buying travelers cheques in current.

do you know a branch of any bank that is currently selling travelers cheques? quotes from three different thai banks today: "no we dont sell travelers cheques, no we dont open foreign currency accounts, no we dont send money overseas. no dont know where you can do this" not the first time they have closed/stopped the foreign exchange of thai baht.

looking any bkk to east preferably not pattaya thanks.

Edited by 4dyg

do you know a branch of any bank that is currently selling travelers cheques? quotes from three different thai banks today: "no we dont sell travelers cheques, no we dont open foreign currency accounts, no we dont send money overseas" not the first time they have closed/stopped the foreign exchange of thai baht.

Try to contact Amex directly. They used to sell them at their HQ in BKK. Not sue if they still do but worth a try if you need. The issue they might have is that you would like to exchange to a different currency and this is not that easy without work and work permit.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

do you know a branch of any bank that is currently selling travelers cheques? quotes from three different thai banks today: "no we dont sell travelers cheques, no we dont open foreign currency accounts, no we dont send money overseas" not the first time they have closed/stopped the foreign exchange of thai baht.

Try to contact Amex directly. They used to sell them at their HQ in BKK. Not sue if they still do but worth a try if you need. The issue they might have is that you would like to exchange to a different currency and this is not that easy without work and work permit.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes amex hq is worth a try.

a lot of retirees are not going to be pleased that they cant get their money out according to your post.

i have bought T/C in thai before but have also experience difficulties when there are "political " issues in the past. bank i bought from before were helpful but in the south, now am in the east.

will contact amex tomorrow. thanks. elsewhere still appreciated. as i think i did ring amex once before and they said no if i recall correctly.

I do not know if Amex Thai web site is up to date but this is from their web site:

http://www.americanexpress.com/thailand/en/personal/travel/tc/default.shtml

The following banks sell American Express Travellers Cheques in Thailand:

Local Commercial Banks:

• BANGKOK BANK
  • BANK OF AYUDHYA
  • BANK THAI
  • CITIBANK
  • HSBC
  • KASIKORNBANK
  • KRUNG THAI BANK
  • MEGA INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL BANK
  • SIAM CITY BANK
  • SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK
  • STANDARD CHARTERED BANK
  • THAI MILITARY BANK
  • UNITED OVERSEAS BANK (THAI)

As we are always adding more Foreign Exchange Booths for your convenience, please contact American Express Travellers Cheques Service at 0-2273-5296 or Siam Commercial Bank at 0-2544-5000 for a more update list of booths.

i think siam commercial bank is the best bet. they are who i have bought from before, the three major thai banks i asked yesterday are on the list. but it is definitely branch specific.

last i went to hsbc it was: no we only deal with corporates here. standard chartered and UOB are also difficult (i have never got what i want on approaching different of these on a few occasions in the past, just too difficult to deal with or flat refusal) to get any service from. going to try SCB today, and perhaps a different larger branch of kasikorn but not hope full there.

else its just going to be cash instead. not going to ring amex as i really dont want to go to bkk.

Edited by 4dyg

4 hours 4 different banks result: fail still have my baht less withdrawal and then redeposit fees for interprovince.

sewn up tighter than a ducks arse.

yes it easy to get your money in just as long as you dont want to take it out.

this isnt the first time.

will be years again before i again transfer any more money in now, if ever. twice bitten thrice shy.

Edited by 4dyg

forgot to mention that siam commercial bank also called in the tourist police and an immigration officer to check out the transfer of my own money,. you have been warned. and then as i said even though documents were in order, head office still nixed the transfer.

Edited by 4dyg

two times in the past when these thai financial institution refused to do what they are supposed to resulted in me losing a hefty percentage of my investments.

first time was a couple of days before the baht crashed in the financial crisis i went in to get a demand draft in usd purchased with my thai baht for virtuall 100% of the thai baht i held. they balk and refused and simply wouldnt do it. subsequently i lost heavily,

second time was the same day thai time the us financial crisis hit. i went in and added extra money to my account so i had enought capital to be able to short and at the same time asked to short. they said you have to wait till you have a closing amount above the capital limit for shorting. it closed lower than required then that night the us crisis hit,

it is the thai business model and theory: everything will be ok if we all go bankrupt together.

take care all.

Edited by merry skipper