CBR500/CB500F v. Ninja 650....

funcat

jezzz, a really new Versys under 10000KM for 180K THB. shit, I feel really stupid now paying more for the new CB500F.

There is a story behind this and I'm not clear what it is....one have to stay focused,if the deal is to good.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I went out to look at some bikes and,unfortunately I've missed out on 'BlackArtemis' Ninja 650 by an hour,or two.He's sold it to someone else,so this can make my choice a little easier...the other 2 bikes where CBR500,very nice and almost new,as well as CB500F,also under 1 year old.There is another Ninja 650 that I've contacted,but he cancel the appointment,so no go with this one.

I think now,today,that maybe one of those Honda's may suit me well,they both look great,run smoothly and may be just good for some time and,if it will start to be boring,than I can always upgrade...and by that time,there may be something new and more interesting on the horizon...

I'll give it a few more days smile.png

• Like 1

I am a Honda fan...even chose the CB500X over the ER-6 series...but agree. If you are comfortable buying a used bike* (the 3 year old ER-6 is out of warranty and the CBR500 isn't..right?) and can get them for the same price, the ER-6 is better for your intended uses.

*I personally wouldn't purchase a used bike in LOS; the peace of mind of having a warranty outweighs the possible savings from buying pre-owned. Even if I am part of the group that helps a manufacturer iron out a new model (which it seems the '13 model CB500 buyers did...ER-6 is a well evolved bike that Kawasaki knows what they are building). The fact that I am not the best rider in the world meaning I can't ride better than the 500, it didn't make sense to me to spend that much more for a bunch of bike I couldn't use.

Today I went out to look at some bikes and,unfortunately I've missed out on 'BlackArtemis' Ninja 650 by an hour,or two.He's sold it to someone else,so this can make my choice a little easier...the other 2 bikes where CBR500,very nice and almost new,as well as CB500F,also under 1 year old.There is another Ninja 650 that I've contacted,but he cancel the appointment,so no go with this one.

I think now,today,that maybe one of those Honda's may suit me well,they both look great,run smoothly and may be just good for some time and,if it will start to be boring,than I can always upgrade...and by that time,there may be something new and more interesting on the horizon...

I'll give it a few more days smile.png

Really renting both is money well spent

Pekky also has the Hondas for cheap rental

I think Mr Mechanic has new Kawasaki 650's

You may even be able to do a deal of 4 hours each etc.

Does not matter what someone is selling or has sold already as both these bikes

come up daily for sale at great prices as folks scamper to buy the latest thing

Take your time....It is a buyers market

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

jezzz, a really new Versys under 10000KM for 180K THB. shit, I feel really stupid now paying more for the new CB500F.

that bike may have some "issues" regarding finance or maybe a big crash and fixed on the cheap

in a somtam shop

120k depreciation on a few months old versys is highly suspect

if legit he could have sold it for 250k easily

my friend sold one only datys ago a year older than that one with twice as many km on it for 240k

180k seems wrong for lack of a better word for a bike like that if its in perfect condition like it said

that bike may have some "issues" regarding finance or maybe a big crash and fixed on the cheap

in a somtam shop

my friend sold one only datys ago a year older than that one with twice as many km on it for 240k

180k seems wrong for lack of a better word for a bike like that if its in perfect condition like it said

"if legit he could have sold it for 250k easily"

In Yala? Maybe, maybe not. I would have a look at it first before judging.

You should always look twice when buying a used bike (in LOS even when buying new!), regardless of the price. Lots of ***holes out there. And also some plain stupid smile.png

I dont know if the Versys seller is Thai?

But I come across a lot of ad's these days

that say a price but when digging deeper it is what they

want back + oh it has 36 more payments at 4468 a month smile.png

hahah Then there are the ads that are half a page long listing

every baht the guy ever spent on it & what is yet to be paid

but never a total.

So they want you to figure it all out to come up with a price smile.png

I always laugh a bit & wonder

• Like 1

in a somtam shop

You should always look twice when buying a used bike (in LOS even when buying new!), regardless of the price. Lots of ***holes out there. And also some plain stupid smile.png

Some very spoilt little rich kids as well...

They just get rid of their toys when the new one is bought for them.

Well worth a phone call at least :)

Now,just a quick question about preference...CBR500 v. CB500F(and there is also the cruiser CB500X)...maybe to take the 'heat' of the Honda v. Kawasaki issue tongue.png

"X" all the way....

The "R" is more sporty due to the rider's position; but for pure comfort for those longish cruises you can't go wrong with the upright ergos and plush suspension offered by the "X".

They all have the same engine and I believe the same gearing, so other than the fairing protection offered by the "R" and "X" and the more laid back ergos offered by the "X", there's little reason other than your choice of personal style to choose one over the other.

BTW, on the "X", don't think that raising the windscreen will reduce buffeting...it's widely reported that it actually makes it worst for those who are around 170-180 cm.

Bargain ,and a superb bike , if truthful advert - just take an experienced mechanic friend who knows exactly what to look for. Is it too much trouble to go to Yala ?.Maybe bargain - maybe wasted trip.

...so,what do you think?...sound almost like those Nigerians tongue.png:D

As soon as he wants you to transfer some money first you will know laugh.png

Seriously: How can we comment this answer without knowing what you have written to him first?

...so,what do you think?...sound almost like those Nigerians tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Seriously: How can we comment this answer without knowing what you have written to him first?

