Unprofessional and unskilled English Teacher's do you feel guilty?

Display

....EVERYBODY...1,2,3....Happy bird day too yooo happy bird day tooo yooo happy bird day happy bird day..........happy biiiiiirrrrrdddd ddddaaaaayyyy toooo yoooooo.....

Bird-day -- that's good. Like the kids reciting the Lord's Prayer:

Our Father, who art in Heaven, How did you know my name?

Or singing the US National Anthem: José can you see?

Or for those who don't believe yet.

singing happy birthday aint gonna cut it at an ASEAN conference

They are not singing Happy Birthday and demonstrate a better sense of comprehension than the previous three posters. If you guys want to compete with kindergarten Thai Children you should watch the video and try and understand. It's clap your hands, OK now clap and stamp your feet, now stamp.

The wise of the world have tried to teach Thai children English and have failed. Time to try something new.

AYJAYDEE said, "singing happy birthday aint gonna cut it at an ASEAN conference." 1. he put the comment under a video where the children were not singing happy birthday. 2. So, he gets a dunce cap.

My point is not singing. It is; try something else. All the TEFL courses have not worked and Thai teachers certainly have not worked.

I posted a video where the children were acting out what they were singing. How many adult posters saw and commented on that feat? None.

Or for those who don't believe yet.

singing happy birthday aint gonna cut it at an ASEAN conference

They are not singing Happy Birthday and demonstrate a better sense of comprehension than the previous three posters. If you guys want to compete with kindergarten Thai Children you should watch the video and try and understand. It's clap your hands, OK now clap and stamp your feet, now stamp.

The wise of the world have tried to teach Thai children English and have failed. Time to try something new.

AYJAYDEE said, "singing happy birthday aint gonna cut it at an ASEAN conference." 1. he put the comment under a video where the children were not singing happy birthday. 2. So, he gets a dunce cap.

My point is not singing. It is; try something else. All the TEFL courses have not worked and Thai teachers certainly have not worked.

I posted a video where the children were acting out what they were singing. How many adult posters saw and commented on that feat? None.

lol! as if the name of the song being sung has anything to do with the fact that this has absolutely nothing to do with it. singing nursery rhymes is just that. irrelevant.

My Thai neighbor is a retired English teacher.

I literally chocked when she told me she used to teach English.

the woman cannot pronounce English words correctly,let alone string a correct sentence together.

Yet she has taught 40 years of English in Bangkok.

Any bum beach, lager lout would be better than this.

No problem AJD -- some people just have the be the biggest fish in a small pond and if you get in their way (to quote John Barrymore in Twentieth Century,1934):

What do you know about talent? What do you know about the theatre? What do you know about genius? What do you know about anything, you... bookkeeper! -- I close the iron door on you!

hang on, are you arguing that songs and rhythm work for elementary and kindy? I dont think anyone at all will argue with you on that point.

Are you saying this can be applied to M1-M6 though? :) Id love to see those lessons every week. Sure, you might get them on a one-shot just for the novelty factor. But after two weeks of jazz hands and throwing every ounce of energy into these activities, you might find youre struggling to hit those dizzying heights of motivation you're used to. :)

hang on, are you arguing that songs and rhythm work for elementary and kindy? I dont think anyone at all will argue with you on that point.

Are you saying this can be applied to M1-M6 though? smile.png Id love to see those lessons every week. Sure, you might get them on a one-shot just for the novelty factor. But after two weeks of jazz hands and throwing every ounce of energy into these activities, you might find youre struggling to hit those dizzying heights of motivation you're used to. smile.png

especially with 50+ kids in the class like he claims he can handle

Are you saying this can be applied to M1-M6 though? smile.png Id love to see those lessons every week. Sure, you might get them on a one-shot just for the novelty factor. But after two weeks of jazz hands and throwing every ounce of energy into these activities, you might find youre struggling to hit those dizzying heights of motivation you're used to. smile.png

I think you may be talking to me but you didn't include a post so I don't know for sure.

I am arguing for some learning to take place. If there is no common vocabulary learned at the lower grades no one will learn anything at Mathayom.

Start at the end and work backwards. What level of English speaking do you expect Thai Children to achieve.

Maybe Thais could start speaking on Mondays?

Edited by thailiketoo

I agree also that songs are a great way to teach KIDS!!!! BUT lets be serious here......

