I want to set up my retirement!

davo2212

• 7 months later...

OP don't do it. Retire in peace and take up a hobby. Let your gf work out where she might fit in your plans. If it suits all good. If financially beyond your means show her the door as clearly she does not care about YOUR retirement. Contemplating a mortgage in retirement..... Sorry but for me that is barking mad. Good luck. Did you read Private Dancer by Stephen Leather?

Please tell how did you get to,,,

SHE DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR RETIRMENT,,???

you dont even know the girl,,,,lol

another thai girl expert,,,

Sounds like he knows Thailand!

Thai girl thinking:

"What is mine is mine and what is yours is mine!"

Goodbye savings and retirement money!

Ok a little background information. My girl is a haidresser in bangkok. took a loan many years ago and purchased a house for her parents to live in.she has previously owned shops in Thailand as have I in oz.

Oh god, now we know!

Small questions,

Who financed the previous shops?

Why did they fail?

Why do you think it will succeed this time?

Small shops and business are having a much harder time now than they did 5-10 years ago.

If she couldn't make a go of it then, almost no chance of success now.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

My advice:

Sign everything you own over to your girlfriend now.

Hope she keeps you around.

It will end up this way anyway.

Get it overwith.

If she keeps you..good for you!

If not, you will have some time left to recover.

Choke dee! ( good luck )

** don't take this wrong...it may work and you may be a happy guy,but it may not!

In some parts of Thailand, even in some tourist cities, a 2.000.000 THB home rents for 5.000THB/month.....Makes sense to buy? Thailand looks over build to me with condos, mix use townhouses and houses.....and prices are too high. Prices will go down very soon.....New businesses opens and closes every month.....Tourism will be down for a while.....

Hummmmmm....

Well I bought a nearly 2.8 mill baht house last year. I got a mortgage and in 8 months the house next door which is just finished was sold for 3,2 mill. Prices in Bangkok will go down but certainly not where I live.

Where do you live?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Khon Kaen

I haven't been a member of this forum for long, but what strikes me is that almost everybody says that making a living in Thailand is almost impossible. But yet almost every single person that makes this statement lives over there. Just out of curiosity, are you all retired millionaires?

Most of them are pensioners, very few successfull investors/millionares on this forum.

I haven't been a member of this forum for long, but what strikes me is that almost everybody says that making a living in Thailand is almost impossible. But yet almost every single person that makes this statement lives over there. Just out of curiosity, are you all retired millionaires?

Most of them are pensioners, very few successfull investors/millionares on this forum.

Speak for your self I am doing just fine thanks but I also remember one can not take any thing with you when you go :)

mate how close are you to retirement? shouldn't ya have the basics mapped out already. If you need to take out a mortgage in Thailand it might not be time yet. Don worry about your Thai GF and her businesses you wont see a cracker from any of them from most of what I have seen in my 18 years here (13 living). What's theirs is theirs and what's your is theirs, particularly in rehard to any businesses you may start for her. I personally wouldn't be counting on my GF as part of my retirement plan. Don't mean to be a smart arse but have you really thought this out? Like others have said keep most of your property and investments in OZ, send money to Thailand as you need it ( 10 000 or more at a time is transaction free through Ozforex) and if you really must buy a condo wait till you can pay for it outright yourself so it can at least be in your name. Probably not what you want to hear but box smart if you want to retire here. I know to many for whom it went pear shaped... just sayin thumbsup.gif

Speak for your self I am doing just fine thanks but I also remember one can not take any thing with you when you go smile.png

Or,

Throw away your childrens inheritance on a tart.

First is to unlearn everything you think you've learned !

DONT buy anything for atleast 2 years, RENT it, dont invest anything you not completely happy walking away from.

Take time to enjoy your surroundings , get a feel for whats right for you, explore different areas and not just where "she" feels comfortable, then and only then start considering how the female fits into the plan.

Wise words. You'll get no better advice than this.

whistling.gif Questions:

1. What is your Nationality?
  2. What is your Age?
  3. Is your wife Thai or non Thai?

These and other questions make a big difference in whether you can retire in Thailand.

In general. you can not work , operate, or own a business as a retiree on a Thai retirement visa ..... but there may be certain specific exceptions to that rule if you have the Capital to establish a business legally. Usually that requires investing a required amount of Capital at the start.

More details required to give a more exact answer.

For some cases, you might need a lawyer's advice on what you can and cannot do legally.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP don't do it. Retire in peace and take up a hobby. Let your gf work out where she might fit in your plans. If it suits all good. If financially beyond your means show her the door as clearly she does not care about YOUR retirement. Contemplating a mortgage in retirement..... Sorry but for me that is barking mad. Good luck. Did you read Private Dancer by Stephen Leather?

Why in God's name would she give a damn about

his retirement? Doesn't sound like he's retiring

anyway. Mortgage, businesses....the visa puritans

will have a field day with this one.