Homemade Koi food

Has anyone made their own food for Koi? Most of the stuff on Google refers to wheat, peas and stuff like that. One or two even recommend feeding them shrimp!

Maybe I can get shrimp leftovers from restaurants?

Lots of Fish shops have a tank with live shrimp, 20 baht get a bag with lots in, if you have a tank with air then can buy at the Fish Markets/Farms... about 40-50 baht per KG and feed your fish every day.

If you have a place near you go just before they close [but is pot luck] maybe you will get what is left [if any] for FREE or 20 baht for double the amount as they need to clean the tank for next days new supply.

Edit: some Fish shops you may see a freezer in, there are different types of fresh frozen food, the downside to this is the mess if not all is eaten, Live Shrimp stay alive and so no mess, but you do need to check your filter mats every day [ pick up and throw back in the pond so no waste]

Edited by ignis

So I should buy shrimps by the kilo and keep them alive for some time? I don't have an aerated tank.

A small electric air pump cost less then 200 baht, even a battery air pump [but would need to keep buying batteries] if you have a bucket or bowl does the same job..

got a few tanks and air pumps, so have no idea how long the Shrimp would last without

Even as a hobby, keeping Koi is not cheap..

Food, yes mine get shrimp 2 or 3 times a week, but there main food is -TENRYU- I buy 1x 12 KG sack per month @ 750 baht, also have -OPTIMUM Hi Pro- have both 6% and 12% [850 + 900 baht per 12 KG sacks] this I feed them when the colour is not good, but if you have white Koi then be careful as give them to much of the 12% and they turn Pink.

You need to check each Koi every 2 days, look for colour and parasites, never add new fish to your pond direct, 1st have them in a holding tank for 5 - 7 days, likewise should a fish get a parasite take it out and put in a holding tank, Penicillin normally sorts them out. look how they swim, if only near or on the top = water is not good..

Guess electric on water pumps, air and filter system costs around 2,000 baht per month.

Biggest question is what Grade of Koi do you have ? mine are mostly all AAA or Elite Grade - Exquisite patterns drenched in color with top body conformation.

I am still looking for a -OCHIBA- or a -ASAGI- Koi, [blue and Orange and Blue and Red] the very few I seen over the years are fully grown ones at over 50,000 baht each.

• Like 1

Even as a hobby, keeping Koi is not cheap..

Food, yes mine get shrimp 2 or 3 times a week, but there main food is -TENRYU- I buy 1x 12 KG sack per month @ 750 baht, also have -OPTIMUM Hi Pro- have both 6% and 12% [850 + 900 baht per 12 KG sacks] this I feed them when the colour is not good, but if you have white Koi then be careful as give them to much of the 12% and they turn Pink.

You need to check each Koi every 2 days, look for colour and parasites, never add new fish to your pond direct, 1st have them in a holding tank for 5 - 7 days, likewise should a fish get a parasite take it out and put in a holding tank, Penicillin normally sorts them out. look how they swim, if only near or on the top = water is not good..

Guess electric on water pumps, air and filter system costs around 2,000 baht per month.

Biggest question is what Grade of Koi do you have ? mine are mostly all AAA or Elite Grade - Exquisite patterns drenched in color with top body conformation.

I am still looking for a -OCHIBA- or a -ASAGI- Koi, [blue and Orange and Blue and Red] the very few I seen over the years are fully grown ones at over 50,000 baht each.

What grade? Dunno, I just bought for the pleasure of my wife and up to now have been buying very small bags at ฿35.- a go. I will look at for Tenryu, I don't remeber seeing that, but then again I never looked for it.

• 3 weeks later...