10 injured in Thai South hospital bombing:

webfact

SOUTH CRISIS
10 injured in South hospital bombing

The Nation

30234874-01_big.JPG

Officials believe attack was aimed at team of defence volunteers nearby

BANGKOK: -- TEN PEOPLE, including three defence volunteers, were injured yesterday in a motorcycle bomb attack at Pattani's Khok Pho Hospital, while a subsequent fire damaged dozens of motorcycle parked nearby.

The hospital's director said this was the restive region's first attack on a hospital compound, while police suspect insurgency sympathisers carried out the 9.30am bombing in the hospital's parking lot for motorcycles.

After firefighters managed to put out the fire in 30 minutes, Pattani police chief Pol Maj-General Phothi Suaysuwan led a forensic and bomb disposal police team to inspect the scene and collect evidence.

He said the 10-kilogram bomb was hidden in a Honda Wave motorbike that had been reported stolen from Nong Chik district on January 20.

Police believe the bomb was aimed at some defence volunteers stationed at a roadside pavilion 10 metres from the parking lot. The three wounded defence volunteers were identified as Rohimee Binpa, Muhammad Kade and Sulkifi Mohsu.

"I've been in the region for 25 years, and this is the first time that a hospital has been bombed," hospital director Dr Udomkiat Pulsawat said. "I'm very puzzled because according to international rules, nobody is allowed to bomb a hospital."

However, since the area is a declared "safety zone", he believed the defence volunteers at a roadside pavilion near the hospital were the real target.

Udomkiat said the hospital would implement tighter security measures, adding that police were checking CCTV camera footage from the hospital's only entrance for suspects.

Meanwhile, Pattani Governor Wittaya Panichpong yesterday presented Bt6.6 million in compensation to 14 people affected by the May 24 unrest in the province. The fateful night saw some 20 bomb attacks that killed three people, wounded 50 others and damaged 14 electric poles.

As of yesterday, the situation appeared to be returning to normal, except for an impassable road in tambon Taluboh and a blackout at tambon Bana, with electricity being restored by 4pm.

Work on the railway bridge in Narathiwat's Rangae district's tambon Tanyongmas, which was bomb-ed on May 14, is nearly 75 per cent complete and will be reinforced and strengthened with metal sheets to make it stronger. Train services in the South will resume on June 1.

Meanwhile, Ban Moo 8 headman Abraheng Beuraheng was shot dead in a market in Yala's Yaha district yesterday morning. The victim and his wife were shopping when two young men approached from behind and shot Abraheng in the back of the head before fleeing with the victim's pistol.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-29

I am bemused by comments such as safety zones in conflict involving terrorists. Safety zone is an unofficial term covering a wide range variety of attempts to declare certain areas off-limits for military targeting, i.e. Hospital zones, neutralised zones and demilitarized zones. These treaty arrangements require consent between belligerents, depend on complete demilitarisation and do not specify any arrangements for defending the areas. (http://www.crimesofwar.org/a-z-guide/safety-zones/) However most attempts to devise schemes to protect particular places from horrors have little success especially when dealing with Islamic terrorists such as those in the south. Why anyone in Thailand can believe that these mongrels would adhere to any agreement is beyond me. Thailand only has to look at what their red shirt Buddhist citizens did in hospitals during 2010 and again this year to gauge an insight into the mindset of these abhorrent repugnant cretins to understand nothing is off limits.

• Like 2

"I've been in the region for 25 years, and this is the first time that a hospital has been bombed," hospital director Dr Udomkiat Pulsawat said. "I'm very puzzled because according to international rules, nobody is allowed to bomb a hospital."

Terrorists have no respect for people or international rules.

Here in Thailand they witnessed red shirts invade a hospital and in return become a part of the government rather than the prison system.

So far nothing has come out from the new government about their plans for the south. I wonder if it is on their agenda or are willing to continue with the same ineffectual process of their predecessors. Coming from the military backing I strongly suspect they will still rely on the Army to solve the problem. Hopefully I am wrong.

