NACC to inquire 4 witnesses linked in the rice pledging program

webfact

NACC to inquire 4 witnesses linked in the rice pledging program

BANGKOK, 28 May 2014 (NNT) - The National Anti Corruption Commission (NACC) is to inquire four additional witnesses in the rice pledging scheme and also probe the assets and liabilities of political position holders responsible for the scheme.

NACC Secretary General Sansern Poljiak said the decision came during yesterday’s meeting which focused on the project’s damage made during the supervision of former Deputy Prime Ministr and Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan, and Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Phuangrach.

The four witnesses are Director-General of the Department of the Internal Trade Somchart Soithong, Permanant Secretary of Finance Rangsan Sriworasat, Inspector of the Ministry of Finance Kulit Sombutsiri, and Managing Director of the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) or his representative. Currently the BAAC’s top position belongs to Mr. Luck Watjananawat.

Meanwhile, the Public Warehouse Organization President Chanutpakon Wongsrinil defended his agency against a recent surfaced claim that three million tons of rice were missing from the warehouse. He explained that the lot had been pulled out for bleaching and delivery. Nonetheless, the PWO President said a committee would be set up to go over the number again.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-28footer_n.gif

" He explained that the lot had been pulled out for bleaching and delivery "

Bleaching!!!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sounds bad, but don't be alarmed. Believe it or not your rice doesn't grow on an Uncle Bens tree and be produced pearly white straight from field.

• Like 1

So ALL rice is bleached. Is that what your saying?

Umm on investigation it would seem not!

White rice is the name given to milled rice that has had its husk, bran, and germ removed. This alters the flavour, texture and appearance of the rice and helps prevent spoilage and extend its storage life. After milling, the rice is polished, resulting in a seed with a bright, white, shiny appearance

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Brown sugar is bleached to make it white. Didn't know they bleached rice! Maybe something was lost translating a word.....

Usually referred to as 'milled rice. All the vitamins and goodness is removed and you're left with the carbohydrate.

Milled rice and no other nutrition as experienced by POWs of the Japanese, usually suffered from vitamin B deficiency and had beri-beri as a result. A normal diet usually has enough vitamin B to overcome the problem.

I was please to see that 'Foritified Rice" is available in Chiang Mai, in which the missing vitamins have been added. The rice is coloured light yellow.

Time for all agencies to seize the opportunity to work to the fullest extend to investigate and prosecute politicians and others involved in all kinds of schemes.

Now you have the chance, without interference from politics

So ALL rice is bleached. Is that what your saying?

Umm on investigation it would seem not!

White rice is the name given to milled rice that has had its husk, bran, and germ removed. This alters the flavour, texture and appearance of the rice and helps prevent spoilage and extend its storage life. After milling, the rice is polished, resulting in a seed with a bright, white, shiny appearance

Rice bleaching is an industry term for polishing.

I think the PWO is about to get a new president.

Anything is possible but it is hard to believe that Supa (now an NACC commissioner) who was deputy permanent secretary at the Finance Ministry and was seconded to audit the rice pledging could have overlooked that 3 million tonnes, a very material proportion of the total, were actually at rice mills. Wouldn't there have been some documentation authorising the inventory movement? Surely the stock taking would have included stocks at mills?

The PWO has always had a reputation for rampant corruption. I think the NACC delayed this part of the investigation for fear of cover-ups. Now that the PT tide has suddenly gone out they will be able to see who was out there swimming naked.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

I see an item in the finance section of the BK Post today, Ministry : rice losses under 500 billion. (use search)

The finance ministry has come out with some realistic looking numbers on the pledging scheme.

Seems the fear of telling the truth has been removed with PT.

The heading is a bit misleading for in the article it says the loss MAY be less..........

Worth reading if you are interested.

• Like 1

The numbers involved in the rice scam are hard to comprehend, even more so for the less numerate. I have used a rough estimate of Thailand's population of 64 million to explain to the extended family that the amount lost is about B10,000 for every man, woman and child in the country.

Try it, the result is interesting to watch.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I see an item in the finance section of the BK Post today, Ministry : rice losses under 500 billion. (use search)

The finance ministry has come out with some realistic looking numbers on the pledging scheme.

Seems the fear of telling the truth has been removed with PT.

The heading is a bit misleading for in the article it says the loss MAY be less..........

Worth reading if you are interested.

The fear Robbie has disappeared from all the departments, would love to know the extent of their influence they had in the Treasury and Finance Departments, these two departments are world renowned for playing a straight bat ,on an otherwise putrid playing field ,hard to believe but true..

Bleaching!!!!

Sounds bad, but don't be alarmed. Believe it or not your rice doesn't grow on an Uncle Bens tree and be produced pearly white straight from field.

Really? Next you'll be saying that Uncle Ben doesn't handpick each grain himself. sad.png

Oh well, another image lies tattered and torn I guess it'll just have to be once more into the bleach dear fliends, as they say in Thailand.

