Bad News: Double & Triple Entry Visas No More

I was under the impression that one could stay indefinitley in Thailand by doing monthy Visa runs if necessary. Some people may generate income without working IN Thailand, but live here because it's cheap. About how many successive 30-day tourist Visas are tolerated until one's luck runs out? I didn't think they could turn someone down if they played by the rules.

There is no set limit of monthly border runs you can do, but the more of them you do, the more likely you are to run into problems in the end, as witnessed by quite a few people in this forum.

If you want to stay long-term, your best bet is to find steady employment with a company that sponsors a Non Immigrant B visa for you. Also, getting a double or triple entry tourist visa is usually not a problem from the Thai embassy in your home country.

I know one english guy who did 30 day runs for a year and was then give seven days to get out of the country. Seems safer to use different border crossings, three consequetive visits to the same border can be pushing the limit also. Some people have done it for years, though. Presumably depends on what you look like, how old you are, etc., just to confuse things.

Penang agents are popular as they are cheaper than taking a taxi four times to the consulate.

I always go back to the UK every year or so and get a multi-entry for nine months (three two months plus 30 day extension) and usually don't need more than a single entry tourist visa to finish off my stay (although did get a double entry in Penang this time). Never had any problems but suspect they will start cracking down on people who don't actually work here but stay for long lengths of time.

Luckily, next time I will be fifty so can get a proper one year visa.

Typical. While other countries are opening up to attract more people (tourists, investors etc), Thailand is becoming more difficult. First the company shareholder crackdown, now this. I mean, what does it matter whether someone lives here on a tourist visa and gets a new one every three or six months or so? He will still be spending money here. I really don't get the attitude of the immigration department. Maybe it's time to look for somewhere else before I get kicked out on a short notice...

Just for people's info about using Phnom Penh as an alternative, I applied for a Non-B Visa there in April. I had all the documents, letter from employer, etc. but the guy there refused me. In his words:

"Why you come here? The Phnom Penh Thai embassy is for Cambodia people only. Tell your friends do not come here, we are too busy."

No matter how politely I tried to reason with him he still came back to this bullshit excuse. Basically he couldn't be bothered to help me and seemed to think that if he granted my visa his embassy would be inundated with farangs.

Not sure where the best option to go is now. Maybe Kuala Lumpur?

When I was in Vientienne in July 2004, they only offered the single-entry visa. I doubt much has changed.

Yo are right, I am right back from Vientiane, took every singele document with me exept my mothers birth certificate :o

I have Co Ltd tax ID's house , land , income , bankbook, workpermit ect, No multiple non imm B.

They gave me a 3 month only, first timer after 17 years doing bussines in Thailand.

Foxy

You take your PP and all documents to immigration in BKK and you get a one year extension. You go back every year with all documentation and keep getting extentions. I have not left LOS in about 3 years. Last trip to immigration 19 minutes from walking in to walking out with another 1 year extension. Just make sure you have correct documents, dress appropriately for going to a govt office (i saw a guy in slevveless t-shirt, shorts and sandals get turned down- dont know the reason, but his attire didnt help) and be polite.

I left that office and went to my regular guy in front of swiss hotel. d

Just out of curiosity, is the Visa guy at the Swiss Hotel still that jovial, slightly rotund Indian man? I think his name was Modu, or something like that. I am going back quite awhile, but he was the best informed individual regarding visas in Penang.

I remember having beers with him and guessing how long the authorities would allow the Kiwis, Lorraine and her son Aaron, to stay free as openly practicing heroin junkies in a country that imposed the death penalty for such behavior. Mother and son were shortly arrested at the airport after they had spent all their funds and I believe their sentences were later commuted.

I wonder how this is going to effect my Husband who is 66 and just living off his S.S. checks. He is also handicapped and it's hard for him to travel. And before you ask, No, he doesn't have 800,000 baht to be left lying around in a bank. How can he get a longer visa?

Thanks

A year, or so, ago, I was planning to go to Penang for a one year visa instead of Oz, as I usually do.

About a week before I was supposed to go, Thai Visa had many reports, such as these, that Penang had stopped issuing these visas permanantly.

