Bowe Bergdahl release: US parties clash on Afghan deal

webfact

His hometown cancelled the celebrations when they found out he had simply laid down his weapon and walked away from his unit asking locals to be put in contact with the Taliban. He did this voluntarily. He is a deserter. What part of this do you liberals not understand? Others on this forum have suggested he is a traitor. A a courts martial will decide that issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thats not factual information. That is "spin".

His hometown canceled the celebrations because they were worried that the event had become heavily politicized and they did not want to risk having a conflict from the arrival of nutjobs inflamed by their hatred of Obama to the point that they have lost the ability to think rationally.

And why must you tuen everything into a partisan liberal vs conservative event? I am not a liberal. I was someone who sickened to see the treatment our returning VN soldiers received and I am incredulous to see it happen again today because of politics.

• Like 1

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His hometown canceled the celebrations because they were worried that the event had become heavily politicized

That is the official reason anyway. I'm pretty sure that the things that have come out about Bergdahl's activities in the last few days, influenced his hometown a LOT. whistling.gif

As far as being partisan goes, thou doth protest too much and too often. Another case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

His hometown canceled the celebrations because they were worried that the event had become heavily politicized

That is the official reason anyway. I'm pretty sure that the things that have come out about Bergdahl's activities in the last few days, influenced his hometown a LOT. whistling.gif

As far as being partisan goes, thou doth protest too much and too often. Another case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I am embarrassed by the actions of my Republican Party. I can remember a time when they thought about what was best for America and not what was best for their personal political agendas. I remember a time before all these electronic gadgets when Republicans used to be the calm and rational group of Americans. I don't understand this group think mentality that has taken over the Party since the Bush 43 era. I never thought I would see the day that a returning soldier would ever be treated like this again. The statements I have read by soldiers from his same base don't even hold the animosity many of you have.

I don't understand this venom that has taken over America.

I don't like Obama. I didn't lime Bush Jr but I thought his father was a good man. I liked Reagan and I believed in his illegal trade of weapons for American captives (remember that one? Google Ollie North if you are too young). I didn't like Carter. I did like Nixon. Ofcourse, like everyone, I liked Ike. The fact is America has survived bad presidents before. It used to be that after an election the losing side put away their differences and worked at compromise so America could move forward. All I see and hear today is hatred and obstructionism and partisan manipulation.

But youre right, I am done believing that discussions do any good. I ask your forgiveness, I am a product of an earlier time in American history...back when being American was more important that what politics one harbored.

Edited by ClutchClark

By the way what is your military background? Mine is retired US Army with 30 years active duty including 4 years as a First Sergeant and 7 years as a Command Sergeant Major. My last assignment was at the Brigade level.

Oh my! My first encounter with the equivalent of a CMS was two weeks into basic training. The result was two days in the stockade. Of course being in the stockade allowed me to meet some of the really important people on base and the day after my release from the stockade I was re-outfitted by my new friends with clothing and shoes that actually fit properly. Over my next several years in the big green machine (this was back in the days of OG-107) I was fortunate to have some sergeant, but never again one of such high rank, allow me to visit and spend some quality rest time in the stockade of every base that I was stationed at. But honestly, Mac Hyman said it best.

We now have yet another Democrat that can't seem to find anything that makes any "difference".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry Reid on Bergdahl Controversy: 'What Difference Does it Make?'
1:54 PM, JUN 5, 2014 • BY DANIEL HALPER
A reporter asked, "How come it seems that you were the only one who got a heads-up the day before?"
Senate majority leader Reid answered, "I'm not sure I'm the only one. I mean, this is making a big deal over nothing. The whole deal, is it Friday or Saturday? What difference does it make? What difference does it make?"
  • Like 1

What difference does it make Chuck? Other than for petty GOP point scoring?

It probably makes no difference to a Brit living under the rules of a Constitutional Monarchy.

It makes a great deal of difference in a Republic.

PS: Read the thread title. It is about US political parties clashing. I thought you would be proud of me for not referencing Reid's comment to one recently made by Hillary Clinton.

A few years ago a traitor like bergdahl would have been executed. Not traded for class A war criminals (two of whom are wanted by the UN.)