Good 'ole Uncle Ben even comes over to Thailand to select his fine Jasmine rice. Brings Aunt Jemima with him.

post-9891-0-26920500-1401269948_thumb.jppost-9891-0-27914400-1401270011_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Anything is possible but it is hard to believe that Supa (now an NACC commissioner) who was deputy permanent secretary at the Finance Ministry and was seconded to audit the rice pledging could have overlooked that 3 million tonnes, a very material proportion of the total, were actually at rice mills. Wouldn't there have been some documentation authorising the inventory movement? Surely the stock taking would have included stocks at mills?

The PWO has always had a reputation for rampant corruption. I think the NACC delayed this part of the investigation for fear of cover-ups. Now that the PT tide has suddenly gone out they will be able to see who was out there swimming naked.

All the witnesses are civil servants and not politicians, corruption in Thailand is 90% civil service dominated. If you need electricity or water supplied to your house and don't want to wait 2 years who must you give a gift to ? Police bribes, sub division of land etc etc. If they are serious of cleaning up start with the civil service and work your way up.

The truth keeps coming out and the PTP keep denying, blaming or changing their story. Or as some do, state facts that relate to something different and call the other person a liar?

22 April 2014 – "The Public Warehouse Organization (PWO) has reaffirmed there was no pledged rice missing from the warehouse as the opposition has claimed" (Notice the word reaffirmed. So this was the second time they have stated that "No rice is missing. I would have thought a double check would suffice)

This is why it does not however suffice. Look at the "get out of jail free card" in the same article - "the finding was merely an initial investigation, and needed to be cross-checked by two more fact finding committees appointed by the PWO and the Commerce Ministry" (The PWO and Commerce ministry are infested by friends and relatives of thaksin )

Now back to reality and truth telling;

28 May 2014 - 3 million tons found missing. The PWO response - "the lot had been pulled out for bleaching and delivery"

After 2 years 9 months and 2 days in office it has been concluded that 500 billion baht has been lost & 3 million tons of rice stolen from the rice scam which means that for every HOUR yingluck was PM she lost 20.8 million baht & 12,500 kgs of rice... thats PER HOUR! That's the rice committee chairman.

PTP - Give up. You are out of office because of your abuse of power, lying, corruption and thievery. Give up. Come clean. Stop lying already.

I cannot wait for the NACC to release its findings on this rice scheme.

I cannot wait to hear the excuses that follow about 1 hour behind it.

I cannot wait for the NACC to release its findings on this rice scheme.

I cannot wait to hear the excuses that follow about 1 hour behind it.

I cant wait to hear how much rice is supposed to be on hand and how much is really on hand.

Surely I am not the only one is suspicious after the ousted govt only last month said there was nearly 20 mill tons of rice on hand and the previous 6 months to that, there was 8 to 10 mill tons on hand.

After 2 years 9 months and 2 days in office it has been concluded that 500 billion baht has been lost & 3 million tons of rice stolen from the rice scam which means that for every HOUR yingluck was PM she lost 20.8 million baht & 12,500 kgs of rice... thats PER HOUR! That's the rice committee chairman.

PTP - Give up. You are out of office because of your abuse of power, lying, corruption and thievery. Give up. Come clean. Stop lying already.

And that's only from the rice scam.

It doesn't include the tablet scam, first-time car buyer scam, and so on, and so on...

All the witnesses are civil servants and not politicians, corruption in Thailand is 90% civil service dominated. If you need electricity or water supplied to your house and don't want to wait 2 years who must you give a gift to ? Police bribes, sub division of land etc etc. If they are serious of cleaning up start with the civil service and work your way up.

I disagree. The Ministers that head each department set the tone and, if they do their job, the bureaucrats mind their p's and q's. In any case, the low-level corruption by bureaucrats and police patrolmen is 'chump change' compared to what the politicians rake in. Only politicians can conspire to steal Bt. 45 billion from the rice scheme. Reform starts at the highest level and the lower ranks will fall into line. Your method would clog the courts so much that the high-level political thieves would never have to go to court. That's why Gen. P. is beginning with the top. Corruption by low-level civil servants may, indeed, be 90% by volume (of corrupt transactions), but the corruption by politicians is 90% by amount (of money siphoned out of the system).

• Like 2

The good thing is that there are less excuses to delay hearings.

I hear that the Army is available to help anyone who is require for questioning get to the hearings if they are having transport difficulties, 55

• Like 1

Start t the top and work your way down. Most corruption starts at the top. The big bosses control the money flow. If that little cop on the street is taking a bribe, you can bet he pockets only a little of that. His boss is taking the lion's share.

• Like 2

Read in a few thai publications that thaksin,s assets had increased 300-400% in the last year. How could this be possible unless he was tapped straight into the thai government coffers ? We mortals are stuck with around 5% if we are lucky ! Investigations should be made and those found guilty of transferring such vast sums should be prosecuted.

• Like 1

Bleaching!!!!

"pearly white straight "

Are you suggesting they iron it?

LOL

Hopefully this is the beginning of a concise, clinical and forensic examination of this and other PTP scams. Furthermore, I wish that any and all corrupt practices and persons are identified and dealt with and any and all misappropriated funds are returned to the Thai people.

Well I agree with you on that.

The bonus would be that politics would attract more honest people.

A win win situation.