It is ironic that they seized power to make Thailand a safer place and yet have done nothing about the most dangerous part of it to live in. I sincerely hope that before they turn the government back over to the people they institute a reasonable program to help solve the problem. If I remember correctly Abhist was starting to make progress. Maybe put him in charge of over seeing the problem and give him some power to do some thing about it.

• Like 2

I know there is probably more to it than this, but it would be good if while the military is in power, they could just go down there and weed out and exterminate the militants. This is getting to be too much. If the Muslims don't want to be a part of Thailand, then they should move to Malaysia or some other place like Pakistan or Iran where they kill pregnant women for not "doing the Muslim thing".

Almost everyday in the news I am shown that Islam is the religion of terrorism and brutality. Sure there are some that are anti violent which tend to be the more "Westernized" ones that live outside of the brutal Sharia Law which is fundamental to Islam's way of life. I know quite a few of these "lite Muslims", they are wonderful people that wouldn't hurt a fly and a few even drink too. But the rest of Islam see these "lite Muslims" as western corrupted pussies. The argument I get from my Muslim friends is that the all the violent Muslims are not true Muslims. I will agree that they are not the same kind of Muslim, and I would like to agree that they are not true Muslims, but then it would seem that most of the Muslim world as we know it would not be true Muslim.

So I say if true Islam is peaceful, and only Muslims are allowed into Mecca and other places, "Muslims" from countries where it is allowed or goes unpunished to kidnap, imprison, persecute, torture, mutilate, rape, or kill in the name of Islam (either legally or illegally) should not be allowed to enter Islamic holy cities and places where only Muslims are allowed. If they are allowed in, then it is an affirmation that they are true Muslims and that Islam is not peaceful. Actions speak louder than words. And right now I'm just not "hearing" that Islam is peaceful from any kind of Muslim.

Edited by dwcrist
  • Like 2

until the thai army takes off the kids gloves and starts to kill these people on site it will keep happening, They know who these terrorists are but do nothing, thats why these killings keep happening, the terrorsts have no fear of reprisal. If they start to kill the known terrorsts on site they might start to re think what they are doing especially when they know that they can and will be shot. Its way past time that these people were targetted, no slaps on the wrist just bullets.

No fear of reprisal is somewhat far fetched. From Thai media reports its difficult to know the number of insurgents killed by security forces, but as of January 2013 it is claimed 250 killed in the previous nine years, another report late 2013 claimed 450+.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/609415-3380-killed-in-nine-years-of-violence-thai-south/

Numbers killed by extrajudicial means isn't documented, but Thai & foreign media reports firmly state they do occur

"Numbers killed by extrajudicial means isn't documented, but Thai & foreign media reports firmly state they do occur"

As well they should. These are brutal acts of war and as such call for military in addition to police response.

We differ on the issue of extraducial killings, use of torture and so on. But as an example you may like to read the blog at the URL below that discusses this matter from both POVs.

http://kingsofwar.org.uk/2008/11/extra-judicial-killing-in-counterinsurgency/

or....

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=7NIJW6AHoMsC&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=counterinsurgency+extrajudicial+killing&source=bl&ots=8q9h2i3kbf&sig=R06TFY1VsYixacYgMBgU6TI0gDY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QLyGU93lK87pkgWAx4CADQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=counterinsurgency%20extrajudicial%20killing&f=false

until the thai army takes off the kids gloves and starts to kill these people on site it will keep happening, They know who these terrorists are but do nothing, thats why these killings keep happening, the terrorsts have no fear of reprisal. If they start to kill the known terrorsts on site they might start to re think what they are doing especially when they know that they can and will be shot. Its way past time that these people were targetted, no slaps on the wrist just bullets.

Beg to differ.

You are rite kill them on sight. But they do not know where they are located. What Thailand must do is convince the peace loving Muslim citizens of Thailand that they are free to practice their religion as they see fit as long as they obey the same laws every other religion in the world has to obey when in Thailand.

Show the citizens that we are not against them. I believe this is what Abhist was starting to do. Win them over to the side of peace. It will take time but once they realize that they are not being persecuted but given the same privileges and more than other religions they will start to reveal where the terrorists are. They know but will not cooperate with a government that they see as being hostile to them.

