Caning in schools still practised.

ozsamurai

if it isnt bring it back,

it never did me any harm,,

Have to agree there Jake, though in my school it was a strap. there is too much "you touch me and I will tell my Dad" nowadays. If I went home and said the teacher had hit me, my Dad would hit me again and say I must have deserved it! ( and guess what....he was right)sad.png

I have to disagree, there was a poster on her of his child being bullied by a teacher and physically abused by methods you mention which has caused mental scarring..

Now that child has fear of going to school and staying with his mothers family in Thailand, this is the 21st century there is no need for barbarianism anymore.

Good parenting is what is needed, it's just a shame a lot of people are bad parents in any part of the world.

If somebody beat my child with a cane, stick, strap what ever, I would beat them for a few hours with it while singing a mor lam.

• Like 1

There are laws and my son's teacher is always thoroughly warned on the first day of class that I will be involved if he is ever hit. We correct our kids, not the teachers. They are also presented with this document, in Thai, explaining the law against physical punishment. Feel free to download it.

Thai Law against canning.pdf

And for those people who defend it and say that they got canned and turned out ok..Well, these kids feel it every day. I doubt that the defenders of this practice got canned with a bamboo stick every day. coffee1.gif I work at a govt. school. I see it every day. And the student teachers from Rajabat University arrive with a stick or metal ruler as part of their "portfolio".

• Like 1

What the woman is doing is nothing short of torture. It is not a quick cane on the hand some of you 50 something olds may have got like me. If I caught a teacher doing that to my child I would end up in jail.

I suffered worse. Much worse for 3 years at a Pacific Island boarding school. I'm guessing the boys in the video did something quite bad. I'm guessing they wont do it again! It's also plain because it was so public that the teacher did not conceive that her actions were cruel or illegal. She would have suffered the same in her childhood.

I absolutely do not condone getting the boys to cane each other, although in my day when that happened the other students relished the chance to "legally" hit another student and did not draw back.

I bet the other students watching will think twice before committing whatever was themselves.

What may be hard for some people to get their head around is that there will be no emotional scarring with these boys They will accept and learn their lesson..... unless some PC do-gooder with Western values convinces them that what happened was unacceptable. It's a sort of ignorance is bliss thing.

I have never beaten my kids because I have learnt how to raise them without violence, but as I experienced it, I know that is is not such a big deal...until we're told it is a big deal.

Carried out correctly it is a legitimate tool for disciplining kids.

As long as you don't meet those 'kids' 10 years later and they remember your 'legitimate tool'.

i agree about meeting the teacher latter in life , i got caned at school mid 70s in england , i cant remember what i,d done wrong but i must have deserved it , left school at 15 went to work in the building trade " when it was still hard work and mostly done by hand " makes you a strong lad , i met the teacher in a bar about 8 or 9 years latter , " so i thanked him for putting me on the correct path in life " NO ONLY JOKING i followed him into the toilets and told him who i was , then gave him a good old beating and left him there , was it the right thing to do ? NO but it made me feel much better ...

does the saying go " you reap what you sew "

Admit to being ambivalent about the concept generally but lets just say it won't be practiced any more in any school my daughter is in (when she starts). Not unless they want a little first hand research on the effects themselves ;)

As long as you don't meet those 'kids' 10 years later and they remember your 'legitimate tool'.

i agree about meeting the teacher latter in life , i got caned at school mid 70s in england , i cant remember what i,d done wrong but i must have deserved it , left school at 15 went to work in the building trade " when it was still hard work and mostly done by hand " makes you a strong lad , i met the teacher in a bar about 8 or 9 years latter , " so i thanked him for putting me on the correct path in life " NO ONLY JOKING i followed him into the toilets and told him who i was , then gave him a good old beating and left him there , was it the right thing to do ? NO but it made me feel much better ...

and that makes you a real bnig man,,

i left him in the toilet,,,lol

i got caned, had the sliper, if the police come knocking on our door asking questions, i got it from mum,,

now in england you cant even give your own kid a smack, and i said smack not a f$$$$ing beating,,

the world has gone to PC,,

left him in thre toilet,, cant get over that one,,THUG,,

thanks made my day,,

jake

• Like 1

and as for all you others braging if he or she did that ide beat them to an inch of there life,,,

arnt you the same,,,????

shouldnt you so PC poeple go to the police,,

NO you want to beat the teacher up,,,,, thugery,,lol

get a life and get out your bar,, drinking to much mush be doing something to you,,could be making you big hard men,,lol

A priest punched me in the jaw in school. I was 13 years old and he knocked me out. He was a big guy.

