England...

Totster

So.. it looks like we will face either Germany or Equador in the Second round.

Do we want to take the bull by the horns and face Germany and stick it to 'em.. or go for a possibly safer (apart from the 5-1 our history with Germany is poor) option of Equador.. I'm not discounting them as an easy option of course.

_39921652_eriksson2.jpg

totster tcwozereeng.gif

Edited by Totster

If England win group B, they will probably face:

Knockout round Ecuador, Stuttgart, June 25

Quarter-finals Portugal or Holland, Gelsenkirchen, July 1

Semi-finals Brazil, Munich, July 5

Final Argentina, Berlin, July 9

If England finish second:

Knockout round Germany, Munich, June 24

Quarter-finals Argentina, Berlin, June 30

Semi-finals Italy or France, Dortmund, July 4

Final Brazil, Berlin, July 9

It's really hard to call which is the easiest route, think I prefer the German route as this leaves Brazil until the final with difficult Quarters and Semis. On the other hand playing Ecuador should give us an easier Quarter Final, but then Brazil in the Semis, guess you have to beat them at some point though if you want to win the thing. It would be nice to beat Germany on their home turf too, which we probably won't get the chance to if we play Ecuador.

Personally, I think Germany will be an easier game than Ecuador too, so bring on Germany!

I could reply like a typical Englishman " Doesn't matter, we'll lose anyway" but even though I don't live there anymore I'm still proud to be English, and WE RULE. So I say " Doesn't matter, if we are going to win it, we have to beat 'em all anyway"

I could reply like a typical Englishman " Doesn't matter, we'll lose anyway" but even though I don't live there anymore I'm still proud to be English, and WE RULE. So I say " Doesn't matter, if we are going to win it, we have to beat 'em all anyway"

Nice one Lamps.. :o

totster tcwozereeng.gif

Starting right now there is nothing easy. But its a great thing that England can choose their path.

We cannot guess their strategy, but only hope they get it right, and have the balls to play some half decent football.

Redrus is right when he says they will rise to the occasion when the chips are down.

Lamps is not in the tipping compo cos he would lose all credibility with regard to football at least :D:D

If he didn't finish in the top three I mean.

Sorry :o

Edited by OneeyedJohn

Here's the last 10 games form of Germany and Ecuador head to head:

GERMANY

W GERMANY 1-0 POLAND

W GERMANY 4-2 COSTA RICA

W GERMANY 3-0 COLOMBIA

D GERMANY 2-2 JAPAN

W GERMANY 7-0 LUXEMBURG

W GERMANY 4-1 USA

L ITALY 4-1 GERMANY

D FRANCE 0-0 GERMANY

W GERMANY 1-0 CHINA

L TURKEY 2-1 GERMANY

(Mostly friendlies as automatic qualifiers)

ECUADOR

W ECUADOR 3-0 COST RICA

W ECUADOR 2-0 POLAND

D CHILE 0-0 ECUADOR

D ECUADOR 0-0 URUGUAY

W BOLIVIA 1-2 ECUADOR

L COLOMBIA 3-0 ECUADOR

W ECUADOR 2-0 ARGENTINA

D PERU 2-2 ECUADOR

W ECUADOR 5-2 PARAGUAY

W ECUADOR 1-0 BRAZIL

(All competetive as could not find friendlies on Ecuador FA's site)

And for comparison:

ENGLAND

W ENGLAND 2-0 TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

W ENGLAND 1-0 PARAGUAY

W ENGLAND 6-0 JAMAICA

W ENGLAND 3-1 HUNGARY

W ENGLAND 2-1 URUGUAY

W ENGLAND 3-2 ARGENTINA

W ENGLAND 2-1 POLAND

W ENGLAND 1-0 AUSTRIA

L N IRELAND 1-0 ENGLAND

W WALES 0-1 ENGLAND

(Both competetive and friendlies)

Incidentally, England have now won their last 8 games, equaling the best under Eriksson and is two matches short of the all-time England record of 10 successive wins which was set nearly 100 years ago. They have won all nine matches they have played with Peter Crouch on the field. (From BBC Sport)

. They have won all nine matches they have played with Peter Crouch on the field. (From BBC Sport)

And if Crouchy tried more to get the ball in the net (Jamaica) and not to be too clever and show off(T&T) Our record would be even more immpessive.

And OYJ.......................if I was in the competition, I wouldn't have any points by now anyway. :o

From the evidence so far, i think Ecuador could beat the Germans. Ecuador keep possession really well and look quite useful in attack. I wouldn't be surprised if they top their group and England end up facing Germany in the 2nd round.

A nightmare scenario as we will probably go out on penalties again.

But as Lamps rightly points out, if you are going to win it you have to be prepared to beat whoever.

I think Ecuador have flattered to deceive so far and they'll find Germany a different prospect to Costa Rica and Poland, both of whom gave them too much width.

I also think Ecuador have surprised even themselves. For them, they will consider qualifying for last 16 a victory in itself. I predict they will rest key players in the next round a luxury that Germany, as hosts, will be less inclined to do.

I'm going for a German victory.

I'm also predicting a quiet draw England v Sweden, and for England to trounce Ecuador next round.

This is easy, isnt it?

Well in a way Germany might not be too bad a thing as England do seem to lift their game for the bigger sides.

I can see how it must be hard getting 'up' for a game against Paraguay and T and T, when you really want to be scrapping with the big guns.

I would hate to go out by the odd goal in a lack lustre performance against Ecuador which seems a distinct possibility.

I guess to go out in a blaze of glory against the hosts would be a lot better as we did in Euro 2004.

Edited by ProfessorFart

As painful as the above picture still is, I've said for many years; How can a 5ft Argie midget out-jump 6ft+ Peter Shilton...???

The fact is, despite being a cheating, corned beef munching <deleted>, Shilts was too old and too slow and he STILL played for another 4 years...!!!

Still, Diego Marajuana was, and still is a 5ft Argie midget, cheating, corned beef munching <deleted>!

Did I mention that already??

england.gif