When I said they are given more room than any other religion look at the airports with special rooms for them to pray in. There are no Synagogues, Chapels or Wat's in the airports.

Historically and traditionally this area has nothing to do with Thailand. Why does Thailand hold on to this area? Scores of people died, yet no one is there to come up with a real peace treaty. Insane.

• Like 1

Vast majority of Thais don't even care about this incident, it really is odd how they treat the situation in the south. It's almost like they don't think it's happening in their country.

Not surprising to me that they don't get all up in arms.

• It's been going on since before I was born
  • I didn't cause it.
  • I can't do a thing about it.
  • It's not affecting me or my loved ones.
  • I'll worry about something closer to home.

Or they can get all Fox News righteous about it and waste a lot of their energy and keystrokes.

• Like 1

Vast majority of Thais don't even care about this incident, it really is odd how they treat the situation in the south. It's almost like they don't think it's happening in their country.

• I didn't cause it.

Or they can get all Fox News righteous about it and waste a lot of their energy and keystrokes.

Oh it's not surprising to me either we all know the true attitude of Thais towards people they don't know personally.

It's just really odd that a population that is so nationalistic couldn't give two shits about their nation being under constant attack from terrorists.

• I didn't cause it.

Oh it's not surprising to me either we all know the true attitude of Thais towards people they don't know personally.

It's just really odd that a population that is so nationalistic couldn't give two shits about their nation being under constant attack from terrorists.

Animism and Buddhism are very 'personal' believe systems and a Thai is as far as I can make out absolutely free without fear of being ostracised or punished to reject either or both. This is not true as I understand it (at least in practice) of the Muslim faith. My view is that generally the Thais will not get 'worked up' about the Muslims seeking control of the deep southern areas because it's the job of the military and police to sort that on their behalf but as they are undoubtedly nationalistic, if asked, would not want to concede that territory.

I guess that the new constitution will deal with this question by crafting an amendment or amendments that seek to limit the abuse and misuse of religion, to separate religion and politics in the legal sense and perhaps outlaw or seek to limit the practice of indoctrination as it is against the spirit (no pun intended) of Thainess, thereby creating a model for other similarly beleaguered states.

Edited by piersbeckett
  • Like 1

Historically and traditionally this area has nothing to do with Thailand. Why does Thailand hold on to this area? Scores of people died, yet no one is there to come up with a real peace treaty. Insane.

The most obvious part of all this is that these terrorists hate Thailand. Clearly. Otherwise they wouldn't be launching an anti-Thai drive that is pushing all ethnic Thai (and even ethnic Chinese etc.) Buddhist Thais out of the area, killing teachers, bombing hospitals, schools, railway stations, airports, beheading rubber tappers, people shopping at the market and god knows how many other poor, innocent civilians.

One day very soon a proper solution needs to be found for this area. It is unacceptable and also very strange for a country like Thailand, a role model for the region (in a certain sense) with it's relatively developed infrastructure, general history of tolerance towards different ethnic and religious groups (with the obvious exception of this southernmost region) and a booming tourism industry, it seems that a violent insurgency and the beaches of Phuket full of western, Russian, Indian and Chinese tourists soaking up the sun are not and should not be compatible in the same country. I can't say what the best option for that region is. That option is for the Thai government to work out (and the Thai people to decide upon should there ever be a referendum), BUT it seems that the terrorists are NOT going to be happy with continued imposition of Thai culture, language etc. at the expense of their language, culture, ethnicity and religion. If that part of Thailand doesn't want to be Thai then they shouldn't be forced to be (BTW do the terrorists and their sympathizers refuse to use Thai as a communication tool with outsiders and resort to Malay or English when speaking to someone who can't speak Pattani Malay?) Just curious...