Could you provide some examples of all the US soldiers that have been executed. I can only find two examples--once in the Civil War and once in WWII.

Neither occurred a few years.

BTW, how long do you anticipate the remaining Gitmo detainees to be incarcerated? One year? The rest of their lives?

What if those detainees are to be released over the next few years like the 100's that already have been? Then isn't it a good bit of horse trading to get some value from their release?

Just asking?

I wish Ronald Reagan were here, now there was a President who could break the law to save hostages and still receive the support of the American people.

I wish Ronald Reagan were here, now there was a President who could break the law to save hostages and still receive the support of the American people.

Perhaps we can once again create a movement to get Ollie North to run for president in 2016.

• Like 2

What difference does it make Chuck? Other than for petty GOP point scoring?

It probably makes no difference to a Brit living under the rules of a Constitutional Monarchy.

It makes a great deal of difference in a Republic.

PS: Read the thread title. It is about US political parties clashing. I thought you would be proud of me for not referencing Reid's comment to one recently made by Hillary Clinton.

It makes a difference to the republicans. It doesn't make a difference to most normal people.

It isn't only Republicans that are upset with the administration's handling of this fiasco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Evidence of ‘Credible Threat’ to Bergdahl: Feinstein
By Kathleen Hunter Jun 7, 2014 11:00 AM GMT
The Senate Intelligence Committee chairwoman said she’s not convinced there was a “credible threat” against the life of freed Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl that motivated the White House to keep its plans secret.
“I don’t think there was a credible threat,” U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein said in an interview yesterday for Bloomberg Television’s “Political Capital with Al Hunt” airing this weekend. “I have no information that there was.”
Senators were told at a June 4 classified briefing that President Barack Obama’s administration had received indications that Bergdahl’s life could be jeopardized if the detainee exchange proceedings were disclosed or derailed, according to a government official who sought anonymity.
Feinstein, a California Democrat, is among lawmakers who criticized the administration’s decision not to adhere to a law requiring 30 days’ notice to Congress before releasing detainees from the Guantanamo Bay facility in Cuba.
  • Like 2

It isn't only Republicans that are upset with the administration's handling of this fiasco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Senate Intelligence Committee chairwoman said she’s not convinced there was a “credible threat” against the life of freed Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl that motivated the White House to keep its plans secret.
“I don’t think there was a credible threat,” U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein said in an interview yesterday for Bloomberg Television’s “Political Capital with Al Hunt” airing this weekend. “I have no information that there was.”
Senators were told at a June 4 classified briefing that President Barack Obama’s administration had received indications that Bergdahl’s life could be jeopardized if the detainee exchange proceedings were disclosed or derailed, according to a government official who sought anonymity.
Feinstein, a California Democrat, is among lawmakers who criticized the administration’s decision not to adhere to a law requiring 30 days’ notice to Congress before releasing detainees from the Guantanamo Bay facility in Cuba.

And for the first time since I don't know when, the Republicans think something Feinstein said should be taken seriously.

I love it.

tongue.png

And for the first time since I don't know when, the Republicans think something Feinstein said should be taken seriously.

I love it.

tongue.png

It's the first time since I don't know when that Feinstein said anything that could be taken seriously.whistling.gif

• Like 2

It's the first time since I don't know when that Feinstein said anything that could be taken seriously.whistling.gif

She has said something else that can be taken seriously. She usually backs off when she challenges the Obama regime narrative, but not this time.

Appearing on CBS’s Face the Nation this morning, Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein contradicted Secretary of State John Kerry‘s assertion that the exchange of five Gitmo detainees for U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has not put U.S. troops abroad at higher risk.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/dianne-feinstein-contradicts-kerrys-claim-about-safety-after-bergdahl-swap/

• Like 2

Yeah, but those other dozen or more soldiers who walked off their post and were never charged with desertion have one very significant difference from Bergdahl.

Not one of them had the wrath of the rabid obama haters brought down upon them.

since some are making comments on drug use, might be interested in the article below that also talks to heroin use by some Western forces in Afghanistan

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/20/afghan-military-recruits-found-dealing-drugs-to-us-soldiers-army-documents-show/

Edited by simple1