How accurate is the unemployment rate in Thailand

WilliamCave

Totally agree. Some of these people think they are doing people a favour employing them "even at the increased minimum wage". 300baht <deleted>!!!

They need to get real, stop being so greedy and exploiting people. Pay a bit more, take a little less profit and enjoy the satisfaction.

But no, some have the psychological problems that drive them to compete, compete, get rich, get richer with no thought apart from this.

Guess what guys - you never see a tow-bar on a hearse.

The price of labor is determined by two fellows named Mr Supply and Mr. Demand. Fail to listen to them and you have a failed company. Go go dancers or rice farmers. Same two guys determine the rate of pay.

You are right about the laws of supply and demand.

In a perfect market economy.

But since there is no such thing as a perfect free market economy, you are wrong.

Ever heard of Malthus?

Trying to alter the market economy will kill a business or country. Too many examples to list. Price controls create black markets. But you just want to start an off topic argument.

Why no answer to my on topic questions?

What do you use the unemployment rate for? Why is it important to you?

If you don't. Who does and why is the rate important to them?

I use the unemployment rate in order to try to understand the situation in the country that I live in.

Others may use the unemployment rate as one of the factors in their decision making, f ex investment.

I am sure that those others are aware of the fact that an unemployment rate of x% in Thailand is not the same as an unemployment rate of x% in a western country.

YOU use the thai unemployment rate in your crusade against Thai bashing.

When a poster doubts the official statistics of ALL COUNTRIES, you deduce that this includes THAI statistics, and ergo it is Thai bashing.

And the idea that statistics - even when based on the same definitions and methodology - can often not be compared internationally, is clearly way above your comprehension.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i would say its true you couldnt trust the government,,

jake

Do you walk across the street on a green light? Do you trust the doctor trained in the government school to deliver your babies? Do you trust the government to control air traffic?

Do you trust the government inspectors to insure safe food?

Who or what determines what you trust and what you do not trust? You?

i wouldnt trust the government inspectors to insure safe food,

the green lights a bit dodgy too,,lol

i did trust the mid wife,,

but we are on about unemployment figours,,

we are going to have to agree to dissagree,

you see different to me,

jake

jake

Do you walk across the street on a green light? Do you trust the doctor trained in the government school to deliver your babies? Do you trust the government to control air traffic?

I do not trust green lights. I still look left and right before crossing.

I do not blindly trust doctors, whenever I can,I will get a second opinion in important matters.

I do not trust air traffick control. I just lost a week holidays in Italy because they started an unannounced strike. I do not trust them, but I take my chances.

I most certainly do not trust the government health inspections. Mad cows, horse, pigs anusses and all that.....

I trust what I can check, or what is checked by people that I trust.

You seem to presume that "People In High Places" have the best interest of the country in mind. How naive.

• Like 1

And the idea that statistics - even when based on the same definitions and methodology - can often not be compared internationally, is clearly way above your comprehension.

You wrote, "way above your comprehension." You must have been quite a teacher.

Insults are far too frequent here. I'll no longer continue the discussion with you.

You wrote, "way above your comprehension." You must have been quite a teacher.

Insults are far too frequent here. I'll no longer continue the discussion with you.

You learned a lesson: Never discuss with a "conspiracy nut"! (your words)

jake

i wouldnt trust the government inspectors to insure safe food,

the green lights a bit dodgy too,,lol

i did trust the mid wife,,

but we are on about unemployment figours,,

we are going to have to agree to dissagree,

you see different to me,

jake

You trust the medical establishment. You trust the food (or you wouldn't let your children eat it) You trust the basic infrastructure in Thailand or you wouldn't live here. So where do you draw the line? Your children eat the food. It might be poisoned baby food like in China. You trust the airport or you would not land in an airplane. So where do you draw the line? Why not trust the office of statistics? Have you ever met them? Have you read what they do or how they do it? How can you say you don't trust people who you have never met and don't know what they do?

Whatever figures are quoted, add on another 2-300,000 to for the monks.

Why would you do that? Monks perform a service and get paid for it. Hairdressers make hairstyles and get paid for it. What is the difference both things only make the person giving the money feel good and have nothing do do with reality.

Yes but only after they shave the monks head!

Unemployment Rate in Thailand is reported by the Bank of Thailand. Detailed information about it is held at the IMF.

