Suthep freed on bail for charges relating to 2010 killings

webfact

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Mr Suthep is accused together with Abhisit Vejjajiva, then prime minister, in his capacity as deputy prime minister tasked with handling protesters."

I thought that Abhisit/Suthep were charged as private persons, not in their official capacity of PM/Dept. PM. ?

600,000 baht is petty cash to Suthep. It's amazing how low the bail is for the 'hi-so' Thais no matter how serious the charge is. Whenever a Farang has to post bail it's several million..coffee1.gif

Please give me a link to a farang posting several million Baht for bail. Put your money where your mouth is.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=laugh.png> alt=laugh.png> alt=laugh.png> alt=laugh.png>

Hes still got a whistle round his neck. What a moron

Your'e always supposed to wear a Whistle for court

Well I guess court for him is work...... and you know the old ditty "whistle while you _____????

• Like 1

"Mr Suthep is accused together with Abhisit Vejjajiva, then prime minister, in his capacity as deputy prime minister tasked with handling protesters."

I thought that Abhisit/Suthep were charged as private persons, not in their official capacity of PM/Dept. PM. ?

That was what Tharit tried to do, because setting a precedent of charging a PM for deaths that occurred either as a direct or indirect result of his orders could very well rebound upon other ex-PMs. If this article is correct, it looks as though the decoupling of the man from the office was not successful!

looks a tired bunny!!. No excuses, if he flout's the law he should at least have the stage to answer for it. And shocking really a politician who was supossedly fighting for the greater good, theres no excuse for missing court days, I' m no legal expert but isnt it about time Thaksin was made 'visibly'accountably for his part.in all of this.

He wasn't a politician - he had quit being so when he took up the reigns of the PDRC. I think he should have petitioned the court to postpone his appearance - or allow a second (his lawyer) to accept the charges on his behalf - he could have sighted reasons of severe likelihood of endangerment to self if he had arrived during the protests. If YL could keep getting 15 days to go shopping, then Suthep could have to avoid the risk of harm/arrest on arrival. Baring in mind he had already shown good by going earlier to accept charges along with Abhisit wrt 2010 murder charges.

I am sure as those canaries being held right now sing away, that Thaksin's charge sheet will grow. As there's no chance he will come back, it makes little difference - unless they go for extradition I guess (and get it).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I believe the General is not suffering fools gladly, and he's doing exactly as he said he would do, and all the indications so far is he's being impartial, and all those involved in the past 7 months might just find themselves all being found guilty of their "alleged crimes" it's a smart move on the General part, by showing no favouritism, it's giving him more and more acceptance from the people, and also the International community.

He would be slaughtered (figuratively) if he simply handed everything over to Suthep, with a very possibility that it would only cause everything to escalate again and spiral out of control, he's doing a great job to be honest, he's actually unifying the country, and lets face it, the country would be a better place without these clowns on both sides throwing their weight around, and posturing and "stirring emotions" on both sides..

Great job sir, keep the momentum up, and show the Thai people, you're treating everyone the same, and not letting old friendships and sentiment rule your head. wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

I'd say he's got a lot of convincing to do for some to think he's impartial , however I hope you are right and he does choose the middle road

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Beautifully written ! A step up from your usual tripe. biggrin.png

Why thankyou.Speaking of tripe have you seen the state of your website? laugh.png

I often pity farrangs who prop up their Mrs failing businesses with a pension but because you were naughty in your case Ill make an exception thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I think .................................................... (censored) ................................................................ because .................................. (censored) ........................... so .............................. (censored) ......................................... In reality ...................................... (censored) ............................................. and therefore .............................. (censored) ........................................

Thank you.

600,000 baht is petty cash to Suthep. It's amazing how low the bail is for the 'hi-so' Thais no matter how serious the charge is. Whenever a Farang has to post bail it's several million..coffee1.gif

There are probably legal maximums and guidelines for bail. A foreigner is a greater flight risk, and often impossible to extradite if they go to their home country - hence the greater bail amount. A Thais passport can be cancelled and their assets frozen, and family/friends used for relocating a run away. Common sense really.

alt=laugh.png> alt=laugh.png> alt=laugh.png> alt=laugh.png>

Your'e always supposed to wear a Whistle for court

555 - and a flute too - only the English will get that :)

So Thaksin has lost again.

He first thought they would cave in when he arranged for the murder charges to be brought against them but they had more character than he could imagine.

His problem there was that he judged them by his own standard for he knew if it had been him would have collapsed or run away.

Them he tried to get them included in his amnesty bill so they wouldn't have a chance to defend themselves in court and bring out all the evidence against him and his red leaders.

And the coup he worked so hard to arrange with the deaths and injuries his armed men caused. His insistence that Yingluck and the sad remains of his government refuse to resign to force the armys hand , that he thought would work in his favor has resulted in the rounding up of his paid goons and left Abhisit and Suthep free has come back to bite him and will bite him again and again over the next few weeks.

Now Abhisit and Suthep have plenty of time to go over the evidence in their defense to be sure they have every speech from the red stage, every phone in, every video and photo, all their witnesses organized, every link in the money trail back to the funder and instigator of the riots in place and in order so there can be no doubt of their innocence and no doubt where the real guilt lies.

Quite! For all the cheering from the Reds about getting them arrested and indicted for murder - they may just live to rue the day in court that this gives them. Never play with fire when your pockets are full of petrol.

