Insoles For Fallen Arches

chiangrai

I've got fallen arches.I need to buy a pair of really good insoles that support

the arches of your feet.

Does anyone know where to buy these in Thailand or online with regestered

post.

I am out in the sticks but can get to Boots and Central.

Thanks

check out these guys: http://www.footclinic.asia/

it may be a 2-step procedure, first they probably send you a foam to imprint your soles, you send back the imprinted foam

2nd step then they make the insoles based on the foam imprint

to go to people trained to make such imprints would of course be better but they may not be there in the sticks ...

Check this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665909-foot-bracesplint-anyone-need-a-pair/

Last November I came down with Plantar Fasciitis on the left foot, quite uncomfortable. My sister was coming in from Oregon for visit so I did an Amazon order for a foot brace and these two items:

Sheryl had mentioned the arch bandage and that's the item that did the trick. Only wore the foot brace for two nights, then put it back in the bag.
Check your local Tesco-Lotus, BigC, Boots, and such for the arch bandage, seems to me I've seen such on sale there.
In addition, I bought a pair of Scholls sandals with really high arches, since I don't wear shoes, these are working fine. Ran about baht 1,200 I think.
Mac

I haven't seen the insole bandages here but you can create a facsimile out of ordinary elastic bandages. Really does work well.

There are also nowadays many flip flops/sandals made with arch support. I've seen them sold at a shop in the Bumrungrad Hosp mezzanine though I get mine in the US.

I haven't seen the insole bandages here but you can create a facsimile out of ordinary elastic bandages. Really does work well.

There are also nowadays many flip flops/sandals made with arch support. I've seen them sold at a shop in the Bumrungrad Hosp mezzanine though I get mine in the US.

A friend of mine in Canada had a back complaint and went to a chiropractor.

After some examination the chiropracter suggested that his condition was caused by fallen arches.

He taped the feet as you suggested above and apparently it worked wonders.

It seems the trick is to get the tension correct.

* New Balance make excellent arch supports.

Thanks Guys,

All good advice.

I have been suffering from severe tendonitis for ages but only now have

realized that it is coming from not using the muscles in the arches of my feet which caused the arches to colapse.

This comes from wearing work boots all my life.

Activating this muscle seems to be the best cure.Clenching my feet but with the muscle in the arch of my foot not in the front of my foot.Also straightening out the arch in my foot by using the same muscle.If I do these two exercises using the muscles in the front of my feet it makes it worse.

I stay barefoot as much as I can and consciously activate the same muscles when I walk.

This is greatly reducing the tendonitis in my whole body.

The next step is to buy shoes or insoles for when I have to ware shoes.

I will check out the links people have provided here.

Thanks again.

Chaingrai:

I've got fallen arches.I need to buy a pair of really good insoles that support the arches of your feet. Does anyone know where to buy these in Thailand or online with regestered post. I am out in the sticks but can get to Boots and Central. Thanks

I have fallen arches, flat feet and was in pain. I live in South East Asia.

I went to a podiatrist in the USA on one of my annual visits and he did a mold and the cost was $500 USD.

Before I bought that, I saw a commercial on TV (no joke) for platinum fit soles (or whatever) for $19.99.

I ordered them. I then took these to my podiatrist and he made them reinforced with a form of packed material / cork.

He did this for a small fee.

I have used these $19.99 soles with the cork added by the podiatrist for a small fee for 5 years.

Give it a try.

(I also ordered a backup pair but have not needed to use them yet.)

Cheers.

Edited by Wrong Turn

• 7 months later...

fyi, there was another prior thread on this subject that doesn't seem to show up in a regular ThaiVisa forum search, but I did retrieve it using Google. Would be useful to add to this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254244-insoles-and-shoe-inserts/

As for me, I've been round the world on this subject over the past couple years with what I understand to be a mild but still uncomfortable case of plantar fasciatis, had tried many different potential solutions here in BKK only to have none of them really solve my issue, and ultimately felt like trying to find good solutions here in Bangkok/Thailand has been like trying to find a needle in the haystack. All the while, having recurring discomfort any time I'd do a lot of walking outside.