Billions of dollars are invested every day based on these statistics among others. However 4 posters in Thai Visa who have a net worth of .00000001% of the investment value of the above organizations feel the statistics are in error. They don't know what the real statistics are however but they know they must be wrong.

Or http://www.indexmundi.com/thailand/unemployment_rate.html They use the CIA world fact book. However it must be said that a retired bank teller from the Midwestern USA does not agree with these numbers. He does not know what the real numbers are but since a lady he met on the INTERNET Dates a Poppin site lost her job they must be wrong.

Indexmundi

Unemployment rate: 0.7% (2012 est.)

0.7% (2011 est.)

Definition: This entry contains the percent of the labor force that is without jobs. Substantial underemployment might be noted.

Source: CIA World Factbook - Unless otherwise noted, information in this page is accurate as of December 6, 2013

Thailand has a BBBB or Baaa1 rating from the credit rating agencies but according to a recent 2 AM exit poll of xxxx Plaza patrons, Moodys, Fitch and S&P don't know nuthing.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=th&v=74 gives a country by country comparison.

So in other words you haven't got a clue either. No body knows, it is impossible to estimate because there is nothing to compare it against like there is in developed nations. I.E welfare, compulsory census data. Enforcement of tax declaration for the self employed. Below 7/11 and family mart nothing is declared.

Unemployment Rate in Thailand is reported by the Bank of Thailand. Detailed information about it is held at the IMF.

Billions of dollars are invested every day based on these statistics among others. However 4 posters in Thai Visa who have a net worth of .00000001% of the investment value of the above organizations feel the statistics are in error. They don't know what the real statistics are however but they know they must be wrong.

Or http://www.indexmundi.com/thailand/unemployment_rate.html They use the CIA world fact book. However it must be said that a retired bank teller from the Midwestern USA does not agree with these numbers. He does not know what the real numbers are but since a lady he met on the INTERNET Dates a Poppin site lost her job they must be wrong.

Indexmundi

0.7% (2011 est.)

Definition: This entry contains the percent of the labor force that is without jobs. Substantial underemployment might be noted.

Source: CIA World Factbook - Unless otherwise noted, information in this page is accurate as of December 6, 2013

Thailand has a BBBB or Baaa1 rating from the credit rating agencies but according to a recent 2 AM exit poll of xxxx Plaza patrons, Moodys, Fitch and S&P don't know nuthing.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=th&v=74 gives a country by country comparison.

So in other words you haven't got a clue either. No body knows, it is impossible to estimate because there is nothing to compare it against like there is in developed nations. I.E welfare, compulsory census data. Enforcement of tax declaration for the self employed. Below 7/11 and family mart nothing is declared.

I know and I have a big clue and so will you if you read the following link. I believe this is the 6th time I have posted it. http://web.nso.go.th/

Thailand does a monthly survey the same as the USA and many other countries. It is more accurate than the claimant system as you can read in "Issues with Claimant count"

http://www.economicshelp.org/macroeconomics/unemployment/measuring_unemployment/

To save you reading through the whole thread. The posters after being proved wrong one by one that Thailand does have a sophisticated measuring system for unemployment have gone back to 1. Not in my village or 2. All Thais lie about everything. 3. All statistics lie. 4 Off topic personal insults.

I hope that brings you up to date.

Edit to add. About your comment about developed nations. The Australian Bureau of Statistics Unemployment estimates are obtained by mostly telephone interviews. Households selected for the ABS Survey are interviewed each month for eight months, with one-eighth of the sample being replaced each month. The first interview is conducted face-to-face. Subsequent interviews are then conducted by telephone.

Eh Wot? Did you think they actually asked everyone who weren't working? Cor blimy no love aven't done that in years!

For the sake of brevity when disagreeing with this post you could simply say #1----4.

Edited by thailiketoo

Indexmundi

0.7% (2011 est.)

I know and I have a big clue and so will you if you read the following link. I believe this is the 6th time I have posted it. http://web.nso.go.th/

Thailand does a monthly survey the same as the USA and many other countries. It is more accurate than the claimant system as you can read in "Issues with Claimant count"

I love that one.

So, a system that generates numbers by counting how many people are claiming benefit is less accurate than a system who employs temps to stop people on the street and ask them if they are working or not.

