Can I send stuff to the U.S. via EMS?

praglen

Absolutely, you'll have a choice of sending your box by air or sea. The airmail is fast. Less than a few weeks or sometimes a week. THAILAND Post provides boxes and everything to ship your items. Good Luck!

http://track.thailandpost.com/trackinternet/Default.aspx?lang=en

You can also download their android and apple apps.

THAI | ENG | Help | Contact Us

Search for an Item

Welcome to Thailand Post's Track & Trace system. This system is designed for customers in order to track item delivery in Thailand and International. Customers can follow the result of searching request in very easy way. The step is started from input item number which show on your receipt, then click the "Track" button.

http://www.thailandguru.com/thailand-postal-office-couriers.html

The Thai postal system is very reliable, efficient and economical.

A common service used is EMS or Express Mail Service, which requires a signature by the recipient. The EMS service is offered both domestically and internationally.

For sending packages overseas, you can do the packing at the post office, as they have a packing counter where you can buy packing materials at a very economical rate, and get assistance. If you are shipping anything in a box, then the standard procedure is to tie a string around the box so that it can be opened and peeked into by customs to verify that what's on the customs slip is what's in the box.

If you don't yet have an address at which you wish to receive packages, then you can receive packages on hold at most branches of the post office. This is called the "poste restante" service. You should ask the sender to PRINT your name clearly, and underline it, too. It will probably be filed under your surname, but sometimes will be under the first name.

Courier Services - International

There are several established international couriers. The main ones are listed below. Others can be found by visiting outlet stores around Bangkok such as Mailboxes, etc., which handle outgoing packages for most or all of the courier services, are located in convenient places around Bangkok, and can help you with packing. The major courier services will also pick up packages from you if you call them. If you have no fixed address in Bangkok, you can have packages shipped to the main office and held for pickup. Make sure you give the sender your phone number, and get back from them the package's airway bill number. You can track the location of the package by Internet.

Note: When you receive shipments, you may have to pay customs duties on them.

Note: When you send something, you let the courier seal the package, as the content must be inspected before it can be shipped.

DHL

02-207-0600

Grand Amarin Tower, Floor 22

1550 New Petchburi Rd.

Makkasan

Bangkok

FedEx

02-367-3222

Green Tower, Floor 8

Rama 4 Rd.

Bangkok

UPS

02-712-3300

16/1 Sukhumvit soi 44/1

Bangkok

• Like 1

EMS, yes, but costly and not really that much faster than regular airmail service.

Check out their cost for REGISTERED mail, might be a tad slower but also has the same tracking service on Thailand, up to departure at Swampy, then again in the U.S. when it gets to a regional USPS post office. Less expensive than EMS.

Mac

• Like 1

Excellent info from Ocean268. And, yes, think about Thanyaburi Mac's suggestion.

Because I have returned a Kindle that way, I will add the recommendation make sure you also insure your item. If you expect to get some kind of refund from Amazon, you need the assurance you care covered in case something happens to the shipment.

• Like 2

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. The reason I want to send the stuff by EMS(vs. air mail) is the tracking, although I could, as you say, have it registered. Amazon has agreed to reimburse me for the postage(time of delivery is NOT important), so I don't have to send it via UPS, FedEX, or DHL. And I'll insure it.

Yes, as (I think) was said somewhere in all of the above, if you send by EMS you can track it all the way on the Thai P.O. tracking service.

http://track.thailandpost.co.th/trackinterneT/DEFAULT.ASPX

If you send by Registered it will only track in Thailand and the USPS tracking service sucks big time. If it works, it's so-so, quite often woefully late in its display of status and a lot of the time things just don't get tracked. Of course, the Thai P.O. depends on the USPS to track the package, but on more than one occasion I found the info on the Thai P.O. tracker and on the USPS tracker it drew a blank.

In terms of speed, when something sent EMS reaches the US, if it needs to travel inland and away from the port of entry it will demonstrate the true meaning of "snail mail," so at that point there's no advantage to EMS, Registered or carrier pigeon, but the Thai P.O. will at least track its progress ... assuming the pigeon goes through a scanner from time to time.

The cheapest way with tracking is via EMS - registered does not have true tracking.

Registered mail is not as safe as EMS although both are safe - I use both often and I also use DHL.

DHL is faster and safer than EMS but more expensive if you don't have a contract price. I mention this as sometimes small shipping offices have contarct prices and are cheaper than EMS.

Also with DHL you typically don't need to add insurance - I never do and have not yet lost a package. But I have lost packages with registered mail and typically it is not easy to get your money back.

I sent a package to the US a couple of weeks ago and they had it in 5 days, it isnt heap though, around 1000 baht a kg. They also have SAL which is a bit cheaper and only a few days longer or you can just register it and send it airmail but this will take around 2 weeks.

I sent a very important package by EMS from Hua Hin to Houston and it never arrived. They promised 4 days but a week later it still hadn't got there. The reason I did it was because I read on here that EMS is faster than Fedex or DHL. Well it wasn't for me and it caused a big problem.

Amazon has agreed to reimburse me for the postage(time of delivery is NOT important), so I don't have to send it via UPS, FedEX, or DHL.

That's interesting... So did you end up getting a defective tablet sent from Amazon? And now they're willing to pay the postage to have it shipped from Thailand back to the U.S.?

I buy a lot from Amazon, but have yet to have a defective item of any significance. But I've always wondered what Amazon's response would be, if the situation ever arrived.

Was the tablet originally sent direct to the U.S. or to Thailand? In my situation, my packages are always sent to my address in the U.S. and then forwarded here by a third party sender. So I'm doubting Amazon would be willing to cover international shipping on what started as a domestic order.

But, I'd be interested to hear just what happened in your case.

Bad news, good news. I have had to return 3 E-readers to Amazon because they all died. Instead of this being an E-reader, it's an ASUS tablet, purchased thru Amazon. In the case of the Kindles,they shipped them to me in Thailand via UPS. In this case, the labels - not prepaid, areaddressed Amazon in the states. They agreed to credit my

Amazon account,once they receive the damaged non-functioning tablet. I asked them to send me a prepackaged label, since the mailing cost from Thailand to the US. is substantial. They instructed me to send it and to give them the mailing receipt and they'll reimburse me by crediting the postage to my Amazon account. That's why I only buy electronics thru Amazon, irregardless who the original seller is!

Thanks for that clarification. I'm surprised -- but pleased! -- to hear that at least in your case, Amazon is willing to pick up the international postage for returning a damaged tablet back to Amazon in the U.S.

I only had one remotely comparable past episode with Amazon, not on electronics, but on a bulk food item where they sent me the correct item but it had a soon approaching expiration date. In that case, explaining that I was outside the U.S., they just told me they'd refund my purchase price and I could use as much of the item as I had time to use, and toss the remainder. And I was fine with that. But that wasn't a $100 to $200 tablet!

As long as I've been buying stuff(mostly electronics) on the Internet - maybe 5-7 years, I have never encountered a customer-loyal company like Amazon and I can't imagine anyone dealing with Amazon to have a dissimilar experience. It's amazing to me that more companies aren't like Amazon. Home Depot began with the "return any item, no questions asked; just bring it and your receipt back" philosophy and that's one of the reasons it dominated the home improvement industry for so many years...