Ohh..com'on...just the usual inquire ..."Is the bike still for sale?"

...so,what do you think?...sound almost like those Nigerians tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Ohh..com'on...just the usual inquire ..."Is the bike still for sale?"

I mailed him too but asked specifically if the bike was still on finance ?

Was it in his name ?

Asked for details on service history etc

No reply yet :)

Now,just a quick question about preference...CBR500 v. CB500F(and there is also the cruiser CB500X)...maybe to take the 'heat' of the Honda v. Kawasaki issue tongue.png

i say cb500x. it is the best of the 500 series in terms of flexibility and comfort. Plus it handles nearly as good as a cbr500r plus you can go for mild trails with it.

its suspension is also more suitable for us foreigners.

dont go for cb500f. no wind/weather protection.

so cb500x or cbr500r is the best choice. cbr500r is also a lot comfy and it does not have a supersport ergonomics. It is also upright if you want.

One thing makes these bikes super fun at corners up there is light front end which makes the turn ins almost telepathic. Plus with its light wait, easy transitions.

• Like 1

i say cb500x. it is the best of the 500 series in terms of flexibility and comfort. Plus it handles nearly as good as a cbr500r plus you can go for mild trails with it.

so cb500x or cbr500r is the best choice. cbr500r is also a lot comfy and it does not have a supersport ergonomics. It is also upright if you want.

One thing makes these bikes super fun at corners up there is light front end which makes the turn ins almost telepathic. Plus with its light wait, easy transitions.

I think the 500F is the best. I like the fact it's a naked bike and has no screen. I found the seat on the X very uncomfortable as it pushed me too far forward.

• Like 1

I think the 500F is the best. I like the fact it's a naked bike and has no screen. I found the seat on the X very uncomfortable as it pushed me too far forward.

...a bit controversial posts,don't you think? ....so,this is exactly what I've asked for...maybe that's why they make them this way...

I've only tried the CBR for now...and she feels quite good,must say smile.png

...a bit controversial posts,don't you think? ....so,this is exactly what I've asked for...maybe that's why they make them this way...

I've only tried the CBR for now...and she feels quite good,must say smile.png

Drape a teste down each trouser leg and no worries about how close you sit to the tank.

in a somtam shop

Some very spoilt little rich kids as well...

They just get rid of their toys when the new one is bought for them.

Well worth a phone call at least smile.png

OK...I

I've emailed the guy and this is his respond.....kind of fuzzy,hmmm...

"...

Hi

Thanks you very much for your reply, i can see your willingness in this bike , I want you to know that i'm satisfied with your interest in buying my bike and i will advise you to come and meet my wife in yala in person to drive the bike

i want to prove to you that in this world there are still millions of honest and trustworthy people living on planet earth which i am one of them,At this point in time

i send you the front page of the green book, once am confirm you really want the bike i will send you inside of the green book.

I don't have the time to ride my bikes, as no dents/scratches in the paint. runs and rides perfect

It has never been laid down. In great condition for the year and miles. The only reason we are selling the bike is because i have 3 bike and my son is graduating college and have decided to buy him a new car

Best regard

Smith..."

...so,what do you think?...sound almost like those Nigerians tongue.png:D

Smith sadly lacking an Australian or English education in written communication. rolleyes.gif

Over 100 answers so far, impressive manbiggrin.png .

I haven't tried any of the bikes mentioned so I can't give recommendations really.

Rent one of each if possible before making up your mind.

I heard many complain that upgrading from a cbr250 to a cbr500 will quickly be a bit lame experience for many.

I heard from many that the Versus is a very good touring bike and I know a few that owns them.

It all depends what you are gonna use it for I guess and your riding style.

• Like 1

Over 100 answers so far, impressive manbiggrin.png .

I haven't tried any of the bikes mentioned so I can't give recommendations really.

Rent one of each if possible before making up your mind.

I heard many complain that upgrading from a cbr250 to a cbr500 will quickly be a bit lame experience for many.

I heard from many that the Versus is a very good touring bike and I know a few that owns them.

It all depends what you are gonna use it for I guess and your riding style.

I'm doing my best,under the circumstances....I'm in the process of selling our house and moving...I tell you,it's good that it doesn't happened to often(10 years in my case)....but Versys may be still good for the future(unless a super good deal,like this one in Yalllla wink.png ),for now I'm still working on my topic bikes...

Edited by funcat

Funcat, can I ask why you are upgrading from a 250 after just 1 month?

Or did I read that post in the 250 thread wrong !

No offense, just curious.

It just happened...the guy that bought it from me,wanted it as much as I,when I was buying...and since I may be having some more cash to spend soon,so why not....500 is still better than 250cc...and 650 is better than 500cc wink.png

• Like 1

Sorry...being away for a few days,moving from our house to a new place...kind of a nightmare...and no internet(don't know why it takes so long just to switch an address?!)!!

...but I did put up a deposit on a 'new' bike,so 'll see how it works out tomorrow(hmm,already today biggrin.png )...can't wait smile.png

• Like 1

Sorry...being away for a few days,moving from our house to a new place...kind of a nightmare...and no internet(don't know why it takes so long just to switch an address?!)!!

...but I did put up a deposit on a 'new' bike,so 'll see how it works out tomorrow(hmm,already today biggrin.png )...can't wait smile.png

Don't keep us in suspense...what did you get?