Good documentaries can make a big difference: Thai editorial

webfact

I do not find the History channel to be particularly enlightening in terms of probing analysis of causes and historical trends. It is not intended for deep thinking, more for entertainment. I for one grow tired of endless military footage. There is little attention given to narratives other than the prevailing Western view, little thought given to the role of capital in the unfolding of events, and little scrutiny given to those on the fringes of history, whose lives are just as important as those who command endless screen time.

We are often reminded that Thailand is one of the few nations to escape colonization. OK, but was that a good thing? (Rhetorical question, na)

The US was colonized by Great Britain - it was the best thing that ever happened to us: English language, rule of law, western ethics are a few of the attributes we gained from colonization (yeah, our Brit friends will say we never actually learned to speak English, Ha!) Singapore and Hong Kong are also examples of a currently successful former colony. Yes, being colonized surely does not guarantee a country will enjoy future success (Nigeria) but some countries did receive some positive institutions from that experience.

With respect to Thailand never being colonized, it (Thailand) served as a buffer state between the British and French Empires and that suited both European countries. Could Thailand have successfully resisted a determined effort to prevent colonization? We will never know that; however, we do know that it was occupied by the Japanese Empire during WWII. Also large parts of Isan has Khmer temples, indicating that areas were controlled by the Khmer Empire prior to its (Khmer Empire's) collapse. Then there were the Burmese...

A few objective documentaries on Thai history would be a good thing indeed smile.png

Many, if not most, thoughtful people would say that "objective" is a fraught term, particularly when applied to historical narratives.

And excuse my reaction, but I am sick of apologias for colonialism. Before you endorse it as a wholesome civilizing influence, you may wish to consider the historical experience of people in Vietnam, China, Cambodia, and Laos, to give a few examples from the neighborhood.

If it's really as wonderful as you say, perhaps the US and UK should submit to being colonized by India, Russia, Brazil, or China. Surely the Brits could learn familial and fiscal responsibility from the Chinese, the US could benefit from Indian culture and intellectual tradition, and they both could learn a bit of artistic expression from Brazil and Russia (think Dostoevsky and Tolstoy). Heigh-ho!

• Like 1