1. That requires the temps to actually perform the task.

2. It also requires people telling the truth.

I could also call in to question the numbers of people claiming benefit in the UK, how many say they are unemployed, but take cash-in-hand work.

Hmmmm.

Statistics.

Meaningless.... and organisations like the World Bank, IMF etc know this, they know which numbers can be fudged, they also know how numbers can be worked using selective criteria.

Edited by Thaddeus

Indexmundi

0.7% (2011 est.)

http://www.economicshelp.org/macroeconomics/unemployment/measuring_unemployment/

To save you reading through the whole thread. The posters after being proved wrong one by one that Thailand does have a sophisticated measuring system for unemployment have gone back to 1. Not in my village or 2. All Thais lie about everything. 3. All statistics lie. 4 Off topic personal insults.

Edit to add. About your comment about developed nations. The Australian Bureau of Statistics Unemployment estimates are obtained by mostly telephone interviews. Households selected for the ABS Survey are interviewed each month for eight months, with one-eighth of the sample being replaced each month. The first interview is conducted face-to-face. Subsequent interviews are then conducted by telephone.

Eh Wot? Did you think they actually asked everyone who weren't working? Cor blimy no love aven't done that in years!

For the sake of brevity when disagreeing with this post you could simply say #1----4.

Cant count people who do not pay any tax and are self employed without any form of registration. Here pal these are in the millions.

"Thailand has a population of around 70 million. According to the National Statistics Office, the 20-and-over workforce comprises about 38 million people. But the Revenue Department only has approximately 10 million people registered to pay income tax. Of these, around 6.87 million do not have to pay because their annual income is less than 150,000 baht per year.

So that leaves a little more than three million people actually paying income tax".

http://asiancorrespondent.com/110344/income-tax-equality-and-the-thai-budget/

If Thailand had a bloated welfare system where some people think the government are mean to restrict benefit claims to less than 1,600,000 Thb per year then there would be very high unemployment here and most people would be living in poverty as loosely defined here:

How poverty in the United Kingdom is defined and measured

There is no one definition of poverty. The most common measure, as used in the Child Poverty Act 2010, is household income below 60 percent of median income. The median is such an income that exactly a half of households earn more than that and the other half earns less.

In the year 2004/2005, the 60% threshold was worth £100 per week for a single adult, £183 per week for a two adult household, £186 per week for a single adult living with two children and £268 per week for two adults living with two children. This sum of money is after income tax and national insurance have been deducted from earnings and after council tax, rent, mortgage and water charges have been paid. It is therefore what a household has available to spend on everything else it needs.

Nice little earner for doing jack!

Just my 50 satang worth.

Mmmm, that also means the UK admit all pensioners that live on the state pension alone are in poverty (take into account inflation since 2004/2005) and they have to pay all the council tax, rent, utilities etc. One reason why Thailand is an attractive place to retire to?post-192685-0-46329500-1401754163_thumb.

Edited by watso63

We will never accept any numbers unless they are recorded by the unemployment office when the unemployed person first signs into collect benefits, that's how the stats are recorded, apparently!

I think more than 20% have no work , fam. take care them.there is no registration at all.

Does the USA or Australia do it that way?

Indexmundi

0.7% (2011 est.)

I love that one.

So, a system that generates numbers by counting how many people are claiming benefit is less accurate than a system who employs temps to stop people on the street and ask them if they are working or not.

1. That requires the temps to actually perform the task.

2. It also requires people telling the truth.

I could also call in to question the numbers of people claiming benefit in the UK, how many say they are unemployed, but take cash-in-hand work.

Hmmmm.

Statistics.

Meaningless.... and organisations like the World Bank, IMF etc know this, they know which numbers can be fudged, they also know how numbers can be worked using selective criteria.

Indexmundi

0.7% (2011 est.)

Cant count people who do not pay any tax and are self employed without any form of registration. Here pal these are in the millions.

The survey counts them. You would have known that if you read it. As it counts them in the USA and Australia. Pal.

there is no unemployment in thailand, especially issan, unemployment is a western culture word for bludgers and over educated drop outs, in a broken and sick society, and there are millions of them. in thailand if you do not work you do not eat , and if you do not eat you do not shit and if you dont shit you die, great system, live in the country and see who does not work, there is always work but today people want to do what they want, not what is available