Registered marriage vs verbal marriage agreement

Nick507

My GF and I want to get married. I would like to be legally married and register officially with Thai government. She only wants to

be married but not register (She says paperwork too much). She has good job and good savings in bank. She wants me to buy

wedding ring for her. If we do not get legally married, will we still have the same legal benefits?

If we break up, can she ask for money from me? If we break up, can I ask money from her?

Can I get marriage visa, if we do not officially register with Government? What legal rights do we have if we just have agreement to marry?

You can continue without being legally married, but you do not get a chance at the married guy's extension, but at the same time, there will be no property to split up if you two separate. If you don't know the woman and her family well, go very slowly for the next couple of years when it comes to buying big ticket things to go in your wife's name. It will take at least that long to know what you are getting into, and probably longer.

I hope your relationship works out to be everything you hope it will be, but approach it cautiously.

• Like 1

What's "too much paperwork"? Your pp and her id?

On second thoughts, if you're already here on a long term visa then it might not be a bad thing after all. You Will get tired of her and move on, no strings attached, no obligations.

I'd say Go For It, verbal not necessary, oral better!

Remember, don't gift anything like house or vehicles and you'll do fine! Also if not legal, no need to bother with family, immediate or not..

Sent from my LG-D505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What's "too much paperwork"? Your pp and her id?

On second thoughts, if you're already here on a long term visa then it might not be a bad thing after all. You Will get tired of her and move on, no strings attached, no obligations.

I'd say Go For It, verbal not necessary, oral better!

Remember, don't gift anything like house or vehicles and you'll do fine! Also if not legal, no need to bother with family, immediate or not..

Sent from my LG-D505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have to agree with you 100% there tongue.png

I mentioned this in another thread not so long ago.

There was a girl in our district who made a living out of village marriages to unsuspecting farangs. Her mother was the driving force behind the scam.

She would meet men online and agree to marry them. A village wedding would go ahead without it being officially registered. The new Groom would end up paying sin sot, for a lavish village wedding, build a nice house and buy a car.

It wasn't all that long after the wedding that a domestic argument would occur with the new groom kicked out of the relationship losing the lot.

I was told she managed to pull this off 3 times.

How could you have legal rights as a married person if you are not a (legally) married person?

In the west it is called 'common-law marriage'.

Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

nope its not....

common law refers to a real marriage without any prenup agreements....

so the "common law" of the country of residence is valid.

the op is trolling about an ceremonial marriage, which has no other value as being cultural and ceremonial... ( not legal recognized as marriage by law )

no marriage on paper ? no legal obligations or legal rights

btw, you can not donate a house to a lady if not legal married

be sure that you make any money transfer to her to be legally considered as a loan... even any monthly payments ;-)

at least you'll would have the benefit to be a winner at court, but recollecting or repossessing would be less easy cheesy.gif

this is a troll,,

but never mind we,ll still linch and burn at the stake the thai lady,,,

its gets better here every day

lets roast the troll ?

how would it taste "a troll au vin" ?

more like cock au vin

• Like 1

Eat, drink and be "married"

'cause her husband is a Thai

So, she wants you to buy a thousand bucks worth of gold and/or diamonds for her finger, then she'll probably want you to buy her a car which she and her hisband can drive off into the sunset.

I'd suggest, if you really want to this lady, hire a PI to check her out.