CBR500/CB500F v. Ninja 650....

funcat

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're thinking of buying one or the other, rent one out for a day first. Start with the bigger one, and see of you miss the power and build quality on the second day when you have the smaller, weaker Honda.

Edited by thamteak
  • Like 2

Flip side of that is the Kawi has had 3x as much time to be abused and not serviced properly....

Plus in respect to build quality we haven't had any reports of the Honda engine throwing a rod through the engine block yet either.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Like previously posted renting both would be the best way

to see which "you" like

For a more sporty ride

For me the 650 hands down if it was in good shape & not too high mileage

30 lbs more but 25hp more. That equates to a 50% power to weight advantage over the Honda 500!

also has 47 lbs of torque compared to the Honda's 37lbs so roughly 25% more

Ride-ability for sport riding...The Ninja has An engine that likes to rev due to its 83x60 bore stroke

Compared to the Honda's 67x66 square engine longer stroke thinking

I do not really care for the aesthetics of either much but if I had to choose

the Ninja again would be the choice on looks but that is subjective

But in the end it is what do you like in a bikes characteristics?

What you will mainly use the bike for etc.

Good Luck bike shopping is always fun

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Thanks...and more please....I think,that the dam_n green color on the Ninja is what throws me off,but the rest looks good wink.png

The rest is really down to you

One thing about Thailand if it is just the color you dont like that is a pretty easy fix

Wrap or paint

Of course if you change the dominant color you must also go to the DMV

& tell them so they can change it in the green book

Or shop more & find the color you want. Both bikes come up daily for sale

as both were popular

Best advice is really go ride them both as both are easily rented

See which fits "your" needs

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Thanks...and more please...

Kawa - lots more power, lots more torque, also has more character. Also more engine vibes and heat. And weight.

Honda - less power, less torque, less character. A square low revving engine. Cheaper to run, more user friendly to a noob.

For me, I would only buy off a Western owner with the service book etc all done, so with that - the 3 yr old Kawa. I'd also trust Kawa Big Bike more than Honda Big Wing. smile.png

Edited by thamteak
  • Like 1

Thanks...and more please....I think,that the dam_n green color on the Ninja is what throws me off,but the rest looks good wink.png

The rest is really down to you

One thing about Thailand if it is just the color you dont like that is a pretty easy fix

Wrap or paint

Of course if you change the dominant color you must also go to the DMV

& tell them so they can change it in the green book

Or shop more & find the color you want. Both bikes come up daily for sale

as both were popular

Best advice is really go ride them both as both are easily rented

See which fits "your" needs

Yes,I agree about color,I wasn't very serious about it...but coming from riding a CBR 250 (softly),I want something with more guts ...and still trying to make a best choice,since the price is about double than my bike,it's kind of a big decision...I've had a few Hondas before,but never a single Kawasaki...that's why I'm asking the pros of their opinion...wink.png

Edited by funcat

The poor quality of the Hondas Chinese re-cycled parts (many Honda parts are made in China) and its below average build makes it difficult to compare this bike with anything other than the "pure" Chinese bikes that cost less then halfthe price. Honda is/has slid down a steep slope RE quality and service - has been for years.

• Like 1

Both are really good value here bought used, as both have shockingly bad resale value now. smile.png

You will also outgrow the small, square Honda quicker. smile.png

..or,do you mean 'quacker'.. biggrin.png

I'll see,if I can rent the equivalent of those bikes,but still,with my knowledge about motorbikes, I may be just fooled by the speed,looks,or whatever...to justify the right bike will not come easy without experience... ;)

^ Well then consider this:

You will out 'experience' the weak, boring Honda much quicker, and want for an upgrade much sooner. smile.png

I'll test the Ninja first...I know,this is a good recipe...for going for the best thumbsup.gif

Edited by funcat

I have a cb500, I can tell you that you will get bored really soon if you come from a cbr250. In a few months...

Save your money and get the ninja650 or cbr650.

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 1

I can't speak for the Honda but have a Ninja 650, a bright orange/red metallic colour, and have been delighted with both the bike and Kawasaki servicing. I also upgraded from a CBR 250, which I found a most disappointing bike. My advice is always to go with the most power you can afford. I've "met " a few of these CBR 500 on the road and the performance difference is quite noticeable. S

get a versys ,ive had two ninjas and an er6n but the versys is in a different league for a little bit more money

Haha....that's what good about bikes...there is always an upgrade coming...for a bit more money biggrin.png

Edited by funcat

Im sure the CB 500 is ok for pottering around town but if you want some enjoyment in your life (and i dont mean doing 300 KPH )there are far better built bikes now available , and for less money. Gone are the days the easy choice was Honda.There is now such a good choice out there - for those that dont have their heads in the sand - i really cant see why anyone would buy a Honda !. Their build quality is suspect , dealer service appalling , and re-sale values take a big hit - something that is often overlooked. Honda has recently knocked 20% off some of its models . Can you imagine having just bought one at full price !.After just a few months your Honda has gone down 40%!.Very risky buying one with such wild pricing.Smacks of desperation sadly.

I'd go for the Ninja. I probably prefer the looks of the Honda but 470cc isn't really a huge step up from what you're riding now and owners I've spoken to have said it feels a bit underpowered once you get out of the city. I think you'll get bored of it within 6 months and end up buying something bigger again (most likely a Ninja 650) so may as well save yourself the hassle and get it to start with.

Some really good deals on second hand 650's now. I'd go for one with under 20,000 kms and service history, ideally from someone you know.

• Like 2

I enjoy commuting quicker on my CB500F than the 650 Kawas I see on the roads of Chiang Mai. But for touring, it has to be the CB650. Honda service has always been spot on, plus I met the chief designer (not sure the faceless Kawas had an actual designer). I could never bring myself to buy a Kawasaki; it'd be like buying a Chevy *shudder*

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Honda service has always been spot on

The two worst cases of customer service I've ever recieved anywhere in the World were at Honda in Thailand. One included attempted fraud and theft. The other included a staff member treating my bike in such a way that I was lucky to be so shocked as to freeze and quite believe what I was seeing, if it wasn't as bad as it was I wouldn't have frozen and would have went for him with the largest, heaviest tool there was to hand.

I also remember reading shocking things about the staff and management in the Chiang Mai and Udon branches.

Edited by thamteak