model

So difference between cbr & ninja is less than an inch. If that is really anything simply pulling bar end caps

I do not think it will equate to being stuck in traffic on either Honda nor Kawasaki smile.png

sure width is something for traffic Mania but light weight, a light front end and good turning radius is also important if you ask me.

Low speed ride for 500 series are great and kawas are a bit higher so feels heavier as well especially at low speeds.

Besides, it is mirrors that counts regarding width more than bar ends for me as i never fold down my mirrors.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Tough to compare a used bike with a new - depends on the condition of the used one.

Used bikes (with Green Book) in Thailand tend to be expensive compared to UK/US markets so it makes new bikes more attractive.

I'd put a new CB500 above a used Ninja 650 because of the guarantee and you can run it in properly and look after it from new.

If you think the 500 will be lacking in power - then consider a new CB650 - although I'm not sure the extra power is really useable in Thailand?

For me the CB500X or Versys is better for use in Thailand than a sportsbike - but that's just my view.

Tough to compare a used bike with a new - depends on the condition of the used one.

Agreed but OP is comparing two used bikes

One is older than the other 3 vs 1 years but comparison is relative

since one cost 81k more than the other when new.

Also of course OP will need to look closely

A 1 year bike can be thrashed & have high mileage & a 3 year still quite new

Of course the reverse is true also

So at the end of the day the OP needs to look closely

& most importantly know what he wants from a bike.

As these two are quite a bit different from each other.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Seems no doubt from this thread the 500 is how can we say it....a bit <deleted>..... Never mind it is really on a beginners bike I remember doing my test on a 500 cc bike 15 years ago .

check it out why many experienced riders get one next to their bmw 1000rrs or honda cbr 1000rrs.

suzuki gs 500 e or something like that,anyway it wasn't something you would really buy or keep for any length of time,I find it hard to believe any superbike riders would have a 500cc 48 bhp twin alongside their 170 bhp bikes.yeah maybe for Thailand where 600cc superbikes are pretty rare these 500 seems great ,but out of the last 12 months I have spent 8 of them in the uk riding everyday and you do not see any of these cbr 250 or 500 on the road. The youngsters have the Yamaha r125 and then move onto restricted super sports.sum up good for Thailand bike crap for rest of the world.

Not knocking the bike it is what it is just outside Thailand you have other option which mean you can completely bypass this bike and from what I see on uk roads people are doing exactly that.

Edited by taninthai

For instance

sure width is something for traffic Mania but light weight, a light front end and good turning radius is also important if you ask me.

Low speed ride for 500 series are great and kawas are a bit higher so feels heavier as well especially at low speeds.

Besides, it is mirrors that counts regarding width more than bar ends for me as i never fold down my mirrors.

Interesting points - I've tried several bikes in Bangkok trying to find the ideal set of compromises for city use - and it's true that quoted width is similar for most bikes as it's the bars and mirrors that dictate the max width. But in the close combat of BKK traffic it's total mass and width low down that counts.

You can wiggle bars past car door mirrors - but an in-line 4 motor or wide-spaced low down foot-pegs (as on a cruiser) will slow you down - especially when you are squeezing through stationary traffic between the raised curbs and cars.

I found the higher bars of the Versys and CB500X to be an advantage as it (generally) puts the bike's bars above car mirrors (although they can be at Truck height) and the higher seating position is a big advantage as you can see over cars. But the extra weight of the Versys can be a problem when "manhandling" through bad traffic.

Auto scooters are obviously easier in traffic - but you sit low and brakes/handling are compromised and they are no fun when you get out of the city.

But I found the CRF250 and D-Tracker to be unbeatable in traffic - light, slim, high and enough punch to get you out in front at the lights.

I'm not really sure we can use the extra power that a 500 or 650 gives us over a 250 - but the extra weight is certainly an issue in BKK.

suzuki gs 500 e or something like that,anyway it wasn't something you would really buy or keep for any length of time,I find it hard to believe any superbike riders would have a 500cc 48 bhp twin alongside their 170 bhp bikes.yeah maybe for Thailand where 600cc superbikes are pretty rare these 500 seems great ,but out of the last 12 months I have spent 8 of them in the uk riding everyday and you do not see any of these cbr 250 or 500 on the road. The youngsters have the Yamaha r125 and then move onto restricted super sports.sum up good for Thailand bike crap for rest of the world.

