Electronic Safe

1BADDAT

What is the best place to find an inexpensive electronic safe? I am not really worried about ultimate security, just something that I can use to lock up passport and extra keys...etc to keep them a little more secure. I tried Big C extra last night but I was told they do not carry them anymore. Does Makro or HomePro carry them? Also Mega home is on my home from work in Rayong, so I will stop there first.

Pinky Jimmy on Pattaya Tai stock them in all sizes. Pinky Jimmys on Pattaya Tai is about 100m past the entrance to Duck square on the opposite side of the road, that is if you are coming from Sukhumvit. Huge big new building hard to miss!!

"Electronic" safe for home use?

I find them useless.

Why?

To avoid the battery empty situation they additionally have a mechanical lock with a key.

The electrical (magnet plus coil) opening mechanisms of the cheap safes are total crap and are too easy to manipulate.

So you have a key anyway plus a crappy/unsafe electrical opener.

We have a purely mechanical one at home (with key and number wheel).

Don't they have a selection of them at the "OfficeMate" shops?

In their online shop they have a huge selection:

http://www.officemate.co.th/Department/74/%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%89%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%9F?IsBreadCrumbUp=True&Paths=22

"Opening a safe with a potato!", one of my youtube favorites tongue.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyGhEIbZLUU

The crap shown in the video is still sold in large numbers in Thailand and can be found at cheaper hotels.

If you want something small and cheap, look for a sturdy steel box with holes in the base to fix them with screws and anchor bolts.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I find them useless.

Why?

To avoid the battery empty situation they additionally have a mechanical lock with a key.

When battery empty you need to replace the batteries and use the mastercode to open. You can't open with the key only when battery empty.

At all time you have to enter electronic code and key to open

I find them useless.

Why?

When battery empty you need to replace the batteries and use the mastercode to open. You can't open with the key only when battery empty.

Definitely wrong.

I had this scenario more than once during my last hotel stay.

Due to mishap I had to call for help.

Bell boy (!) typed mastercode, done.

The safes that I have seen have the battery case on the inside.

See the video of the cheapo crap in my first post, the battery case is on the inside of the door and the mechanical lock is under the plastic cover in the middle of the front panel.

So tell me, how to enter the PIN in this situation.

The mastercode thing is the most disturbing aspect.

Many hotel operators "forget" to set "their" mastercode.

Find the default mastercode in the manual and in you are.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I find them useless.

Why?

Definitely wrong.

I had this scenario more than once during my last hotel stay.

Due to mishap I had to call for help.

Bell boy (!) typed mastercode, done.

The safes that I have seen have the battery case on the inside.

See the video of the cheapo crap in my first post, the battery case is on the inside of the door and the mechanical lock is under the plastic cover in the middle of the front panel.

So tell me, how to enter the PIN in this situation.

The mastercode thing is the most disturbing aspect.

Many hotel operators "forget" to set "their" mastercode.

Find the default mastercode in the manual and in you are.

It is the procedure for MY electronic safe. I don't stay in a hotel and I think neither the OP does.

My battery case is at the outside of the door, and I set my own mastercode. Brand is Leeco.

I find them useless.

Why?

That is not true of the one I bought at Makro. Just because that is how yours works does not mean it applies to all of them

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up the one at Makro for 1100. It works just fine for what I want it for. I am not trying to protect rare valuables. I am just interested in keeping my somewhat valuables not out in plain sight and somewhat secure.

I find them useless.

Why?

That is not true of the one I bought at Makro. Just because that is how yours works does not mean it applies to all of them

But because it doesn't apply to yours, doesn't mean it applies to none smile.png

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up the one at Makro for 1100. It works just fine for what I want it for. I am not trying to protect rare valuables. I am just interested in keeping my somewhat valuables not out in plain sight and somewhat secure.

Well if the batteries run flat and you forgot where you put the override key all you need is a spud to open them.tongue.png

If you can "pick it up" at Makro, so can someone else and take it from your home, including the contents.

Bolt it to a wall, or secure it in one ore another way.