Where to find good friends in BKK

canadianinbkk

There was another topic on this about a month ago with some good ideas.

But I see your name, I too am a Canadian in bkk.

I'm from edmonton. Send me a pm me. Maybe we could meet up!

Two canadians! All you need now is a hockey puck...and life will be, once again, wonderful~!

Ice with that ??

It is really simple to meet some good people, with or without drinking. A two second internet search would have turned up the following: http://www.bangkoknetworking.com/. Some of these are Chambers of Commerce events, which I am a member of the American Chamber (AMCHAM) which has many events and other committee meetings in which you can get involved dependent upon your profession and interests. Look at: http://www.meetup.com/bangkok-network/ and http://socialnetwork.meetup.com/cities/th/bangkok/. Bangkok has some of the best networking organizations and clubs in the world. Everyone speaks English, although lots of English speaking Thais also attend. There are also many other organizations such as the Rotary Club, Lion's Club and many others. Good luck.

Two canadians! All you need now is a hockey puck...and life will be, once again, wonderful~!

It could be worse, you could be sitting next to two Yorkshiremen with your finger in your ears.

Or two Celtic supporters. smile.png

• Like 1

If you like to chat with nice girls while having your drink, there are nice bars along sukhumvit road from asoke to phrong phong. They dont impose on you for going out or for sex, they like to talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

many very lovely people in Thailand. Just because of a few bad apples do not let that spoil your expericnce. I have found so many good friend in my visist to jail's, orphanages's and other volunteer work.

I personaly avoid all the patpong,soi cowboy, soi 11 area's. They simply do not suit me.

Although it's the men, not the ladies I find that put me off. Some of the ladies have a heart of gold and have simply been let down by society that forces them to what they have to do in order to survive.

Also, thailand is a wonderful place to study practice,improve any hobby's.

I don't know what you're talking aboot eh? We are much more than just hockeys :) don't forget about maple syrup and Tim hortons.

Welcome to the club. I see slipperylobsta posting all the time and I've got no idea what he's on about. In actual fact, I'm not even sure slippery knows what he's on about. ;)

many very lovely people in Thailand. Just because of a few bad apples do not let that spoil your expericnce. I have found so many good friend in my visist to jail's, orphanages's and other volunteer work.

I personaly avoid all the patpong,soi cowboy, soi 11 area's. They simply do not suit me.

Although it's the men, not the ladies I find that put me off. Some of the ladies have a heart of gold and have simply been let down by society that forces them to what they have to do in order to survive.

Also, thailand is a wonderful place to study practice,improve any hobby's.

The slammer?? You found good people in the clink? Got to be at the wind up.

They are all over the place, crawling from every sewer and side street in the big old city. Due to the corrupt and sex menace element it does attract the undesirables of the planet to congregate for a booze fuelled sex and scam charade.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Thai-born American citizen that came that to Thailand to work about a year ago. Having lived in USA for most of my life I know how it is, I do miss my friends back home too and wouldn't mind meeting some new farangs

My mindset and the way I think/talk are different than how Thai think/talk and it can be pretty difficult in making friends with Thai.

There are a lot of people here who are not 'big drinkers' but actually enjoy a few quiet beers and a chat with pals of an evening. Try heading out to the expat haunts of an evening. You may find contrary to popular opinion on this forum, that not everyone will be slumped over their table with 3 dolly birds draped over them by 8pm every night.

What are your interests? You could 'google' "your interests" then 'Bangkok' and see what that brings up.

More like 9pm???/

You are not alone.

Not only some expats and foreigners have this feeling alone and lonely in Thailand but also there are some Thais too. I was one of those Thais who had the same sort of situation what you are going through now. I stayed in Bangkok for four months two years ago. I did not have any closed Thai friends in Thailand (none) because I left the country to study abroad after high school and have never returned to live in Thailand ever since. My parents passed away many years ago and I am not close with my siblings which has to do with our parents' assets dispute that I was not counted in.

I have a family in the States but I was alone in Thailand. I even googled searching for a meetup. I attended a meetup of mix Thai and English languages group but it did not serve my purpose. Attended people mostly were pretentious and expected other people to listen to them of their accomplishment. There was a smart ass young Thai man took advantage of eating good food and drinking expensive wine and not sharing money equally that he took off early and left a bill that the moderator had to pay. Good thing I did not share my food bill with them.

I spent my free time of four months in Bangkok by feeding and rescuing animals (mainly abandoned street cats and dogs) trapped them and took them to be spayed/neuter and to be Rabies vaccinated. I spent almost every day walking in Bangkok for at least 10 miles a day that I knew many part of streets, i.e from Thong-Lor to Pratu-Naam, Thong-Lor to Pra-Kanong-OnNut, Pak-Klong Talad - Bang Lampu and more. I was that down to earth that I rode free non A/C buses to places just wanted to suffer myself even more. I did not care how long it would take me to get back to my rental room. I sometimes stayed over nights at a friend's house that helped a little bit.

I was mentally prepared before I went to Thailand that I would be alone in BKK but I was fortunate that there was a well to do Thai lady friend gave me a warm welcome by taking me on a road trip and stayed at her place on the first week and after that I was on my own. Two weeks before my return home, I found a Thai lady who we became a good friend quickly because we both are animal rescuers. I still keep in touch with her through phone calls.

Good luck and be happy.

Good post.You have summed up Bangkok very well.