Chinese vessels attack, sink VN boat

webfact

STOP Chinese imperialism. It seems China needs another lesson from Vietnam as in 1975, when the Chinese invaded Vietnam and lost. Chinese capitalists go home and clean your dirty home. Bastards. DON'T BUY CHINESE PRODUCTS.

^^ I agree, stop buying Chinese tat and the West stop setting up factories there. China has risen largely because of this. Like the Ruskies they need to be checked a bit.

I reckon they claim all that extra water because they're a big country and have a relatively short coastline, whereas somewhere like Brunei has a disproportionate amount. In their eyes, they're losing potential resources, perhaps.

Reckon they should be careful with the Viets though... ask the Yanks, the Brits (despite covert sas operations) were savvy enough to stay out of it.

Okay so you look at this map and you see PARCEL ISLANDS below the writing South China Sea now go look at the letter P below it is an island now to the west of it about a 100 kilometers is were the Chinese oil rig is drilling .... the Chinese are out of control with there new found wealth and power and pushing people around .. the area the Chinese are claiming in the dotted red line was drawn by a Taiwanese man a long time ago I think about a 100 years ... but Chinese have it in there minds that everything belongs to them they are right up to the coast of other countries

10270332_10203189295707540_9137335295531

Edited by capt_canada42

China's maritime claim in the region

ChineseClaimToSouthChinaSeaMap0011_zps6b

Makes you wonder if they will claim Tasmania, Pago Pago, and Bermuda some time soon.

I had no,idea they had attempted to make claim to all that area.

Thanks for posting !

^^

The map is slightly wrong, or maybe out of date.

I gather that China is now trying to claim that little island (Natuna, look down at the bottom left, actually a bunch of small islands) and its territorial waters. Coincidentally, the area is full of natural gas deposits.........

They will continue to bully until they get a bloody nose; after all, they've been doing it for thousands of years, as Vietnamese history books readily attest.

rebelplatoon, on 27 May 2014 - 13:20, said:

China s true colours shining through. Picking fights with the Phillipines, Vietnam, Cambodia and even as far as Malaysia. Slowly taking over, spreading its influence, sucking this earth of its resources and destroying our habitat. Wake up people!

So what? Were you dreaming that China is better than the others, like the US liberating Kuwait (under god's name) from those so terrible Irakies who did dare to take the US oil from Kuwait. We in the West definitely have nothing to complain to China what regards sucking the resourcesand destroying our habitat...

Wake up guys! China is not better nor worse than others. They are now just stronger than before and therefore do claim their rights as all the other do who are able to do it. Apart of that the Vietnamese were not really the nice guys neither in attacking and killing chinese citzens in Vietnam....

I seem to remember citizens of the West were (and are) quite vocal, and freely so, in their opposition to their governments.

Can argue as to how much an effect this had, but still a sight better than the Chinese model.

Unless much mistaken, guess most people would rather live in a country where they don't have to think twice about what

they say, write or post (well, the West got PC, but that's another issue smile.png ).

It is true that China is now stronger than it was in the past. That does not mean that what it claim are its "rights". It just means

they can bully neighbors into shutting up. Could probably make a nice connection with that and the beginning of my post.

As per my not so extensive experience with Vietnam and Vietnamese, tend to agree they're not all, generally speaking,

"nice guys". Fail to see how that was supposed to be any justification for China's claims, though.

Peace for the developed world has had a good innings.

And is likely to continue as all the major parties have enormous vested social/political/economic capital riding on such an outcome.

This does mean however that peripheral players (eg Vietnam and Ukraine) will lose out on territorial disputes as with the Crimea in 2014 and in this example Vietnam losing control of the Paracel Islands (off which this Chinese oil rig and support craft are located) in 1974.

The 1974 incident was a full blown armed conflict scenario with over 100 casualties, at least 2 ships sunk and amongst the prisoners taken by the Chinese was a CIA officer. Notwithstanding all this the US Naval forces in the area declined the request of the then S.Vietnamese government to assist.

Aggressive foreign adventures or irredentism by China or Russia are unlikely to trigger WW3 unless they involve taking out a formally treaty-aligned country. This is where the tricky part comes in...namely the laying down of "red lines" with the perceived belief that consequences will follow if they are breached.

Crimea and the Paracels are lost to Russia and China respectively. If the tilt to Asia is genuine the US needs to lay down clear rules of engagement and sign formal treaty arrangements with the littoral states of the China Sea. Ironically the Ukraine operation has underlined the necessity for Russia to also tilt towards Asia (hence the recent gas deal with China). Things could get a little cramped....

An excellent piece re the Paracels conflict in 1974 is below...

http://thediplomat.com/2014/01/lessons-from-the-battle-of-the-paracel-islands/

Edited by folium

Who will supply weapons to Vietnam this time?

America....... I suspect we will see new friendly relations between Vietnam

and America. Would be even funnier if Vietnam allowed an American base

there. :-)

Already happening:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-07/u-s-vietnam-naval-exercises-begin-amid-se-asian-tension.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/15/us-vietnamusa-navy-idUSBREA4E06R20140515

Recent upgrades tonVietnam's baby has largely been Russian hardware. Buying US kit is still not on the agenda and the likelihood is of USN being back in Subic Bay well before it returns to Cam Ranh Bay.

I read somewhere awhile back and sorry I can't remember where that there were some negotiations between Vietnam and the US for at least the use of port facilities at Cam Ranh Bay. Perhaps similar to the agreement with the Philippine government to allow rotational units, but not a 'permanent' base. Rough seas ahead for the South China Sea.

The French to will be willing to supply weapons to Vietnam.

Not that I have inside information, but there is a large Vietnamese presence already living in France.

The French arms industry is always are looking for new markets.

Oh the irony.

Not that I have inside information, but there is a large Vietnamese presence already living in France.

Oh the irony.

Again, don't hold your breath.

Hanoi is still a technically communist government and is likely to buy from its allies. Russia is well placed as it has the hardware required and is already the main supplier. It can also offer this kit at competitive prices and associated deals with Gazprom, Rosneft and Rusatom also match Vietnam''s need for gas, oil and nuclear energy.

Russia is also undergoing a pivot to the East, speeded up by the Crimea excursion, and is supplying hardware to both China and Vietnam. Watch this space for Putin to offer his services as resolving this little spat.

Oh the irony.

Again, don't hold your breath.

Hanoi is still a technically communist government and is likely to buy from its allies. Russia is well placed as it has the hardware required and is already the main supplier. It can also offer this kit at competitive prices and associated deals with Gazprom, Rosneft and Rusatom also match Vietnam''s need for gas, oil and nuclear energy.

Russia is also undergoing a pivot to the East, speeded up by the Crimea excursion, and is supplying hardware to both China and Vietnam. Watch this space for Putin to offer his services as resolving this little spat.

The PRC is not going to be too happy with whomever aids Vietnam, and that might make some countries/firms think

twice before dipping into this mess. Would probably depend, to some extent, on existing and potential commercial

interests of suppliers with the PRC.