My only suggestion would be perhaps it might be a nice gesture to acknowledge the different ethnic and linguistic differences of that region and declare Pattani Malay as the working language of that region. There are many countries which have different languages spoken in different regions of the same country. Take Switzerland for example. 4 languages spoken, German in the east and north-east, French in the west and south-west, Italian in the south and parts of the south-east and Rhaeto-Romansch in some of the upper valleys of the south-east. These communities are able to get along in harmony and are still able to communicate with each other somehow, even though the average French speaker may not necessarily know German and vice versa. Usually a second one of the other national languages is spoken by any given Swiss resident residing in any part of the country, but not always. If this is the case, English is increasingly being used as a neutral language that allows for cross-cultural communication.

I don't see why such a solution wouldn't work for Thailand. Already many Thais use such a system with foreigners, who they generally assume can't speak Thai (until Thai speaking foreigners make it clear they can). So therefore why can't an indigenous language be declared a working national language for the region where it's the native language?

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 2

The photo of the little girl, on the cover of the other daily Eng.Lang. newspaper almost brought me to tears. She had lost a leg and her other leg was damaged. All was bandaged up. She was crying intensely with a frown on her little face. What can anyone say when she asks; "Why?!?!"

The photo of the little girl, on the cover of the other daily Eng.Lang. newspaper almost brought me to tears. She had lost a leg and her other leg was damaged. All was bandaged up. She was crying intensely with a frown on her little face. What can anyone say when she asks; "Why?!?!"

Terribly sad when children are killed / disfigured in these attacks.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

You say "Insh'allah". Allah wills it.

Finding a peaceful solution is of course the answer, but I'd posit that a huge number of these trigger happy perps are stupid, bored, enjoy what they're doing and have nothing else. Face will be lost but only way out is to offer autonomy or give it up altogether and whack up a huge border. Turning their own people against them won't work as they're sh.it scared.

"Numbers killed by extrajudicial means isn't documented, but Thai & foreign media reports firmly state they do occur"

As well they should. These are brutal acts of war and as such call for military in addition to police response.

We differ on the issue of extraducial killings, use of torture and so on. But as an example you may like to read the blog at the URL below that discusses this matter from both POVs.

I differ on it from you. There is times when it is OK as far as I am concerned this rule of law is bull stuff. The only thing that is illegal is things that the government has said is illegal. That gives the government a great deal of latitude. Just change the laws.

How ever I was wondering if you had a gun in a class room where a terrorist was cutting of the head of a school teacher in front of his students would you shoot to wound him or kill him?

That is not a make believe hypothetical question it has been happening in the south. The only hypothetical thing about it is you had a chance to do some thing about it.

I believe that as long as we try to treat terrorists with kid gloves they will continue on their way and find it easy to recruit new terrorists. There are many cases where extra judicial killings were wrong about 2,500 come to mind with the sanctioning of the then Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. As it turns out most of them were innocent and of the ones who were guilty how many of them were innocent of serious crimes just minor crimes.

The "southern" question, is not a high priority for the Army just now.

It's not just boots on the ground. There is a 600km porous border. Unless they build a wall as the Russians did in eastern Europe, with barbed wire, minefields and watch towers, any military offensive is unlikely to result in a lasting solution.

The only long term solution is a dialogue with Malaysia and better treatment of other Muslims living in Thailand.

I differ on it from you. There is times when it is OK as far as I am concerned this rule of law is bull stuff. The only thing that is illegal is things that the government has said is illegal. That gives the government a great deal of latitude. Just change the laws.

How ever I was wondering if you had a gun in a class room where a terrorist was cutting of the head of a school teacher in front of his students would you shoot to wound him or kill him?

That is not a make believe hypothetical question it has been happening in the south. The only hypothetical thing about it is you had a chance to do some thing about it.

I believe that as long as we try to treat terrorists with kid gloves they will continue on their way and find it easy to recruit new terrorists. There are many cases where extra judicial killings were wrong about 2,500 come to mind with the sanctioning of the then Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. As it turns out most of them were innocent and of the ones who were guilty how many of them were innocent of serious crimes just minor crimes.

We have no idea if those being murdered in extraducial killings are in fact deserving of the death sentence. As its Thailand I would imagine many killings are settlement of personal / business disputes. I don't agree that Rule of Law is BS, one of the few mechanisms for a civil society. As you say if current laws are insufficient then update them, but don't hold your breath

In your scenario, shoot to kill