I went to Australia instead and lost out on my airline tickets, but by the time I got to Brisbane, Penang was back to issuing one year visas per usual. If I hadn't of canceled my trip, I would have saved a lot of money.

Take these "new regulations" with a grain of salt until some time has passed! :o

Around 1999-2000 I made my first and only trip to Penang. At that time, the Thai Consulate had a crackdown on people making back-to-back trips. Something to the effect of "forbidden to return" was stamped in their passports. I had no trouble getting a Non-immigrant B (and later a Work Permit). However, on the return train trip there were many tales, including a few who were given 1 week to get their belongings and leave Thailand.

The point is, that over the years, things have been getting stricter and stricter. The bombings in the South of Thailand resulted in the arrest of an Indonesian suspect and about two years ago, Hambali, was arrested here. Immigration ultimately get held up for close inspection on these things.

Yes, things may lighten up a little, but eventually they will go back to being stricter. Lets understand that almost every country has strict visa regulations. There aren't very many desirable locations that allow you to be a perpetual tourist.

This isn't a jab at the many, many good, well-meaning people who have stayed in Thailand on Tourist visas. It's just that with the threat of international terrorism, money laundering etc. The gov't here has to be careful. A few bad apples, ruin the lot.

Yes boys and girls this is bad news.

However..........TIT nothing stays forever.

Most of the bars are not closing at 00.00 do they :D

No worries i guess within a few mounths every thing will be back to normal :o

As I read this thread I see the pages quickly increasing, from 3 to 6 in just 10 minutes!

Some insight as a bit more of an outsider than most of you are:

1. The Thai gov't is made up of Thai people. If you've been here long enough, you should know this isn't the land of rational, systematic thought. The Thai mind is quirky, judgmental, and at times, very irrational. They Thai mind often makes decisions based upon an extremely narrow set of factors. So, if you don't understand your Thai girlfriend/wife, your landlord, or your business partners, don't be surprised you don't understand the gov'ts decisions.

2. There are other Asian countries which make life much easier for foreigners. I remember backpacking in Japan and en route getting an English teaching job. I simply flew to Korea, did some paperwork, and then was back in Japan with a one-year work permit that guaranteed me a minimum wage of a couple thousand dollars a month (4-5 times the local's minimum wage). Nice!

Also, for the past two years I've been living in India. They gave me a 10-year tourist visa with six month's validity per entry. So, I only have to leave twice a year- which feels more like a state mandated vacation than a bother. Sri Lanka is also great to foreigners, including with property rights.

I am not recommending India per se, as most people living in Thailand are a different breed from us India-living people (we generally don't drink nor smoke, nor have the sexual issues of many of the expats here), and India is a pain-in-the-ass in different (non-visa) ways, but the point is...

you are choosing to live in a country that has a certain psychological character. you are choosing. they aren't choosing for you to live here. you never got an invite. sri lanka will invite you. japan will invite you. thailand just invites you to come, drop some money, and move on. if you want to operate outside of their offer, it is your issue, not theirs.

I wonder how this is going to effect my Husband who is 66 and just living off his S.S. checks. He is also handicapped and it's hard for him to travel. And before you ask, No, he doesn't have 800,000 baht to be left lying around in a bank. How can he get a longer visa?

Thanks

What is your nationality Sassy ?

A year, or so, ago, I was planning to go to Penang for a one year visa instead of Oz, as I usually do.

About a week before I was supposed to go, Thai Visa had many reports, such as these, that Penang had stopped issuing these visas permanantly.

I went to Australia instead and lost out on my airline tickets, but by the time I got to Brisbane, Penang was back to issuing one year visas per usual. If I hadn't of canceled my trip, I would have saved a lot of money.

Take these "new regulations" with a grain of salt until some time has passed! :o

I bet you got exactly what you wanted in Australia though. Sometimes timing dictates the where and when.

.................. nor have the sexual issues of many of the expats here.......................

get the broad brush out why dont you .

i did write "many" on purpose. i know there are plenty of people here who don't have such issues, yet you know as well as i that thailand is a magnet for people with sex and alchohol issues.

for some reason, many expats think that their money should buy them a warm welcome. i suspect that there money is the only reason they aren't getting a firm kick on the ass sending them back to their countries.

