12 die in van, truck crash in Chaiyaphum province

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These NGV vehicles are real deathtraps. The compressed natural gas fuel is much more likely to leak and explode in an accident than gasoline cars, as it is stored under pressure.

Diesel is the safest fuel, as it needs extreme heat to ignite.

Does it say anywhere what the fuel type is ??

This kind of minibus has no space for a LPG or NGV tank unless you put it inside the vehicle, which is crazy of course.

Looking at the photos I see no evidence of a gas tank explosion, the safety valve would shut off the flow of gas immediately in an accident so unless the tank exploded (very unlikely) it's difficult to see how LPG/NGV (if fitted at all) could make much difference.

Minibuses like this are almost all fitted with LPG/NGV tanks. It is to save on fuel costs and almost certainly the cheapest system is used to save further money.

• Like 1

Wow. I bet none of us saw something like this coming! How can such things happen with such high safety and driver standards?
"more die in USA than Thailand." got some numbers off Wiki (I know, I know). Thailand 25k per year USA 35k. USA is 5x greater population. Also I don't think they count here if die away from scene, like at hospital.

• Like 2

You see the whole 'bursting into flames' thing here a lot in these accidents. Being trapped, injured and burning to death in flames, not a nice way to go. sad.png

Sure: a natural and inevitable consequence of diesel vans being converted to run on NGV.

Diesel and NGV are inherently different in case of a crash.

I hate to say it, but it seems Thais think its Karma, and saves on fuel as well as cremation costs

RIP

When is the General going to do something about this? This country is an absolute disgrace when it comes to driving and awareness. Driving last night in a crowded area, l came across so many bikes without lights, going down wrong side of road and cutting across in front of me to make right hand turns, etc etc.

• Like 1

Banzai99, on 02 Jun 2014 - 15:04, said:

3,500 People die everyday on the worlds roads and 50 Million people are injured every year.

To hear ThaiVisa members , one would think accidents only happen in Thailand, more die in USA than Thailand.

USA, with all the brilliant drivers, harsh policing, great roads, hard driving tests, stiff penalties for drink driving, speeding etc, still they rack up horrendous figures, mostly caused by Alcohol and speeding.

Just a reality check lads.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2012/may/02/traffic-accidents-biggest-killer-young-people

Sorry Banzai. You really have noidea what you are talking about. I have read all the replies to your statistical quote, and agree with everyone of them whole heartedly

• Like 1

Does it say anywhere what the fuel type is ??

This kind of minibus has no space for a LPG or NGV tank unless you put it inside the vehicle, which is crazy of course.

Looking at the photos I see no evidence of a gas tank explosion, the safety valve would shut off the flow of gas immediately in an accident so unless the tank exploded (very unlikely) it's difficult to see how LPG/NGV (if fitted at all) could make much difference.

Read post 27, last sentence.

All these minivans that are used as taxi's run on either LPG or NGV, the cylinders are usually fitted

in the back luggage compartment.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about they stop paying drivers based on how much driving they do? Maybe then they won't feel the need to push themselves beyond their limit.

Safest way is to STOP THAIS DRIVING !!!!

3,500 People die everyday on the worlds roads and 50 Million people are injured every year.

To hear ThaiVisa members , one would think accidents only happen in Thailand, more die in USA than Thailand.

USA, with all the brilliant drivers, harsh policing, great roads, hard driving tests, stiff penalties for drink driving, speeding etc, still they rack up horrendous figures, mostly caused by Alcohol and speeding.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2012/may/02/traffic-accidents-biggest-killer-young-people

It might be just me but the population of the USA is greater than Thailand; therefore the likelihood of more people being killed is greater.

So yes, more die in the USA than Thailand but your analysis might well be flawed.

Edited by Johnnie99

A reality check. Have you lived here long?

Do you drive here, or even look out of a taxi?

Does anyone think any government really cares about road safety?

If they do why then allow cars to be sold that go twice as fast and more, than their speed limit.

Would take them no time at all to pass a law fitting speed limiters on all cars.......

62 mph I think it is in the UK for a mini van...........Thailand could easily do the same.

Would take time to phase it it in but it could be done.

The thing is who would then buy a Ferrari if it cant go any faster than a Nissan?.

All about money nothing to do with saving human lives.

RIP to those unfortunates but they won't be the last by along shot

13 burn to death in multiple vehicle pileup

Police suspect the van driver had dozed off while driving as his vehicle was not in its proper lane. (MCOT online news)

when are they ever in the right lane?

They are all too often in the right lane - that's the problem.

Rarely are they in the correct lane.

• Like 1

16 people in a van?

Made a trip in one of these in the PI last year. You wouldn't believe how many people can be crammed in once you get people sharing seats, kids or even smaller adults sitting on laps, even standing once all the jump seats are taken. Then the driver stops to let someone off, and half the van has to empty out to let the one out. Then reload/reconfigure... A few klicks later, repeat...

Sometimes, there just aren't many transport options.

I can definitely see people being trapped and burned to death in one of these.

How about they stop paying drivers based on how much driving they do? Maybe then they won't feel the need to push themselves beyond their limit.

an idea is maybe pay them on how many are able to ride again.

Everybody keeps saying how wonderful the new leaders of this country are ! Well maybe they might think about the law - and by that I mean the everyday laws that affect every day people ! We'll take the new bus laws for example -anyone out there noticed buses being equipped with seat belts, anybody noticed vans driving within the speedlimit, anyone noticed pick ups actually sticking to their lanes!?? Until basic law and order is restored you haven't got my support! It would seem this country is great at making laws and awful at enforcing them!!!

• Like 2

These NGV vehicles are real deathtraps. The compressed natural gas fuel is much more likely to leak and explode in an accident than gasoline cars, as it is stored under pressure.

Diesel is the safest fuel, as it needs extreme heat to ignite.

It's the LPG that is dangerous and explodes on impact not NGV. NGV is much safer and usually does not explode.

To much of this is happening,it has to stop

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And how do you propose that should be done when the BiB sit in their boxes or stations watching TV.

They don't have the commitment, the will to do anything AND, they certainly do not have a brain amongst them "mai mee sathi"