Last year I worked at a selective/govt/private school. I taught M 1 - 5. I was assigned to teach...for god knows what reasons TOEIC to M4 students. The work was WAY above their heads inspite of the fact that they were pretty smart kids and quite good at English. One day I asked them about AEC and what they thought. The resounding feeling was that THEY WERE NOT READY AT ALL!! These kids had sung their fair share of happy sunny songs in their time and the felt let down!!! They were scared of the fact that other coutriies in the region are streets ahead of them. They had reason to be concerned...

Here the point. I sometimes get caught in a comfortable world where I think all my students speak good English.....this is wrong. My students...many students speak English THAT IS GOOD FOR THAILAND!!! This does NOT mean their level is comparable to other students in the region....its just good for Thailand!

Singing cute little songs helps...but the problems run MUCH deeper than this!!!

• Like 1

I agree also that songs are a great way to teach KIDS!!!! BUT lets be serious here......

Last year I worked at a selective/govt/private school. I taught M 1 - 5. I was assigned to teach...for god knows what reasons TOEIC to M4 students. The work was WAY above their heads inspite of the fact that they were pretty smart kids and quite good at English. One day I asked them about AEC and what they thought. The resounding feeling was that THEY WERE NOT READY AT ALL!! These kids had sung their fair share of happy sunny songs in their time and the felt let down!!! They were scared of the fact that other coutriies in the region are streets ahead of them. They had reason to be concerned...

Here the point. I sometimes get caught in a comfortable world where I think all my students speak good English.....this is wrong. My students...many students speak English THAT IS GOOD FOR THAILAND!!! This does NOT mean their level is comparable to other students in the region....its just good for Thailand!

What kind of jobs require TOEIC? What percent of Thai people would need to take the TOEIC?

What kind of jobs require TOEIC? What percent of Thai people would need to take the TOEIC?

It wasnt my idea to teach TOEIC. The test is designed for adults that are in real world situations using English. It goes into such things as contracts...got any nice little ditties for teaching 15 year olds about the ins and outs of contracts?.....

It wasnt my idea to teach TOEIC. The test is designed for adults that are in real world situations using English. It goes into such things as contracts...got any nice little ditties for teaching 15 year olds about the ins and outs of contracts?.....

I think we are talking about two different standards here. You with TOEIC and jobs that require that and me for the average Thai person who will never take the TOEIC.

My piont is that even the AVERAGE Thai may be facing a very tough time ahead when AEC finally opens. The overall level of English in Thailand...for even the AVERAGE Thai is quite low. Eventually the average Thai may be pitted against the average Malaysian in the open market of the AEC. The way I understand AEC is that eventually more and more jobs will be open to all within the South East Asian region. So, it absolutely DOES matter that the average Thai cannot really string a decent, basic sentence together. This is what my M4 students were worried about!!!!

If all you are talking about is that teaching sunny songs to kids helps them learn English then....ok. One day though, those Prathom students are going to be faced with the harsh reality of competition with people from other countries where the emphasis on learning ALWAYS HAVING TO BE SANOOK is less, and lateral thinking, questioning, learning things on there own with the benefit of understanding English, and surfing the net......oh I could go on but I hope you get the picture.

My job, which is teaching a Mathayom level at the moment is about trying to patch up years of neglect and poor teaching in regards to the teaching of English. I am NOT disrespectful to Thai English teachers, I know a lot work hard and themselves are victims of a flawed system. However, most of the time they just dont cut it, and thats a fact. The kids may be able to sing some sweet songs but ask them anything more indepth that "what is your name?:" and they get a bit lost. they simply dont use English enough to be able to get a real grasp of the language. I have basically HAD To learn how to speak Thai in order to help with my teaching. Simply standing in front of a room and getting kids to parrot on with sentence structures that they dont understand is almost useless. If, however they really do understand what it is they are saying, if they can break it down in Thai as well.....then progress can be made...for some. I know others disagree with using Thai.There is more than one way to skin a cat...

Cheers

My piont is that even the AVERAGE Thai may be facing a very tough time ahead when AEC finally opens. The overall level of English in Thailand...for even the AVERAGE Thai is quite low. Eventually the average Thai may be pitted against the average Malaysian in the open market of the AEC. The way I understand AEC is that eventually more and more jobs will be open to all within the South East Asian region. So, it absolutely DOES matter that the average Thai cannot really string a decent, basic sentence together. This is what my M4 students were worried about!!!!