Not knocking the bike it is what it is just outside Thailand you have other option which mean you can completely bypass this bike and from what I see on uk roads people are doing exactly that.

tanin, if they sell cbr600rr here for 12.000 USD which is around 370 k thb, of course you and me and many others here dont go buy a 500 series or kawa er. But this is what it is here! We dont have many options.

But, 500 series is one of the good selling bikes in USA and Europe for new riders, returnees and basically for experienced riders who want a hassle free easy to ride cheap bike.

I think we have to feel lucky to have 500 series and kawa er series made in Thailand! Before that only choices were carbed Honda cbr150, Tiger Boxer 200, Honda Sonic, Suzuki Raider, i never forgot those days!

Both are good bikes if you ask me but i prefer 500 series just bc it is easier to ride and it is smoother. Still, one might like kawa er series as it has a more flexible and powerful engine etc and i respect everyone.

Just trying to express my opinions why someone who likes high speeds like me prefers a less powerful bike than a more powerful one to provide more insight to the OP.

You are just simply to hooked on honda and having a new bike all the time LL.The options are there in Thailand you just have to go the 2 nd hand route or splash out some real hard cash.

Of coarse the 500 is easy and smooth to ride that's what makes it a good entry level begginer bike.

I'm in the uk and am happy to buy 2nd hand I have no interest in laying out 8 or 10,000 gbp just so I can have the latest model bike.

You are just simply to hooked on honda and having a new bike all the time LL.The options are there in Thailand you just have to go the 2 nd hand route or splash out some real hard cash.

Of coarse the 500 is easy and smooth to ride that's what makes it a good entry level begginer bike.

I'm in the uk and am happy to buy 2nd hand I have no interest in laying out 8 or 10,000 gbp just so I can have the latest model bike.

which second hand one tanin? you mean the crashed, abused or stolen ones shipped to Thailand from other countries?

With no green book or worse a dodgy one? so real hard earned cash going nowhere?

and anyway, it fells bad to pay a bike double of its price.

of course, i rode many Honda bikes and i trust Honda but if Kawasaki or Yamaha sells a supersport inline four here for 360 k thb, i just go buy! But where?

Plus, a smooth and easy to ride bike is not only for beginners, you are prejudiced. Someone might say a 600 cc supersport also a beginner bike elsewhere. I am saying it twice here now. Experienced riders also prefer such a cheap bike which is easy to ride and maintain.

Thanks guys...I see a lot of good posts here and I'm still contemplating...versatility v. power...newer v. older...traffic v. highway etc....a lot of things to consider.

I'm gonna go out tomorrow to see and maybe test ride some of them.....so,hope I'll know little more....or be more confused biggrin.png

Thanks guys...I see a lot of good posts here and I'm still contemplating...versatility v. power...newer v. older...traffic v. highway etc....a lot of things to consider.

I'm gonna go out tomorrow to see and maybe test ride some of them.....so,hope I'll know little more....or be more confused biggrin.png

buy both so no confusionbiggrin.png

• Like 1

For instance

Ok, The CB500's are really good a low speed, under 140KM/h.

It is really good for traffic, I've been doing lots of crazy traffic lately at peak rush-hour and no scooter can keep up with me. LOL.

It handles superbly well on the city and very comfortable.

but.... once you get out of the city and have your partner on the back, oh damn, it gets boring. I can reach 180KM but it's unstable as hell with that horrible suspension. and not to mention weak braking power under high speed.

overall it's a nice package for learners,.. like me. but from a 250cc, upgrade to this 470cc bike will be a waste of money. at least 650cc is a more wise investment.,

I'm thinking to upgrade to the Versys, or the CB800 if it ever comes to Thailand, maybe the Z800 if it comes with ABS next year.

The CB500 is also really good on fuel, I managed to put 32KM/L on my trip to Erawan cruising at 120 Km/h. On the city around 22-26Km/l

I'm planing to change the rear sprocket to a 39 teeth one to get some more torque.

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 1

I think you stay Thailand to long LL experienced riders buying a 500 twin .....lol

I told you that you do not see these bikes on the road in the uk and you still go on to say they are great sellers in America and Europe, you really need to be abit more open minded to other brands.have you seen the size of the roads in good old America the land that loves Harley's ,I don't think they sell well over there either .

As said good bike for Thailand when it came out but that's about it,open your eyes LL the biking world does not revolve around honda and Thailand.

The cb650 is a different story that's will be a world wide success.

I'm done said enough on this subject

I said what I need to say too. You dont want to understand, it s up to you but please open your eyes. You never own one or most probably rode one.