I never sent any of my children to a Catholic school or went to church again.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Canning in schools is a very good form of instant punishment. However it has to be controlled. There are unfortunately some that take things to far.

You just have to look at the youth in the UK and in the States to see that by sparing the rod, two generations of children have been spoilt. Respect specifically for your elders, has gone out the window and most kids want to start adult life, where there parents left off. Instant success.

Bring back corporal punishment we need it. Religion is dying, we need a method to enforce morals and ethics. I believe canning in a controlled way is the answer. Yes I'm over 50. Very few, none that I know of, people that I grew up with, ever became criminals, or needed to spend time in a psychiatrists office due to emotional scars, caused by being canned, when they deserved it.

You do not need religion to 'enforce' morals and ethics. That is one of the most blindly stupid comments on these pages. It is easy to rule any person of any age by fear of consequence. Leadership and that includes parental leadership as well as that that must be displayed by teachers CAN be exercised in a much better way - getting people to do what you want them to do - because they want to do it!

Your last sentence could be said by most people as the number of decent people tend to outnumber the bad people, so it is just the law of probability and nothing to do with the application of a stick across your hand or backside.

Well I rest my case. "Gentleman Jim" not allowing me to express my opinion be it wrong or right. Quite clearly you weren't canned enough, keep your insults to yourself. I am neither blind or stupid. (Its just your opinion) You don't have the manners to know when to be a gentleman. Bye!

I'm sure most of us have done things in the past which we are somewhat ashamed of and would rather forget. You admit what you did was wrong yet the tone of your post makes you sound almost proud. Perhaps though you think receiving violence from him made you react the way you did?

• Like 1

and that makes you a real bnig man,,

i left him in the toilet,,,lol

i got caned, had the sliper, if the police come knocking on our door asking questions, i got it from mum,,

now in england you cant even give your own kid a smack, and i said smack not a f$$$$ing beating,,

the world has gone to PC,,

left him in thre toilet,, cant get over that one,,THUG,,

thanks made my day,,

jake

Smack on Jake ( definitely no pun intended!) Seems we were brought up the same, and I have to agree the world has gone PC.

• Like 2

What the woman is doing is nothing short of torture. It is not a quick cane on the hand some of you 50 something olds may have got like me. If I caught a teacher doing that to my child I would end up in jail.

Having just gone back and watched the video, I would be in the same boat as you, but they would have to catch me first, and they would not find her.

I have to ask if anything will be done about this, or will she be left to practice her evil ways?sad.png

(p.s. it is 50 something young please..wink.png )

The teacher in the video was fired and fined by the police. All Thai teachers (in Thai schools) carry canes and are allowed to use them but the teacher in the video went too far. The two kids had been fighting and the teacher - probably demoralized teaching 50 kids for a pittance of a slave wage - overstepped the mark in an error of judgement.

In defence of the teacher, I'd wager that most sane, rational adults wouldn't last five minutes in a Thai school.

WRONG

It is against the law to hit a student at school. Don't make excuses for her as well, a job in teaching should not lead to a complete mental breakdown. What makes it worse is that there is clearly a crowd of staff there watching the whole sordid scene and not one of them intervened. She had the children hitting each other with the canes the filthy . She should have been sentenced to a short stay in prison.

Most rational sane adults would last a long time at a Thai school and would never come close to breaking down in the same fashion as that teacher.

Edited by bkkgooner

Having just gone back and watched the video, I would be in the same boat as you, but they would have to catch me first, and they would not find her.

I have to ask if anything will be done about this, or will she be left to practice her evil ways?sad.png

(p.s. it is 50 something young please..wink.png )

The teacher in the video was fired and fined by the police. All Thai teachers (in Thai schools) carry canes and are allowed to use them but the teacher in the video went too far. The two kids had been fighting and the teacher - probably demoralized teaching 50 kids for a pittance of a slave wage - overstepped the mark in an error of judgement.

In defence of the teacher, I'd wager that most sane, rational adults wouldn't last five minutes in a Thai school.

WRONG

It is against the law to hit a student at school. Don't make excuses for her as well, a job in teaching should not lead to a complete mental breakdown. What makes it worse is that there is clearly a crowd of staff there watching the whole sordid scene and not one of them intervened. She had the children hitting each other with the canes the filthy . She should have been sentenced to a short stay in prison.

Most rational sane adults would last a long time at a Thai school and would never come close to breaking down in the same fashion as that teacher.

Sometimes the law is an ass. For example Thailand's defamation law. Just because something is illegal doesn't make it "wrong" or inappropriate.