Curfew practically

The Dancer

I walked to the end of my soi near Victory Monument last night around 3:30am to see if the 7/11 was open. It wasn't but to my surprise saw several taxis running. I stopped one and asked if it was ok to move about at this time. The guy said yes so I decided on an impromptu ride down to the Sukhumvit/Nana area and back.

What I saw was many taxis operating, a few nightclubs evidently open and even roadside shops. And not one army/police checkpoint did we come across. And according to the driver it's not a problem to move about all through the curfew hours.

What gives? Is it safe to travel in Bkk through the curfew? If businesses are open it would appear so.

It is primarily nightlife and night manufacturers that would have the most problem with the curfew. I think the plants can be open, but who knows how the curfew affects deliveries and pickups. Inter-province buses seem to be still running.

The 7/11s in my area of Chumphon are closed at 10pm also. That was the only thing I know that was open 24hrs. Some restaurants in the area may close 10pm-ish. But other than the beach, most places closed around that time anyway unless there was a celebration or party of some kind. The clubs/places that are open....is there a lot of action going on or is the staff minimal?

i drove past Central World at about 11pm last night and there were TONNES of cars with music playing on their car sound systems... people were eating at the side of the road.

but now you say that you went out at 3am! so obviously its not as major as it seems.

Any word about boosting curfew to 11? That seems to be a rumor going around. Official announcement would be nice. Have gf coming in from Bangkok after work on Friday night, usually gets to Pats about 10...

No, it's the same situation 10pm - 5am until there's an official announcement that changes that. Rumours are just that- rumours. Although judging by the posts above, whether the curfew really means anything now or not isn't so clear-cut... ;)

I don't know about you guys.

But I'm not going to risk being tossed in the hoosgaw, subject to a military trial, just because I decided the curfew doesn't apply to me.

It's all fun and games, until it's not. Then it's deadly serious.

• Like 1

i drove past Central World at about 11pm last night and there were TONNES of cars with music playing on their car sound systems... people were eating at the side of the road.

but now you say that you went out at 3am! so obviously its not as major as it seems.

Yep, I actually had the taxi go into the Intercontinental (about 3:45am it was) opposite Central World to check out the situation at Mixx. Lights were low but the place was teeming with taxis and evidently open. When we were down Soi 11 a little earlier it was slow but places were clearly open.

Now, the fact that we didn't encounter any checkpoints may not mean much more than luck. But that clubs, which depend on people coming in from elsewhere, are open suggests this is wink-wink-be-good-now curfew.

Anyways, I am a night person and been pretty much climbing the walls past few days. Not anymore. I am heading out.

There was a police check point in front of Suan Santhiphap, about 300 meters from Victory Monument, last night. They starting showing up around 9pm and had at least 6 officers there by 9:45pm.

There was a police check point in front of Suan Santhiphap, about 300 meters from Victory Monument, last night. They starting showing up around 9pm and had at least 6 officers there by 9:45pm.

We drove past Suan Santhiphap last night. Nothing. Actually, nobody in that area except the King Power security guys.

We drove past Suan Santhiphap last night. Nothing. Actually, nobody in that area except the King Power security guys.

The checkpoint I saw was on the Ratchawithi side of the park but no idea as to how late they were there.

The checkpoint I saw was on the Ratchawithi side of the park but no idea as to how late they were there.

Ok, I see you were on the opposite side and a lot earlier than me. We drove down Rangam at 3:30.

Btw, what I understand is that the green men give a rat's about curfew in Bkk. It's to stop the resistance from moving around under cover of dark but that's up north. But they can't appear selective so we all got dumped on.

Yep, good news the curfew's shrunk to 12-4. Not sure though what the difference from a security point of view is between 10-5 or 12-4 or even 1-2 just to show people who's boss.

Here's a report from Stickman about the show going on in the naughty places:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Bangkok-Protests-2013/Bangkok-Protests-2013-29.htm

Was anyone out late last night? I couldn't go out for my usual after-midnight beer on Sukhumvit because of a morning appointment today. But definitely will try tonight. If it's all clear I am going to officially declare this curfew a dud.

Edited by The Dancer

Greetings:

I am heading to Bkk Friday. I understand there's a curfew 12-4am but travel to/from the airport is ok. Questions:

(1) How seriously is the curfew being imposed? From earlier reports in this thread clubs were open, Is this still the case? I really would like to go out and party a bit.

(2) Any word as to how long this curfew will stay? It's been a couple of weeks already. I could change my trip dates but not easily.

Thanks in advance.