So, I wonder who made it past the first 5 or 6 pages to read this - congratulations you have a longer attention span than most.

I have been in Thailand for 1/2 a decade (that's how you make 5 years sound like a long time) - I'm in my mid thirties.

For the above time I have played by the rules. The result: about 22 pages of various stamps in my passport, a stack of work permit books, and so much maze-work in my passport I couldn't even begin to understand the jist of it.

I've traveled a lot, have lived in many countries. I can say without a doubt that Thailand is the WORST of any of the dozens of countries I've lived concerning Visas.

My Thai friend just got a job as a flight attendent with an American carrier - got a TEN YEAR!!! work Visa. 10 YEAR!!

Thailand truly makes it difficult for a foreigner to work here, and to live here (retire).

I have to say - that if I were to choose to retire here. I would stop playing by the rules!

I'd come on a 30 day tourist Visa - and say "screw you" to anything else. I wouldn't boast or brag to anyone.. I'd just do it.

In all my time here I have only been asked one time by police (getting off a bus 4 years ago from Pattaya) to present my passport. Then they didn't even look at it - they just wanted to know my nationality it seems.

So, with that said I could have been here for whatever time on a 30 day Visa and nobody would have known the difference.

Then there are those that say "oooohhh well what if this or that happens." I'd reply - "I could die tomorrow as well - what then?"

If I ever needed to leave the country - I'd pay the overstay fine and be done with it - 20,000 baht no problem.

Hopefully, by the time I am 55-60 (20-30 years from now) Thailand will have pulled their head out of their arse.

Possible?

• Like 1

Thanks

Well Sassy, let us hope for the best on this one. I don't think your husband's situation is all that unique. I have met people in the exact same situation and I'm sure there are many many others

So, I wonder who made it past the first 5 or 6 pages to read this - congratulations you have a longer attention span than most.

I have been in Thailand for 1/2 a decade (that's how you make 5 years sound like a long time) - I'm in my mid thirties.

For the above time I have played by the rules. The result: about 22 pages of various stamps in my passport, a stack of work permit books, and so much maze-work in my passport I couldn't even begin to understand the jist of it.

I've traveled a lot, have lived in many countries. I can say without a doubt that Thailand is the WORST of any of the dozens of countries I've lived concerning Visas.

My Thai friend just got a job as a flight attendent with an American carrier - got a TEN YEAR!!! work Visa. 10 YEAR!!

Thailand truly makes it difficult for a foreigner to work here, and to live here (retire).

I have to say - that if I were to choose to retire here. I would stop playing by the rules!

I'd come on a 30 day tourist Visa - and say "screw you" to anything else. I wouldn't boast or brag to anyone.. I'd just do it.

In all my time here I have only been asked one time by police (getting off a bus 4 years ago from Pattaya) to present my passport. Then they didn't even look at it - they just wanted to know my nationality it seems.

So, with that said I could have been here for whatever time on a 30 day Visa and nobody would have known the difference.

Then there are those that say "oooohhh well what if this or that happens." I'd reply - "I could die tomorrow as well - what then?"

If I ever needed to leave the country - I'd pay the overstay fine and be done with it - 20,000 baht no problem.

Hopefully, by the time I am 55-60 (20-30 years from now) Thailand will have pulled their head out of their arse.

Possible?

What you are suggesting is really really stupid

For me it means marrying a lil bit earlier. I hope they are not going to restrict the marriage visa's . It is a bummer i wanted to see how things went a lil bit longer.

Be aware that there have been reports from Penang thet they are only providing SINGLE entry non-o visas for first timers :o Apparently the second time you go to Penang you can get a multi.

KL is a far better bet, and BTW, a far nicer place. The Embassy is nice and easy to find too :D

For me it means marrying a lil bit earlier. I hope they are not going to restrict the marriage visa's . It is a bummer i wanted to see how things went a lil bit longer.

Be aware that there have been reports from Penang thet they are only providing SINGLE entry non-o visas for first timers :o Apparently the second time you go to Penang you can get a multi.

KL is a far better bet, and BTW, a far nicer place. The Embassy is nice and easy to find too :D

Thanks for the warning. The problem is that me and my gf (soon to be wife) love diving and we would do some diving then in penang. I will check it out.