If all you are talking about is that teaching sunny songs to kids helps them learn English then....ok. One day though, those Prathom students are going to be faced with the harsh reality of competition with people from other countries where the emphasis on learning ALWAYS HAVING TO BE SANOOK is less, and lateral thinking, questioning, learning things on there own with the benefit of understanding English, and surfing the net......oh I could go on but I hope you get the picture.

My job, which is teaching a Mathayom level at the moment is about trying to patch up years of neglect and poor teaching in regards to the teaching of English. I am NOT disrespectful to Thai English teachers, I know a lot work hard and themselves are victims of a flawed system. However, most of the time they just dont cut it, and thats a fact. The kids may be able to sing some sweet songs but ask them anything more indepth that "what is your name?:" and they get a bit lost. they simply dont use English enough to be able to get a real grasp of the language. I have basically HAD To learn how to speak Thai in order to help with my teaching. Simply standing in front of a room and getting kids to parrot on with sentence structures that they dont understand is almost useless. If, however they really do understand what it is they are saying, if they can break it down in Thai as well.....then progress can be made...for some. I know others disagree with using Thai.There is more than one way to skin a cat...

Cheers

I keep trying to get you to tell me to what level do you think the average Thai needs to speak English. TOEIC? Of course you had to learn how to speak Thai. So did I. Can't teach without it. But what level of English? Fluency of a 3 year old? Or 5 year old? What do you think?

I think the 'average' Thai will NEVER speak English that well. I just dont see them being particularly interested in it. I dont see many go out of their way to speak it, most only really start to learn it when they REALLY have to, ie when there jobs are perhaps on the line, or they are up against othe competitors in the job market that can actually speak English. When I taught aduts my classes were full of them. They would turn up thinking that learning English would just 'happen', like it would simply absorb into them by simply being in the classroom. Proactive students were rare, but they were there.

So, in my opinion, in the ideal world...The average Thai adult would be able to converse in an adult way in English. This would mean they could tell you about their personal history, some of their opinions and perhaps even make some jokes....that kind of thing. Unfortunately even most Thai English teachers are not capable of that. It would only be of benefit to Thailand if this were a reality. However, if this is ever going to happen, schools have to start taking conversational English,AND reading comprehension seriously sooner. It is so much easier to teach sentence structures when the student can actually read English to a reasonable level. As far as I can see (and I have a Prathom 1 aged son here) phonics is rarely taught. The kids simply learn to read by memory only. They dont learn how the sounds are put togehter to make words. I am doing this with my son at the moment.

Ok, I was a little pessimistic in that last post. Having considered it further, I think saying that the average Thai will NEVER speak English that well was unecessarily negative. It is of course possible for Thailand to raise its level of English, its doable but it will take a lot of work. I apologise for saying that and I take it back. I actually would really love to see it happen. It may be a case of being dragged kicking and screaming, but I think Thai people do realise the importance of the language and it will eventually take its place here, as it has in places like Singapore etc....and yes I know that conditions in Singapore have developed very differently to here......still, English isnt going anywhere for the forseeable future.

Clutch what bothers me the most is that the teacher didn't correct the major spelling mistake then/than but instead commented on penmanship. Sorry that International school hires losers.

"I am arguing for some learning to take place. If there is no common vocabulary learned at the lower grades no one will learn anything at Mathayom."

SO Thailiket00, you think that students cannot learn a language when they are older? Perhaps you should actually read the linguistical case studies out there and you might be surprised that the studies show opposite to your declaration.

Being exposed to Native speakers or in an emersion program earlier may improve pronunciation, there is a lot of data that shows that teenagers and young adults actually reach a stage of fluency and accuracy at a faster rate than children. Most studies that test language skills of young children actually overlook or don't include grammar or syntax at all.

As for your spamming of youtube vids. Though the kids are cute, I wouldn't parade that as a sucess in English language speaking. It was overly staged and rehearsed. There was no feeling whatsoever. Do you really think that every single kid in a school likes pissa and frenchfries? One girl said that she didn't like to eat bananas. I find that really hard to believe. I really don't believe that Thai kids would ever not include a single Thai dish in their list of favorite things to eat. Their expressions were so rigid and constrained it looked like poor acting rather than natural dialogue.

It seems like you think that if a kid can read or pronounce things correctly they actually have a connection to what they are saying. Which is not the case.

You also seem to write a lot of responses. In the past 3 pages I think you have posted half page responses over 17 different times. Some of your responses are back to back.

If you actually act like this in real life, you wouldn't be fun to have a conversation with. You talk at people instead of with them.