And this is a bike forum in Thailand so of course i don't revolve around second hand bikes in UK but bikes available in Thailand most of the time.

you sound like you travel all over UK and USA. Man maybe no 500 series riders in your area?laugh.png

It easy to talk from a bike paradise like UK man! Happy rides there.

Looking at the engine graph , 43BHP and 29 torque isnt a lot (and NO , it doesnt have a "power-band" ,that would be shown as peak)but the torque curve is good and OK for around BKK. My concern is the lack of quality (both build and machine)in Hondas over the last few years , and the terrible (dangerous) service from Honda. The cb500 range is priced from 205,000 Baht to 215,000 Baht and that is rather expensive for a run-around. Most everyone agrees the Kawasaki is by far the better bike , better built and not bland or boring , BUT - heres a curve ball - have a look at the brand new Benelli BN 302.It has 37 BHP and 27 NM of torque and uses a Yamaha designed liquid cooled engine (300cc twin - half of the R6 600cc four used in the Benelli BN 600 bikes. As with most Italian bikes it looks amazing. With a Japanese engine , and suspension , brakes and wheels looking like they came from some famous suppliers , and priced at just 139,000 Baht -NEW - its a "no-brainer" over the Honda. Theres plenty of choice out there now , so be careful not to blindly follow the sheep by buying a Honda.

• Like 1

I think you stay Thailand to long LL experienced riders buying a 500 twin .....lol

I told you that you do not see these bikes on the road in the uk and you still go on to say they are great sellers in America and Europe, you really need to be abit more open minded to other brands.have you seen the size of the roads in good old America the land that loves Harley's ,I don't think they sell well over there either .

As said good bike for Thailand when it came out but that's about it,open your eyes LL the biking world does not revolve around honda and Thailand.

I said what I need to say too. You dont want to understand, it s up to you but please open your eyes. You never own one or most probably rode one.

And this is a bike forum in Thailand so of course i don't revolve around second hand bikes in UK but bikes available in Thailand most of the time.

you sound like you travel all over UK and USA. Man maybe no 500 series riders in your area?laugh.png

It easy to talk from a bike paradise like UK man! Happy rides there.

uk bike paradis you are joking it's been raining for 3days left the bike at home today.

You said it yourself earlier in this thread if you had decent price super bike in Thailand you would not be buying 500cc honda and that's exactly what's happening around the rest of the world,I don't just ride round my area ll I ride from north to South London everyday and never see cbr 250/500 .

Sorry to say that,but this topic is not about "biking world"...it is about Thailand and Honda is a big part of it...also,it is not about bikes for pro-racers.

Upgrading from CBR250,means not to jump to the 'super bike' category....but 650cc can be still considered... wink.png CB650F would be nice,but twice my budget... sad.png

• Like 1

Looking at the engine graph , 43BHP and 29 torque isnt a lot (and NO , it doesnt have a "power-band" ,that would be shown as peak)but the torque curve is good and OK for around BKK. My concern is the lack of quality (both build and machine)in Hondas over the last few years , and the terrible (dangerous) service from Honda. The cb500 range is priced from 205,000 Baht to 215,000 Baht and that is rather expensive for a run-around. Most everyone agrees the Kawasaki is by far the better bike , better built and not bland or boring , BUT - heres a curve ball - have a look at the brand new Benelli BN 302.It has 37 BHP and 27 NM of torque and uses a Yamaha designed liquid cooled engine (300cc twin - half of the R6 600cc four used in the Benelli BN 600 bikes. As with most Italian bikes it looks amazing. With a Japanese engine , and suspension , brakes and wheels looking like they came from some famous suppliers , and priced at just 139,000 Baht -NEW - its a "no-brainer" over the Honda. Theres plenty of choice out there now , so be careful not to blindly follow the sheep by buying a Honda.

Not accurate IMO.

1. Benelli are Chinese, not Italian or Japanese. They bought the somewhat tainted Italian name and old Jap technology to try and get some credibility.

2. You are misquoting HP figures, one at the crank and one at the wheel. The Honda will be much more powerful, not 37 HP vs 43 HP as you imply.

3. I'm no Honda fan and I agree they are sliding with some recent offerings like the CBR250, but they are still vastly superior to Benelli in terms of quality and support.

4. Looks are subjective, but to say the BN302 looks amazing is a stretch. I've seen a few close up and they remind me of the mountain bikes at Big C.

I've got 2 Thai built Jap bikes and they have been pretty good overall (clearly no match for real Japanese made bikes), but Benelli?