But, in the end, I have found what seems to be a very effective/comfortable and amazingly inexpensive solution for me, in the form of some Dr. Scholl's insoles/inserts I chanced across in Target department store on a recent trip back to the U.S. (though they're also available for mail order via Amazon.com for about double the in-store price at Target. But either way, we're talking $5 to $10 a pair at Target and $10 to $18 a pair from Amazon.

Obviously, my feet aren't the same as yours, and what worked for me may not be appropriate for you. But I suspect, people needing extra arch support in their shoes, especially with all the walking that a lot of folks do here, is not such an uncommon thing. BTW, if these same products are available in Thailand, I don't know that I've ever seen them. I have seen various insoles and supports (Dr. Scholl's and others) in some of the department stores, but they didn't seem to be specific for arch support.

Here's what I bought at Target, and then ordered more of from Amazon once I was back in BKK and had more of a chance to test out my Target purchases on the street with my feet and a lot of BKK walking to test out the result.

post-58284-0-35454500-1422533238_thumb.j post-58284-0-76291400-1422533241_thumb.j post-58284-0-53811600-1422533245_thumb.j

The Dr. Scholl's Arch Pain Relief Orthotic ran $5-$6 a pair at Target, and about $11 a pair online from Amazon. They have worked great for me thus far, and I like the fact that they're half-3/4 length, so they don't end up squeezing my toes at the front end of my toes like some full length inserts had done.

Here's the Amazon link for the Arch support version, and a similar version for heel pain relief:

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Relief-Orthotic-Sizes/dp/B004MXRD60/

http://www.amazon.com/Scholls-Pain-Relief-Orthotics-Heel/dp/B0012JZVZW/

I should add, while those say they are for men's sizes 8-12, I wear about a size 15 and they work fine for me in terms of fit.

If anyone has seen these specific products anywhere here in Thailand, please do post the location, though I suspect the prices here in the department stores would be as much or more than ordering them from Amazon and having them shipped.

Meanwhile, I've also begun trying a different, full length Dr. Scholl's insole I ordered from Amazon, and it seems to be working comparably well thus far, though I haven't quite completed sufficient road testing as yet. But thus far, feel comfortable and no pain.

Dr Scholl's Active Series Replacement Insoles size 10-1/2 to 13 -- about $17

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Active-Replacement-Insole/dp/B0097ACXX6/

These seem more oriented to tennis/sports shoes, and that's what I'm wearing them in at present, and they're working fine. But I was wearing the arch support model in my sports shoes earlier as well, and they also worked fine.

post-58284-0-24429700-1422534341_thumb.j post-58284-0-66088200-1422534344_thumb.j post-58284-0-45741600-1422534347_thumb.j

So that's what finally seems to have worked for me... But I found those products just by chance after a couple years worth of trying different things here in BKK and by order from the U.S. -- none of them really being fully successful for me.

Among the various other things I tried:

--New Balance the sports shoe maker makes a full length replacement insole with specific arch and metatarsal support that run about $40 to $45 per pair. I tried them and they worked OK for a time. But ultimately, they felt too thick in my shoes and I felt kind of oddly squishy underneath my feet when walking.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=IPR3030&size=&width=&category=app_insoles&selection=maccess&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=IUAS3810&size=&width=&category=app_insoles&selection=maccess&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=

I tried a couple models of the first product here, and those were the ones that felt squishy for me. Re the second product, that seems new and I don't believe I ever tried that particular item, though it looks to be a firmer/harder material.

-------------------------------------

Went to see one of the few podiatrists in Thailand, AFAIK, Dr. Cherdpong Hansasuta at Bangkok Hospital in BKK.

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/doctors/?DrID=2274

He and his staff took all the measurements and a mold of my feet, and then prepared a custom-made full length insole replacement that ran in excess of $200 U.S. It worked OK, but my feet never really felt comfortable wearing them and they only seemed to function acceptably in some styles of my shoes, but in other styles, left my feet and legs feeling very sore. The model they produced also seemed to have very little cushioning for my feet.