Seems like that is how you teach too. Lecture based approach with singing, yeah so original.

you invented edutainment, so proud of you.

• Like 1

Dr Saowaruj.

To understand why, first you have to understand the regulations.

“The biggest myth about the AEC is that there will be free flow of labour,” she said. “But to this point it is only highly skilled labour that can move, and it isn’t that freely. Warnings of a flood of unskilled labour to Singapore are unfounded.”

She works as a research fellow for Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), one of only a handful of think-tanks in the country, and unlike much of what is published in the media, Dr Saowaruj believes not much will change by 2015.

Some educated Thais do want to practice abroad, but usually not in Asean. They would prefer to go to the US, Canada or Europe

http://www.norcham.com/news/why-the-aec-in-2015-will-lead-to-few-changes-in-thailand

Clutch what bothers me the most is that the teacher didn't correct the major spelling mistake then/than but instead commented on penmanship. Sorry that International school hires losers.

"I am arguing for some learning to take place. If there is no common vocabulary learned at the lower grades no one will learn anything at Mathayom."

SO Thailiket00, you think that students cannot learn a language when they are older? Perhaps you should actually read the linguistical case studies out there and you might be surprised that the studies show opposite to your declaration.

Being exposed to Native speakers or in an emersion program earlier may improve pronunciation, there is a lot of data that shows that teenagers and young adults actually reach a stage of fluency and accuracy at a faster rate than children. Most studies that test language skills of young children actually overlook or don't include grammar or syntax at all.

As for your spamming of youtube vids. Though the kids are cute, I wouldn't parade that as a sucess in English language speaking. It was overly staged and rehearsed. There was no feeling whatsoever. Do you really think that every single kid in a school likes pissa and frenchfries? One girl said that she didn't like to eat bananas. I find that really hard to believe. I really don't believe that Thai kids would ever not include a single Thai dish in their list of favorite things to eat. Their expressions were so rigid and constrained it looked like poor acting rather than natural dialogue.

It seems like you think that if a kid can read or pronounce things correctly they actually have a connection to what they are saying. Which is not the case.

You also seem to write a lot of responses. In the past 3 pages I think you have posted half page responses over 17 different times. Some of your responses are back to back.

If you actually act like this in real life, you wouldn't be fun to have a conversation with. You talk at people instead of with them.

Seems like that is how you teach too. Lecture based approach with singing, yeah so original.

You wrote, "You also seem to write a lot of responses. In the past 3 pages I think you have posted half page responses over 17 different times. Some of your responses are back to back." That is an ad honimem response; it says nothing about what I said only that you find fault with the fact I responded 17 times. Being a teacher yourself I would have expected better.

I wrote, "I am arguing for some learning to take place. If there is no common vocabulary learned at the lower grades no one will learn anything at Mathayom."

I taught all of the students English at one school in Prathom 4,5 and 6. I taught the same students in Matthayom 1. The students that I taught through Prathom were much easier to teach and better students in Matthayom 1 than other Matthayom students that I did not teach in Prathom. I found the English skills of my Matthayom 1 students better than the English skills of Matthayom 3 students that I did not teach in Prathom.

It is obvious that a good foundation in speaking English leads to a greater skill level as one advances. It is obvious that there is no standardized curriculum Thailand. It is obvious the students have wasted an hour a week in English language classes.

That's why I suggested teaching them songs that they may remember because as it is now they don't remember anything or if they do it's wrong.

Edited by thailiketoo

I have a Thai friend who once showed me her English book. I just loved the " I have to defecate now". Plus talking about her 'pussy'. And they were only a few in the book. We were a group of friends sitting in the garden over a beer. You can imagine the hilarity.

I have a Thai friend who once showed me her English book. I just loved the " I have to defecate now". Plus talking about her 'pussy'. And they were only a few in the book. We were a group of friends sitting in the garden over a beer. You can imagine the hilarity.

This would be unlikely to be a TEFL book, as it sounds like it was written by a Thai or foreign speaker. TEFL does not use translation as the lessons are meant to be carried out in the target language.

You wrote, "You also seem to write a lot of responses. In the past 3 pages I think you have posted half page responses over 17 different times. Some of your responses are back to back." That is an ad honimem response; it says nothing about what I said only that you find fault with the fact I responded 17 times. Being a teacher yourself I would have expected better.

I wrote, "I am arguing for some learning to take place. If there is no common vocabulary learned at the lower grades no one will learn anything at Mathayom."

