Registered marriage vs verbal marriage agreement

Nick507

How could you have legal rights as a married person if you are not a (legally) married person?

In the west it is called 'common-law marriage'.

Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In the West, a common law marriage often has the same benefits as an official marriage.

You can continue without being legally married, but you do not get a chance at the married guy's extension, but at the same time, there will be no property to split up if you two separate. If you don't know the woman and her family well, go very slowly for the next couple of years when it comes to buying big ticket things to go in your wife's name. It will take at least that long to know what you are getting into, and probably longer.

I hope your relationship works out to be everything you hope it will be, but approach it cautiously.

De facto's also have rights,as pointed out by the lawyer on this forum.Good advice above,if you buy vehicles,have in your name,and rent a house.

nope its not....

common law refers to a real marriage without any prenup agreements....

Huh? Then my 14 year common-law relationship and 2 kids were just a dream!! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage

mmm... it seems that not every one lives in the same west ;-)

I europe, at least all the country's i know ;-), have a difference ruling then the other west :-P

Only registered relations have the same legal benefits as marriage...

Even on wikipedia they make an distinction between so called "Common law marriages" and "real common law marriages"

My error in translating my native tongue, but in my west it is as i stated before...

Our religious marriages are only ceremonial, a legal marriage have to take place at the town hall with a proper official and then will be registered. A living together can now also be registered with the same benefits as legal marriage..

european west is a bit different then the far west ;-)

• Like 1

How could you have legal rights as a married person if you are not a (legally) married person?

nope its not....

so the "common law" of the country of residence is valid.

the op is trolling about an ceremonial marriage, which has no other value as being cultural and ceremonial... ( not legal recognized as marriage by law )

no marriage on paper ? no legal obligations or legal rights

btw, you can not donate a house to a lady if not legal married

be sure that you make any money transfer to her to be legally considered as a loan... even any monthly payments ;-)

at least you'll would have the benefit to be a winner at court, but recollecting or repossessing would be less easy cheesy.gif

Common law marriage is "not"a legal marriage at all.It is a defacto relationship which is recognised in Thailand and "both"partners have rights.As far as the house is concerned,you have rights about that as well.So basically all your post is wrong.

This is thailand,, are you keeping up with the news at the moment

what kind of a country do you think this is

at the end of the day YOU WON'T HAVE ANYTHING you won't have any rights

YES they do exist on paper but try to get anything out of it, good luck trad on egg shells

don't be scammed (too much) just a little

nope its not....

so the "common law" of the country of residence is valid.

the op is trolling about an ceremonial marriage, which has no other value as being cultural and ceremonial... ( not legal recognized as marriage by law )

no marriage on paper ? no legal obligations or legal rights

btw, you can not donate a house to a lady if not legal married

be sure that you make any money transfer to her to be legally considered as a loan... even any monthly payments ;-)

at least you'll would have the benefit to be a winner at court, but recollecting or repossessing would be less easy cheesy.gif

Common law marriage is "not"a legal marriage at all.It is a defacto relationship which is recognised in Thailand and "both"partners have rights.As far as the house is concerned,you have rights about that as well.So basically all your post is wrong.

Dear Louse,

i don't know where you got your knowledge, but rest ensured i keep learning...

as i stated earlier, i can speak for the part of the western world maybe not your world ;-)

all my post is wrong ? i doubt it and i hope you could point out where i might be wrong with the posting about my country of origin...

as posted by an other, who gave at least some link towards the description on wikipedia, there is also a lot what speaks for any of above...

only "defacto relationships" with proper, legal registration are recognized in Thailand

please read the whole article on wikipedia and many other sites before calling someone elses post entirely wrong...