------------------------------------

The orthopedic department at Phayathai II hospital has a staff technician there who can modify existing insoles by placing/fusing an extra support material underneath your original insole. But, at least in my case, he did so without doing any kind of measurement or exam, and just on the basis of an acquaintance of mine explaining that I had an arch support problem. In the end, most of the insoles me modified proved to be too high and uncomfortable for my feet.

------------------------------------

Here's the last info I saw/had on the Foot Control custom insole maker in BKK. They quoted me $250 to $300 back in 2013, but I never pursued it with them.

post-58284-0-47855900-1422536262_thumb.j

-------------------------------------

Here's another BKK products maker I came across along the way, but never pursued. In Thai, I believe it says they're located in CP Tower near FortuneTown in BKK. No idea of their current status:

post-58284-0-28845000-1422536646_thumb.j post-58284-0-07768900-1422536657_thumb.j post-58284-0-82126300-1422536666_thumb.j

---------------------------------------

Then also came across this local importer/re-seller of Tulli's heel cups from the U.S., which I tried here but never really helped with my feet issues.

post-58284-0-15594800-1422537596_thumb.j

---------------------------------------

Lastly, a couple of years ago, there was a pharmacy/medical products store located in the Wave Place at the Ploenchit intersection that had some insole and foot products, but then it closed there shortly thereafter. And I had mentioned it in the past TV thread I linked to above.

Now, I see they have locations at 3 different locations around BKK, including Bumrungrad and Paradise Park. But I haven't visited any of them lately to see if they still have any products now pertinent to this topic.

http://www.healthymax.co.th/location.aspx?lang=en

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I did "spend for the MD" at $200+, and, for me... the result wasn't particularly good, and certainly didn't prove as successful for my feet at the $10 store variety -- when I finally found the right model to use.

The thing I liked about the Dr. Scholl's products I've ended up using is they have enough cushioning in the heel and elsewhere for my feet to feel comfortable -- unlike the BKK Hospital orthotic -- but not so thick and rubbery/squishy like the New Balance orthotic.

Kind of like Goldilock's porridge -- not too hot... not too cold... just right.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 6 years later...

Beware the “custom made insoles” business where they do casts of your feet etc….seems to be an “iffy” one at best! I’ve never known anyone to be happy with the money spent but when your feet are sore you’ll try anything!

I tried twice….spent $450. at a shop specializing in feet and just didn’t like the way they felt! Once again for $200. at some scammer outfit in a mall that once again I just didn’t like within a day or so! If they don’t feel 100% you just won’t wear them!

Finally at Costco for about $12. I bought a 3/4 length pair of Dr Scholls! That was six years ago and I still have them….they work really well on long walks and they’re still in great shape! The 3/4 length seem to be the way to go and fit best in your shoes without having to buy a bigger shoe!

Edited by Kanada

I swear by the super cheap arch supports that just go around the foot. They have the added advantage that you can wear them inside the house after taking your shoes of.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-arches-footfulinsoles-i1477052005-s3880388588.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.109.74061fc3UBgyWO&search=1

59 baht

(I actually prefer ones without the gel pad, you can get those on Amazon

You  can also pay 10 times that for Futuro brand, may be available at Boots etc. But these cheap ones work fine.

And of course only buy shoes that have built in arch support. Dr. Scholls has many and there are some other lines available in Thailand, often sold in kiosks near large hospitals.

Or Aerosoles from Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/aerosoft-sm2021-arch-support-sm-2021-i2902924348-s10616224344.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.132.3a4c5954W9hdeU&search=1

If your feet are really flat you may need BOTH a wrap around arch support and shoes with arch support.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kanada said:

I’ve never known anyone to be happy with the money spent but when your feet are sore you’ll try anything!

If off-the-shelf orthotics work for you, that’s great, but I would have happily spent 10 times more on the custom orthotics that a podiatrist (in Australia) made for me many years ago, as well as on an updated set. They’ve completely fixed the severe knee pain I used to experience while running, due to misalignment caused by my flat feet. Although I’m not running so much these days, they enable me to still walk long distances, which is very important to me, especially if travel’s ever again possible in my lifetime - even on Mediterranean beach holidays I used to walk more than swim.

As a bonus they save me money on shoes, as I no longer rapidly squash the inner portion of the foam of running shoes, but wear it evenly.