I taught all of the students English at one school in Prathom 4,5 and 6. I taught the same students in Matthayom 1. The students that I taught through Prathom were much easier to teach and better students in Matthayom 1 than other Matthayom students that I did not teach in Prathom. I found the English skills of my Matthayom 1 students better than the English skills of Matthayom 3 students that I did not teach in Prathom.

It is obvious that a good foundation in speaking English leads to a greater skill level as one advances. It is obvious that there is no standardized curriculum Thailand. It is obvious the students have wasted an hour a week in English language classes.

That's why I suggested teaching them songs that they may remember because as it is now they don't remember anything or if they do it's wrong.

It would appear the TL2 isn't actually familiar with any teaching practices - he openly amits he invents his own methods and has shown no knowledge of accepted teaching techniques to base it on - I think he just makes it up as h goes along.

Comments like this - "It is obvious that a good foundation in speaking English leads to a greater skill level as one advances" - seem to indicate he hasn't a clue

His claim that ELT has failed in Thailand? - Well he again seems to be coming to conclusions solely based on his limited and consequently distorted personal perception.

Edited by wilcopops

TL2 claimed that he was the head of the department at a college in the USA which would almost certainly require a PhD in something which is one credential he seems to yet have claimed.

touch of the Walter Mitty's about him I think....got a fixation on qualifications and yet seems to have little idea about current teaching methods or concepts of learning....maybe just very old and out of touch.

It would appear the TL2 isn't actually familiar with any teaching practices - he openly amits he invents his own methods and has shown no knowledge of accepted teaching techniques to base it on - I think he just makes it up as h goes along.

Comments like this - "It is obvious that a good foundation in speaking English leads to a greater skill level as one advances" - seem to indicate he hasn't a clue

His claim that ELT has failed in Thailand? - Well he again seems to be coming to conclusions solely based on his limited and consequently distorted personal perception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index

Thailand ranks 55 out of 60. 60 being the bottom.

Well again Wilcopops seems to be coming to conclusions solely based on his limited and consequently distorted personal perception.

Corruption is a problem in Thailand. Schools have not escaped. The textbooks have to be good and the same for all students in the same grade all over Thailand. The problem is schools are allowed to buy their own textbooks and buy ones that someone gets a kickback on.

Thailand is not a big place and there aren't too many Thai people. It is no big deal to teach them English. The fellow below could do it, no problem.

Mr Heng graduated with an MA in Economics from the Cambridge University, United Kingdom. He also holds a Master of Public Administration from the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
Or
Ms Sim Ann
1988 - 1991 GCE 'O' Level (Raffles Girls' School) 1992 - 1993 GCE 'A' Level (Hwa Chong Junior College) 1994 - 1997 B.A Honours (Oxford University) 1997 - 1998 M.A (Stanford University) 2005 - 2005

Post Graduate Diploma (Nanyang Technological University)

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

"Thailand is not a big place and there aren't too many Thai people."

Are you insane. Thailand has quite a large population and area wise it is a large country with many different local governments and cultures fighting each other.

One thing is clear by this point, you really don't have a clue at all about education, Thailand, or the needs of the people. The other thing is that you think that you are the only one that is right.

Good luck

• Like 1

Are you insane. Thailand has quite a large population and area wise it is a large country with many different local governments and cultures fighting each other.

One thing is clear by this point, you really don't have a clue at all about education, Thailand, or the needs of the people. The other thing is that you think that you are the only one that is right.

Good luck

Thailand has the less people than a total of 3 States in the USA; NY, CA & FL. There are 50 States.

Thailand is a little country with a small population that speaks many languages but English is not one of them.

It would be difficult for a large country like China or the USA to learn a new language. It would not be difficult for a small country like Thailand.

One only has to look at the cultural mandates of Plaek Phibunsongkhram to realize how easy it is to change the behaviors of the people of Thailand. It only takes the will to do it and that so far has been lacking.

post-187908-0-12859200-1402115284_thumb.

Good luck

Thailand has the less people than a total of 3 States in the USA; NY, CA & FL. There are 50 States.

Thailand is a little country with a small population that speaks many languages but English is not one of them.

It would be difficult for a large country like China or the USA to learn a new language. It would not be difficult for a small country like Thailand.

One only has to look at the cultural mandates of Plaek Phibunsongkhram to realize how easy it is to change the behaviors of the people of Thailand. It only takes the will to do it and that so far has been lacking.

what the hell does the population have to do with anything?. besides 70 million is not a small population. 21 st out of 243 countries