3BB start up costs in Bangkok

kingalfred

Can someone please tell me the upfront costs for getting 3BB internet in Bangkok and is the 590baht 10MB package speed allowed for downloading/torrent with no limit on data? Any personal experience would be grateful for.

Installation costs tend to be the primary start-up cost as the first month's payment may not be due for up to 59 days, and I think they give you the modem for free. Installation costs can be variable depending on the exact physical location and situation, and these might range from zero up to several thousand baht. I assume you understand that you may need to satisfy a residency requirement in order to enter into a contract with 3BB?

Maybe best to chat with neighbors to see what their experience was with 3BB, or just ask 3BB for a quote?

Do you have 3BB ?,dont think "thousands of baht" set up in bangkok. Website in thai seems to refer to something under 1000 baht for modem

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kingalfred

We manage many customer sites with 3BB DSL, and while most of those have been free installs (new houses in recently constructed housing developments in suburban Bangkok), I did quote a range from zero (baht) up to several thousand baht, with this latter figure being based on my recollection of the dozens of similar posts here over the years. By installation, I specifically mean pulling the wire into your domicile from the nearest currently available access point, rather than any additional fees for equipment or service in advance.

Our most recent install, ~ 90 days ago, waived the installation fee ( which was mentioned as a 1,500 baht "promotional credit" ), and required one month service paid upon installation, I think 963 baht incl VAT for 13/1 service. This customer was using a modem/router/WiFI AP which we supplied, but my recollection of the price list I saw was maybe 100 baht deposit for a basic free /modem/router, and then a few other modem/router/WiFi options for purchase for ~ 700/1,000 baht.

I think you should first determine if 3BB is available in your location.

edited to add: I pinged a colleague and was informed that the "standard" 3BB internet access installation price is 3,585 baht, but that this is negotiable down to zero, and anywhere in between, based on the individual physical location/situation.

http://www.3bb.co.th/promotion/en/6mb.php

Edited by lomatopo

The whole company sucks. Because a foreigner cannot pay monthly, They have to pay 6 months in advance Another example of discrimination against us

So the 4,450 baht figure is made up primarily for the six-month pre-payment (3,790 incl VAT), plus what, another 650 for a router? It almost sounds like the actual installation fee is zero?

Other than coming up with the cash now, this doesn't seem totally unreasonable? I mean, you're going to have the service for a minimum of 12 months, and this saves the hassle of making six payments.

So the 4,450 baht figure is made up primarily for the six-month pre-payment (3,790 incl VAT), plus what, another 650 for a router? It almost sounds like the actual installation fee is zero?

Other than coming up with the cash now, this doesn't seem totally unreasonable? I mean, you're going to have the service for a minimum of 12 months, and this saves the hassle of making six payments.

thanks for your opinion , but it,s not what I call "reasonable" .We can all decide

The whole company sucks. Because a foreigner cannot pay monthly, They have to pay 6 months in advance Another example of discrimination against us

As has been posted many times, there is no requirement for foreigners to pay more than 1 month in advance.

Branch managers get a bonus for 1 year sales, and some will lie to foreigners in order to get the commission.

A simple phone call to head office soon puts paid to the scam.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Indeed, I know a lot of people with 3BB. I'm thinking about switching over myself because True is pissing me off. Their service is fine, but their "transparent proxy" is messing with my ability to watch US content on my Roku. I don't know anyone who has been forced to pay 6 months in advance. They all pay on a monthly basis. Doing otherwise would be nuts given the changing nature of ISPs in Thailand. My neighbor just had it installed. He had 0 installation fees, free router, nothing down, and two months free. True wanted a small fortune. Call around and play them off of each other to get the best deal.

Yes its six month advance of internet service,they do not allow " non thais" to use the pay monthly option.

When I got 3BB it was possible to pay monthly with a Work Permit.

I can understand why they have this pay up front rule, if they did not it would be very easy for tourists to just get a free install, use it for a month and then leave the country without fulfilling the contract.