Applicants urged to take note of new licensing process for Thai drivers' license

webfact

And how do you get a permanent drivers license ?

You got one before 2005.

I'm on my 3rd 5 year license, never heard of a "Permanent" one! 2001, 2002(seen note), 2003, 2008, 2013.

Note. Went to renew a few days prior to expiry and told I could not have a 5 year?? Later found out I had to let the initial license expire before renewing, how effin stupid was I?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new licencing process will help to reduce the amount of new drivers that do not understand the regulations. It will also increase the quantity of drivers without licence. I have a permanent drivers licence, there for I never have to be retested. Overall it looks like a good start.

Over two decades ago after you renewed your yearly licence for the third time you were issued with a permenant one for life, This practice ceased some years ago. I got a letter saying that this had stopped (lack of revenue) and I had to exchange my licence for a 5 year licence. I would suggest that you check with the DLT as all these permanent licences have been recalled, and you are probably driving illegally as I was.wai.gif

Just great. My first 1 year temp license expires 7 June so I'll be at LTO following Monday trying to get a 5-year. facepalm.gif

Get there before the 7th June or they may make you get another one year licence.

You can go up to one month in advance and supposedly up to a month after the expiry date, but better to get it prior to expiry.

Just great. My first 1 year temp license expires 7 June so I'll be at LTO following Monday trying to get a 5-year. facepalm.gif

Get there before the 7th June or they may make you get another one year licence.

You can go up to one month in advance and supposedly up to a month after the expiry date, but better to get it prior to expiry.

Oh! I'll have to re-read the driving license threads but seem to recall some guys saying they were turned away if they went before expiry. Had to do the full 1 year probation. I'll check it out, thanks.

Oh! I'll have to re-read the driving license threads but seem to recall some guys saying they were turned away if they went before expiry. Had to do the full 1 year probation. I'll check it out, thanks.

A one year licence has to run the full year before renewal, but the 5 year licence has to be renewed before the expiry date which will be your birthday. If you go late you will get a bollocking as they will have to make it for 6 years instead of 5, One of TV's admin has a six year licence as I do. we were both suitabled chastised!!

• Like 1

The revised questionnaire for Thais:

Can you be a disciplined driver?

And the answer can be pre-printed of course, to ease-up on the process.

And then an additional pre-printed form :

"You can try again in 6 months".

Just great. My first 1 year temp license expires 7 June so I'll be at LTO following Monday trying to get a 5-year.

A one year licence has to run the full year before renewal, but the 5 year licence has to be renewed before the expiry date which will be your birthday. If you go late you will get a bollocking as they will have to make it for 6 years instead of 5, One of TV's admin has a six year licence as I do. we were both suitabled chastised!!

Are you sure? I've been told I have to wait for my 5 year licence to expire before I can renew it?

Edited by brewsterbudgen

The new licencing process will help to reduce the amount of new drivers that do not understand the regulations. It will also increase the quantity of drivers without licence. I have a permanent drivers licence, there for I never have to be retested. Overall it looks like a good start.

Over two decades ago after you renewed your yearly licence for the third time you were issued with a permenant one for life, This practice ceased some years ago. I got a letter saying that this had stopped (lack of revenue) and I had to exchange my licence for a 5 year licence. I would suggest that you check with the DLT as all these permanent licences have been recalled, and you are probably driving illegally as I was.wai.gif

Are you sure about this? I lost my life-time licence about 4 years ago and went to the licensing centre and got a new life-time licence issued for 100 baht. Has there been a change since then? I have had my licence inspected by traffic cops quite a few times and they never said it was invalid. As far as I know the life-time licences were only issued to Thai citizens and permanent residents. When I got mine I went along to the licensing centre with a friend who didn't have PR and he was told he wasn't eligible without PR.

Edited by Dogmatix

Does anyone have link to the questions on their web? Looks to me it's all in Thai only ...

I used to use this link before, it has an English option, but only seems to have 30 questions on it, not 1000. One can see from the thirty questions in English the chances of getting more than 90% of the questions to make any sense will be a difficult.

http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

You got one before 2005.

Mine issued 1983 was only valid for 4 years.

There are some threads in Thai about the life-time driving licence, including this one: https://th.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110607025644AAve3Mm .

The conclusion seems to be that the law stopping the issue of life-time licenses has never been made retroactive and the existing ones are still valid for life and can be re-issued, if damaged or lost. Posters also talk about having had their old life-time licenses exchanged for new smart card life time licences.

PoorSucker, on 30 May 2014 - 15:28, said:
bdenner, on 30 May 2014 - 15:16, said:

I'm on my 3rd 5 year license, never heard of a "Permanent" one! 2001, 2002(seen note), 2003, 2008, 2013.

So you ended your fist five year license in 2008, to late to get the permanent one.

On my forth finishes july 2014 told to come back in 5 years for another 5 year one

The problem is that if the person fails, im sure that they will just drive without a license anyways.

According to this article every time we renew our license we will need to do a written test.

I doubt this is the case now either.

Better read it again. The complete change. If you are renewing, it is the same as before. New applicants are affected.

Are you sure? I've been told I have to wait for my 5 year licence to expire before I can renew it?

There was a thread in the Chiangmai forum a few years back on this issue, and failing a search you could PM

Tywais who will verify this.

Will this stop drivers from driving directly into on coming traffic or putting 4 and 5 un-helmeted people on one bike...me thinks not!

Edited by ggt

You got one before 2005.

Mine issued 1983 was only valid for 4 years.

Did you renew after 4 years?

Rule was earlier, 1 year temp, 4-5 year permanent, then lifetime.

• Like 1

Why so many negative comments on TV about this new procedure? I welcome any attempt to get stricter with the driving license test. There are certainly ways to get around it, but that was the case before as well.

I give it a thumbs up.