So, went to court on the murder indictment, then on the insurrection charges. Bail posted on both. BUT, they they put any restrictions, i.e.: Don't leave the country, or confiscate their passports? Or is the "petty cash" (for them) fine all they get?

My belief too - be interesting to see what evidence they have of official orders to kill protestors, which would be needed for such a charge. They obviously didn't have that before otherwise they would not have been charged personally in the first place (a much harder sell).

Please give me a link to a farang posting several million Baht for bail. Put your money where your mouth is.

Possible after their Thai lawyer takes his cut for arranging bail, as for 600,000 paid by Suthep, two things come to mind:

1. is there a maximum a judge can set?
  2. Possibly could it be proportional to their "declared" wealth?

So, went to court on the murder indictment, then on the insurrection charges. Bail posted on both. BUT, they they put any restrictions, i.e.: Don't leave the country, or confiscate their passports? Or is the "petty cash" (for them) fine all they get?

The Junta has already put a ban on them not to leave the country - along with all UDD/PADC/PTP leadership. I would suggest that passports are surrendered as a matter of course with bail anyway (unless you name is Thaksin and you need to go the Olympics)

Possible after their Thai lawyer takes his cut for arranging bail, as for 600,000 paid by Suthep, two things come to mind:

1. is there a maximum a judge can set?
  2. Possibly could it be proportional to their "declared" wealth?

It is going to be based on ability to pay versus flight risk. He appeared in court to accept the charges, and though he did not turn up for court after that, he made no attempt to run - indeed, his location was pretty well known - and there were reasons given as to why he did not turn up (acceptable or not - they were not related to trying to get away). He has shown a willingness to flight the case at every juncture, including turning down a get-out-of-jail-free amnesty card. Little more he could do to assure that he is not a flight risk - add to that the Junta as banned him from leaving the country and he could not get through immigration anywhere anyway - and probably surrendered his passport too. Even if the maximum was a few million baht - he has funds to cover that, and it would be no less hindrance to him running than 600k - a bigger hindrance is the possibility of having his assets frozen if he did make a break for the hills. All sensible to me.

Suthep missed an earlier court appearance on the same charges as he was busy leading the anti-government campaign !!!

alt=w00t.gif> alt=w00t.gif> alt=w00t.gif> Too busy ??? Leading an anti- government campaign can not be an excuse. Not for 6 months ......

Amazing Thailand: it starts with the people !!

Only charged. He will not be convicted as you know there is no evidence to support the charges.

I agree with you that eh will not be convicted, but not because there is no evidence. There is ample evidence, but because the courts will be told by the RE not t convict him.

Suthep missed an earlier court appearance on the same charges as he was busy leading the anti-government campaign !!!

alt=w00t.gif> alt=w00t.gif> alt=w00t.gif> Too busy ??? Leading an anti- government campaign can not be an excuse. Not for 6 months ......

Only charged. He will not be convicted as you know there is no evidence to support the charges.

I agree with you that eh will not be convicted, but not because there is no evidence. There is ample evidence, but because the courts will be told by the RE not t convict him.

What would you charge him with? Both him and Abhisit acted within law. It wasn't their fault that some deluded and mislead red shirt supporters have taken arms against their own state. 2010 wasn't a peaceful protest, it was well organized armed uprising led by a renegade general.

But only charged from documents lodged by a crooked DSI under Tarit/Thaksin.

When the Judges see the lack of evidence, Tarit will be arrested for issuing falsified charges.

So, what you are saying is that now of these Thai people dies in the Army Crackdown??? Someone ordered the Crackdown!!! Unless you think that some 150 army soldiers took it upon themselves to open fire. If not the government at the time in control, that would be Abhisit and Suthep - then someone in the upper ranks of the Army took it upon themselves - Anupong Paochinda or Prayuth Chan-ocha (as he supported the crackdown).

But not to worry - as Thailand still can not take a single member of the PAD group to court for shutting down the airports - postponed again until December

There are probably legal maximums and guidelines for bail. A foreigner is a greater flight risk, and often impossible to extradite if they go to their home country - hence the greater bail amount. A Thais passport can be cancelled and their assets frozen, and family/friends used for relocating a run away. Common sense really.

Really? Common sense? How do you think the families of the victims feel?

A person's life in Thailand apparently has a value. This value for a life has been set by the court to be 600,000 / 98, or approximately 6,122 Baht (US$200) each.

So go tell each of the families that their deceased loved one is worth a mere pittance. Let's see how common sense is greeted then.

IMO, the court erred (again, as usual) by granting bail.

you know this for a fact.that there is ample evidence...you really really know this...prove it on here now khun....wai2.gif

Really? Common sense? How do you think the families of the victims feel?

A person's life in Thailand apparently has a value. This value for a life has been set by the court to be 600,000 / 98, or approximately 6,122 Baht (US$200) each.

So go tell each of the families that their deceased loved one is worth a mere pittance. Let's see how common sense is greeted then.

IMO, the court erred (again, as usual) by granting bail.

No relevance whatsoever what the families think. In what country is that taken into account? Just an attempt at an emotive argument - no sale!

The question was not about granting bail or not - but the amount of bail - again, no sale!

Note from teacher: Please try harder!

//Edit: Grammar + typo

Edited by wolf5370