Curfew in Phuket Lifted or Not?

Sabahkiddo in Phuket

I just ran into an ex-pat bud of mine who told me that as of tonight, Monday 26 May, the nationwide curfew has been lifted in Phuket. That would mean business as usual on Bangla and that clubs like Hollywood and Taipan etc...In Patong will operate as normal.

Can anyone verify this either way?

My girlfriend just walked by Taipan on Rat-tu-thit Road enroute to meet me at Banzaan Market and told me the go-go dancers were already at work inside at 5:30 pm. Starting work so early(in order to get home before 10 PM) is something they and their counterparts at other clubs have been doing since the curfew began.

If they're doing it again this moment tonight it would seem to indicate curfew hasn't been lifted yet. Can anyone clarify one way or the other?

• Like 1

But, on the positive side, the governor says you can go to a noodle shop and eat there until 5am and then go home. How about that?

“Noodle shops or boiled rice restaurants can stay open, as long as the staff stay at the shop after curfew,” he explained.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Governor-asks-coup-leaders-for-flexibility-in-Phuket-curfew/29540

Thanks for the replies. And to those who so cavalierly assume I was just blindly listening to gossip from a friend check out my post again.

I was trying to verify what I had been told with a discrepancy in what my girlfriend had just observed this afternoon re early to work go-go dancers at Taipan. Her observation apparently undercut the accuracy and credibility of my ex-pat's bud's statement. So obviously I was already having doubts re what he had told me.

It would seem I was engaging "my head" unlike some people who didn't engage theirs enough to really see what was being asked in terms of my post. Next time try reading things from beginning to end.

Btw I did do a search before I posted but at the time I couldn't find any up to date news to help with my question so I turned to the forum in the hopes of finding some constructive clarification. And for those who gave it thank you..

As everywhere in Thailand everything is flexible until they choose it not to be. Why bother with the risk of getting caught up in a problem because someone suddenly decides the rules should be followed.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Gen Prayuth projects as quite the no-nonsense type of leader. Whatever the underlying local "business model", if the curfew IS being relaxed somewhere/anywhere, I would say word of it had better not filter back to him... I just saw a news report ("NewsLive" I believe) that made it pretty clear the curfew was going to remain in place indefinitely.

• Like 1

The Thai army is not Uncle Enzo's Pizzeria. The General himself is not going to show up and kick you in the face because you went out at 10:01PM, especially since you are in a tourist area and probably a white foreigner. Plan accordingly, but don't worry too much about it.

the curfew is here for a reason, that is to round up dangerous elements in the society and to provide max security for the people.

Change your schedule for the time being.

Even Thais, including army personal, are lenient regarding curfew violation, don't count on it ...

Last night soi bangla / patong walking street was open after 22.00 and we returned hotel like 22.30 no problem. Some place shut music down while others kept it open. I saw a few police officers walking in bangla road but no soldier. Everyone seemed happy.

Thanks for the replies. And to those who so cavalierly assume I was just blindly listening to gossip from a friend check out my post again.

I was trying to verify what I had been told with a discrepancy in what my girlfriend had just observed this afternoon re early to work go-go dancers at Taipan. Her observation apparently undercut the accuracy and credibility of my ex-pat's bud's statement. So obviously I was already having doubts re what he had told me.

It would seem I was engaging "my head" unlike some people who didn't engage theirs enough to really see what was being asked in terms of my post. Next time try reading things from beginning to end.

Btw I did do a search before I posted but at the time I couldn't find any up to date news to help with my question so I turned to the forum in the hopes of finding some constructive clarification. And for those who gave it thank you..

Welcome to the asylum.

We are far from the political circus of Bangkok although a nationwide curfew means exactly that. They have put forward the concern about the decline in tourists because of it, but they haven't mentioned the concern for people not getting paid. As a businesses owner, I can see other problems arising. I have a few so it's doesn't affect me too much, but what about others. Some businesses are only open at night or make most revenue at night. Places such as restaurants, bars, clubs, shows etc. If these businesses have to close early or not open at all, how do they make revenue to pay staff, rent, get key money back and pay bills? This will trickle down to the staff, if the business can't pay staff, then the staff have no money to live, get children to school, buy food or clothes and pay bills. I am still paying my staff, because I can andI can use them in other areas/businesses. However, those businesses that can't, how many people do you think will have no money next month? I can understand the reasons for the curfew, but this really needs to be relaxed otherwise there is going to be a lot of desperate people out there. I wouldn't be surprised if the businesses don't seek compensation for loss of revenue.

• Like 2